• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• T128

• bec-tsport

• Norfolk n Chance

CraigR,

Just give ONE example of lift bolts wearing off in after 2002 2zz-ges here or overseas, and stop panicking.

I think his already done that if you look at GraigR previous posts. There is plenty of photos and documentation so what do you mean unless of course you mean examples of Corollas that have had this problem as nobody so far has mentioned a problem with a Corolla, only Celicas.

No. The oldest car in his links is 2002. Also the users who did not supply age of their cars, you can see they all joined the forum i 2002, so most probably their cars are also from 2002.

Again. ONE example of past 2002 lift bolt problem, and I'll shut up and apologize. I've been following newcelica forum for over 2 years now, and theres no single case of lift bolt problem in cars made after 2002.

Besides, if there really is a problem, everybody can check/solve it for negligible sum, and there really is no reason for this kind of panic.

No. The oldest car in his links is 2002. Also the users who did not supply age of their cars, you can see they all joined the forum i 2002, so most probably their cars are also from 2002.

Again. ONE example of past 2002 lift bolt problem, and I'll shut up and apologize. I've been following newcelica forum for over 2 years now, and theres no single case of lift bolt problem in cars made after 2002.

Besides, if there really is a problem, everybody can check/solve it for negligible sum, and there really is no reason for this kind of panic.

Actually the celica forum was only started in 2002, and cars of all ages are showing this problem. I have only post those examples (plenty of them) because they are the only people that happen to post about it and provide pictures about it. Some people like you, don't want to recognise the problem and do something about it before it's too late.

Ever heard the saying that prevention is better than cure?

To be honest mate I was trying to help people out, and I don't give a sh*t whether your car stops functioning properly, and you're landed with a huge bill to fix the problem in the future.

To be honest mate I was trying to help people out, and I don't give a ***** whether your car stops functioning properly, and you're landed with a huge bill to fix the problem in the future.

I understand, and really apprieciate this (like other users) :thumbsup: . IMHO it just was too panicky, and could mislead some people.

We should be aware of the possible lift bolt problem, but I believe that in post 2002 models its marginal.

To sum up, lets just say, that every 2zz-ge owner should replace his lift-bolts just before the end of warranty period. :D

cheers

Although I do not own anything as modern as a T Sport Corolla or 'Generation 7' Celica (and most amazing vehicles they are). I have found this posting very interesting to read.

CraigR has gone to a lot of time and trouble to 'alert' people of this problem (both present and future owners).

I'm sure a lot of other members will agree CraigR has done a great job!

:thumbsup:

Although I do not own anything as modern as a T Sport Corolla or 'Generation 7' Celica (and most amazing vehicles they are). I have found this posting very interesting to read.

CraigR has gone to a lot of time and trouble to 'alert' people of this problem (both present and future owners).

I'm sure a lot of other members will agree CraigR has done a great job!

:thumbsup:

Thanks matey. :group-cuddles: :D

Both my bolts snapped, so I am going to do the work myself and change them every 10,000 miles. This is a fundimental design fault by Toyota, and its another case of where the customer has to look after him/herself, because the manufacturer won't.

In one of the posts, one guy has just been landed a £900 repair bill for just this issue.

CraigR, in Greece where I live, Toyota offers a 6-year warranty period or 180.000 km. What makes you believe that they are so generous to us and not to British people, if there are so expensive-to-fix mulfunctions in the 2ZZ-GE engine?

If a change is required every 10.000 miles (16.000 km), then this means that Toyota has to change the bolts 11 times, at their own cost within the warranty period of my TS!!!!

CraigR, in Greece where I live, Toyota offers a 6-year warranty period or 180.000 km. What makes you believe that they are so generous to us and not to British people, if there are so expensive-to-fix mulfunctions in the 2ZZ-GE engine?

If a change is required every 10.000 miles (16.000 km), then this means that Toyota has to change the bolts 11 times, at their own cost within the warranty period of my TS!!!!

I give up :rolleyes:

You don't have to change them every 10,000 miles, but I am personally changing them every 10,000 to prevent the risk of them ever breaking again.

