Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lift Bolts On Cts

CraigR

Hi Guys,

Are you guys aware of the lift bolt issue with the 2zz engine? The reason I say is that I've been briefly looking around and seeing that noone has really mentioned it.

Basically the engine has a design fault, in that two 26p bolts hold the cams in position, and these bolts are known to wear down and snap. Although you probably won't notice for a while, eventually the cams will be able to move and you'll lose 'Lift'.

Many celica owners are having this problem, and its well documented in the States. The trouble is as always, is that Toyota won't recognise the issue (money :censor: ) surprise, surprise, and you probably won't know any different until your out of warranty.

Thought you guys with the CTS should know.

http://www.everythingcelica.com/tech/tsb2/TSB_liftbolts.pdf

http://www.teamcelica.com/tech/installs/liftbolts/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• T128

• bec-tsport

• martenj76

Does anyone know if it has been fixed in 2003 - 2005 models then?

Quote from link nr.2 "There is a TSB (#EG010-03) issued regarding intake and exhaust lift bolts for 2000-2002 GT-S models."

So newer engines should be fixed then i hope

But i think it is weird that they only mention the 2000 - 2002 Celica and no other models with the 2ZZGE engine. The Corolla, the Runx, the Matrix and the Pointac Vibe also share the same engine.

No matter, as its the same engine and Toyota haven't resolved the issue as its a design fault.

Seriously guys I would get this checked out before your warranty runs out. The trouble is that most dealers look at you, like your f**king mad and haven't a clue what you're on about. Best to go to Shuttys place at Huddersfield Toyota or West Riding Toyota in Yorkshire, as they are fully aware of this issue, and have fixed many of our celicas at celica club.

I'm trying to find you a picture of the evidence from our guys cars.

N.B Just to add that my GF's CTS had her lift bolts changed at her 20k service and they had worn quite badly. I'm now changing hers and mine every 10k.

If these bolts snap and fall into the oil gallery for example, you are looking at a 5 hour plus labour bill, not to mention parts. Of course this is fine if the cars in warranty, but one guy at TOC! just landed a £900 bill for this very issue.

only mention the 2000 - 2002 Celica and no other models with the 2ZZGE engine. The Corolla, the Runx, the Matrix and the Pointac Vibe also share the same engine.

This is obviously related to the fact that Celicas with 2ZZGE engine are more years in the streets.

I think there will be no problems if all Toyota dealerhsips have got instructions to check the lift bolts during regular services.

only mention the 2000 - 2002 Celica and no other models with the 2ZZGE engine. The Corolla, the Runx, the Matrix and the Pointac Vibe also share the same engine.

This is obviously related to the fact that Celicas with 2ZZGE engine are more years in the streets.

I think there will be no problems if all Toyota dealerhsips have got instructions to check the lift bolts during regular services.

I'm afraid that Toyota haven't made a general release on this issue. :ffs: Try going down to your dealership and asking if the know about the intake and exhaust lift bolt problem. I'll put money on it that they don't :angry:

As for the services - Thing like this isn't checked during a normal service, so they won't ever be found. I'm afraid that Toyota are washing their hands of this problem, because they don't want the huge recall costs involved. They would rather keep it quiet and pay for warranty issues as they happen, but like I said before, most of people losing lift, due to these bolts, doesn't happen until after the warranty period has expired.

Try going down to your dealership and asking if the know about the intake and exhaust lift bolt problem. I'll put money on it that they don't  :angry:

Now, you touched a very sensitive point !!!

They would not be able to answer even simpler questions, since I have the 1st 2ZZGE engine serviced by the dealership.

Here's a picture of a UK 2002 Celica (2zz) which had only done 16k

12lift_bolt_snapped.jpg

Indeed, lift bolt design has been changed several times, however I am also sure that half of the people broke them when they were trying to get them out :-).

I would check them if your lift isnt working (which is how you notice it) or near the end of the warranty period... I was never too concerned about it personally...

Indeed, lift bolt design has been changed several times, however I am also sure that half of the people broke them when they were trying to get them out :-).

I would check them if your lift isnt working (which is how you notice it) or near the end of the warranty period... I was never too concerned about it personally...

I think your very naive if you believe that. :!Removed!: :eek: . You obviously don't mind a £550+ bill to fix this issue if the car is out of warranty?

