Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sequoia Concern

EricJ

Hello! I have a 2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited - auto transmission. I've had it about 3 weeks.

Just tried 4wd on the street for the first time today.

The owners manual is very vague about what exactly should and shouldn't happen.

I push the 4wd button while driving. The 4 green wheels on the dash light up immediately and the orange differential light flashes. The orange differential light continues to flash until I release the gas for a second, then it stops flashing and you can hear the 4wd fully engage. Same thing when I go to release it.

The book is very vague on this, but I'm used to the old Ford Broncos, where 4wd would slam in the instant you pushed the button.

Anybody out there with a Sequoia that can tell me if this is normal?

Thanks!

Eric

I've had my Sequoia for about 6 weeks, and I'm in the exact same boat.. same senerio. You're right, the manual is very vaugue..

I'm watching your posting to find the answer as well.

Thanks for your response. At least you and I can be pretty sure we don't have an isolated defect.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use 4-wheel drive all the time. You are right about the manual being vague. But I have just learned it by trial and error.

Here is how I shift into 4-wheel: While driving <55 mph I push the 4-wheel button - then abruptly brake. If that doesn't work- then I go into reverse and it will switch.

Of course- you have to be careful not do do this around traffic. I'm lucky to be in the woods of Northern Michigan where I can be crazy. I take this on the back 2-tracks (snowmobile trails) all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

:o I share your concern. I however find that just giving the system time to engage and moving the shift lever to the neutral position and back into drive works. Although I don't think this is the recommended procedure, it works :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links