CraigR thanks for the warning. :thumbsup:

yes you are absolutely right all tsport owners should be aware of this problem ,from what i can see on your photo i agree with you,toyota only made a quick fixed and have not cure the problem.

if the lift bolts snaps then surly the metal use for these bolts are not strong enough for is purpose.

even if some of you people are taking your car in just before the warrenty run out that wont cure the problem you are just buying time untill the bolt wears down again and snap what do you do then ?.

this is a real problem i can only see two options, either toyota come up with a REAL fixed or you lot better start to learn how to change the lift bolt yourself like CraigR.

but i am sure toyota wont fixed this problem they are too busy making unnecessary facelifts to care about us current toyota owners far as they concern they have talking our money so TOUGH LUCK

later i am out of here but will come back if or when is necessary

CraigR thanks for the warning. :thumbsup:

yes you are absolutely right all tsport owners should be aware of this problem ,from what i can see on your photo i agree with you,toyota only made a quick fixed and have not cure the problem.

if the lift bolts snaps  then surly the metal use for these bolts are not strong enough for is purpose.

even if some of you people are taking your car in just before the warrenty run out that wont cure the problem you are just buying time untill the bolt wears down again and snap what do you do then ?.

this is a real problem i can only see  two options, either toyota come up with a REAL fixed or you lot better start to learn how to change the lift bolt yourself like CraigR.

but i am sure toyota wont fixed this problem they are too busy making unnecessary facelifts to care about us current toyota owners far as they concern they have talking our money so TOUGH LUCK

Toyota has modified this bolt once, and it doesn't wear down as quickly, but they still need checking. Many dealers simply don't care, unless you find a decent one.

Hello guys,

I'm a french driver! Here in France, I've never heard a problem with lift bolts! strange isn't it?

I'm very interesting (and certainly many Corolla french owners) because I have a Corolla Tsport 2002 and 37.000 km

CraigR, just a simple and naive question!

How to know if the bolts are broken? Perhaps a light on Dashboard? Do you have some examples of symptom to check the bolts problem?

Cheers

Daniel

Hello guys,

I'm a french driver! Here in France, I've never heard a problem with lift bolts! strange isn't it?

I'm very interesting (and certainly many Corolla french owners) because I have a Corolla Tsport 2002 and 37.000 km

CraigR, just a simple and naive question!

How to know if the bolts are broken? Perhaps a light on Dashboard? Do you have some examples of symptom to check the bolts problem?

Cheers

Daniel

I'm afraid you won't know if they are broken until you check the engine. You see the car can still function properly for a while with the bolts broken, because its not until the cams move out of allignment do you lose 'lift'.

i do have decend toyota dealer but is give and take ,you see any warrenty works carry out on my car my dealer claim back from toyota GB,so if this is not know issue from toyota GB, then i am sure they wont touch it .

but i am not worry as i will do it myself i am more then capable and it shouldn't take me more than 20 minutes.

for example i have just fixed the issue with the stereo and air vent which is well know on cts doesn't fit properly, i was force to have a go i have taking my car in 3 time and the last time i spoke to the dealers about it they just said there is nothing they can do they think is the weather coursing the dash expand and shrink so i gave up and fixed it myself which i am very happy with it now

once again later i am out of here but will come back if or when is necessary

All you say is true, but alot of dealers simply think your talking a crock of s**t, and won't even listen to you, let alone check with Toyota GB.

Its an easy job to do, unless the bolts are broken. Then is becomes a real pain in the ar*e.

my toyota dealer do listen to me i do have a special kind of relationship i suppose :D

i always jokes with all the managers in the dealership and the rest of the gang but i must say am closes with bodywork manager and the mechanics loves the ideas i have for my cts when i speak to them.

back to the lift bolts like i said before if toyota GB dont give the go ahead then toyota dealer wont touch it and i cannot blame my dealer for that

ONLY PEOPLE TO BLAME IS TOYOTA.CO.UK AND TOYOTA.COM

i am getting tired keep saying this not been here for so long anyway :

later i am out of here but will come back if or when is necessary :D

My corolla t sport is an 03 and had the bolt problem and now thankfully fixed! Thanks CraigR  :thumbsup:

What do you mean? They were broken or u just listened to Craig's alert and went to have it checked on your own?

How many miles/kms before this happened?