These bolts were not broke by the people removing them, they were broken in situ. The UK picture was taken by a UK toyota dealer in Yorkshire, who is aware of this issue, and recommended that his clients have them replaced to prevent the loss of lift..

My bolts actually broke, and had fallen into the oil gallery. Again would have cost £60 to replace this part alone.

Please listern to the above information from craigr as i was not aware of the issue until TOC! brought it up and got mine changed. :D

Here we go again ...

...yet another problem with the CTS :o

The list just gets longer every year!

Seriously, (and I said this on another post as well) I feel very sorry for the owners of these vehicles because they are very expensive to buy. If I spent that much on a car (and in view of the fact how new it is) I would want it to be perfect. In this day and age it is not too much to expect.

Good luck to you all in your complaint and I hope Toyota "eats humble pie".

No problems what so ever with my CTS so far so i don't really complain. But when i read about the faulty bolts in the CTS i get a bit worried. But i think the "perfect" car today with no problems at all doesn't exist really. Not when production and margins on prices is cut.

I really love my CTS and i still think it is worth every penny.

Not when production and margins on prices is cut.

Not when production and margins on prices is cut... ...hmm <_< Sir you do have a point, fair comment :)

I have a CTS to and no problem here ither. And i think toyota know about it if there is a big problem and check the bults on service.

And i think toyota know about it if there is a big problem and check the bults on service.

Another naive person :blink:

Why don't you ask your dealer about this then, and see what he or she says. I will be glad to know their response.

:D They dont check them on service im afraid, If they did why had mine gone through a service and it wasn't picked up on !!! I love my CTS and thats why i got it checked out as i respect my car and dont want a massive bill after the warrenty runs out. PLEASE LISTEN!

I will check my bolts. I don't want anything to happen to my love :D

I am going to enlighten everyone at my swedish forum/community www.corollatsport.com also where i'm site admin.

This all looks quite worrying. Will the dealer actually just check and change the bolts under warranty. Surely they going to object to stripping the engine down when if they ask, have you a problem with the "Lift" and I say no, its just that there reports about the bolts wearing on the Owners Club Forum.

Will they honestley just do it because i would be surprised if at the time you don't actually have a visible problem with the cars behaviour and it only appears to be a problem documented with Toyota for the Celica. Has anyone had the problem with Lift on their Corolla. I know they have the same engine but so far nothing relates to the Corolla apart from the engine...........

This all looks quite worrying.  Will the dealer actually just check and change the bolts under warranty.  Surely they going to object to stripping the engine down when if they ask, have you a problem with the "Lift" and I say no, its just that there reports about the bolts wearing on the Owners Club Forum. 

Will they honestley just do it because i would be surprised if at the time you don't actually have a visible problem with the cars behaviour and it only appears to be a problem documented with Toyota for the Celica.   Has anyone had the problem with Lift on their Corolla.  I know they have the same engine but so far nothing relates to the Corolla apart from the engine...........

Unfortunately most dealers won't have a clue what your taking about if you mention this to your local dealer, or they will try fobbing you off. The reason being is that Toyota GB/Japan etc won't admit to this fault, because of the millions of $/yen/£ they will lose by doing a recall. They are more willing to have to deal with individuals who complain. This means that most dealership haven't even been told about the problem.

To be honest they don't need to strip the engine down, because they just need to take the top engine (rocker cover) to get to them.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Like I said before, it's when your car runs out of warranty 3-5 years down the line, the cams will shift out of position, because of these bolts are no longer holding them in place. This will prevent the cam change over at 6200k revs so you no longer have lift.

There are a couple of very friendly and helpful dealerships they will happily check and change these bolts for you. No charge if its under warranty, but I'm afraid that they are in Yorkshire. These dealers are contacts through TOC!, and although I live in Swindon I make the 200+ mile trip to ensure my Celica is looked after properly.

The bolt number for these bolt in the Uk are:

Part # 90105-06293 x 2 (Approx 26p each)

Some threads you may wish to read:

Losing lift

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=18934

Dealership reactions

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=22634

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=21414

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=19650

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=15539

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=16262

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=11242

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...24873&view=next

Sorry, but alot of pictures off the forum are missing, because links were messed up when we had the forum revamped recently.

If anyone wants to PM me, then I will send them the locations of the dealers. Or if you wanna ask me any questions, that's no problem either.