Thanx m8!

my toyota dealer do listen to me i do have a special kind of relationship i suppose :D

i always jokes with all the managers in the dealership and the rest of the gang but i must say am closes with bodywork manager and the mechanics loves the ideas i have for my cts when i speak to them.

back to the lift bolts like i said before if toyota GB dont give the go ahead then toyota dealer wont touch it and i cannot blame my dealer for that

ONLY PEOPLE TO BLAME IS TOYOTA.CO.UK AND TOYOTA.COM

i am getting tired keep saying this not been here for so long anyway :

later i am out of here but will come back if or when is necessary  :D

Yeah I totally agree that its Toyota fault and not the dealers, but some dealers won't even inspect the problem properly even if you pay them to inspect it. I heard of quite a few stories of dealers saying, ah there nothing wrong with them, even if you show them proof. If the bolt falls into the oil gallery, like it did with mine, then it is a warranty payout.

Luckily I get on with my dealer in Yorkshire very, very well, but I hate my local dealership (Swindon) as their customer service is totally crap.

Some dealers don't even know about new models coming out, even when customers ask about. Check out the Yaris thread for example....

Anyway I'll shut-up now :lol:

CraigR you must stop dragging me back.lol :D is people like you makes me want to joint a club :group-cuddles: lol

if your 3 years warrenty have run out i am pretty sure they WILL inspect it for a fee (which i will not pay them to do) but why would you want them to inspect it after the warrenty have run out specily you know how to do this yourself.

just keep doing what you think is right

i do feel the vibe you are giving out that you do care about your cars and there nothing wrong changing the bolts every 10.000 miles after all it cost less than a pound takes 20 minutes job done

you have done your best no need to explain to anyone anymore unless you feel the need

they either accept it as a problem or accept the consequence when there lift bolt snaps

once again dont think is the dealers fault once again is a toyota fault they either not told the dealers or they order them not say anything

i am sure when your wive got her cts the dealer told you and ur wive that the corolla been out 2 years etc..... and is not likely to be change well thats the crap i was told

what you must do is not to fall in toyota 's trap again like buying another brand new toyota again

there are good cars out this year once again i highly recommend the golf the new golf i had a brand new turbo diesel golf for 2 weeks and my god! they really goes but the price tag is very expensive i might wait till the end of the year only if i can get a good price for a p/x for a used one year old turbo diesel golf they are very cheap to run the fuel gaunge hardly ever drop and the built quality is super the dash is fantastic :thumbsup: :D

ok i mean it this time :P

ps:CraigR see you on the celica forum ;)

To be honest, all new cars arent made like they used to, because of mass production. The golf has masses of problems too (i.e gearbox failure), not to mention a totally overinflated price tag on all there models.

I would never buy another car again that wasn't Japanese.

i do agree that all new cars now days do have there own problems but reason i mention the new golf is because i drive one for two weeks and the golf feel like a brand new car should be ,it has no rattles or squeak on bumpy roads and the wind nosie inside the car travelling at 70mph well you just dont notice any to me thats built quality

the e12 corollas does rattle and squeak but in a acceptable level JUST! that means dont drive on bad condition bumpy roads.

funny you should mention about the gear box i find the golf gearbox is as smooth as babys bum i wouldn't know if there is problems with the gearbox in the long run only use the car for 2 weeks and i am very happy with it and i really didn't want to give it back

i can agree if a japaness car IS made in japan like your celica tsport then built quality would be higher, but the most of the e12 corolla are not made in japan and they do rattle on bumpy roads even the facelift model

the bulit standard of the e12 corolla is not that much better than a ford focus accept it has a better design than a foucs inside and out of course

as a current e12 corolla owner i have always said the celica tsport are a far better car than corolla tsport without a doult ,reason i didn't buy one cos i needed a car with four seats with large boot space and a engine with guts and the corolla gave me all that and i am still happy with my cts untill something better come along

My corolla t sport is an 03 and had the bolt problem and now thankfully fixed! Thanks CraigR  :thumbsup:

What do you mean? They were broken or u just listened to Craig's alert and went to have it checked on your own?

How many miles/kms before this happened?

Thanx m8!

I went and had them checked and although they were NOT broken they were VERY worn! My car had these checked and replaced on my 20k service.

I went and had them checked and although they were NOT broken they were VERY worn! My car had these checked and replaced on my 20k service.

Thanx m8! I will definetely go to my dealer this coming week and have the bolts checked. He will do it whether he likes it or not!!! :angry:

Thanx for all the info on this CraigR.Our CTS[53 reg] has just done over 10000 miles and I'm getting worried about pushing the revs up to land into lift. What if the dealer won't check and change the lift bolts if needed.Unfortunately I've not got the tech experience to do something like that myself.