Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Experiance Of A Gt4...

Celica Chris

Ok so i went and saw a GT4 i found in autotrader today... :drool:

went for a quick spin (no i dont spin the car or the wheels :P )

:D :D :D :D :D :D omg.. im sold..

->dynamic link http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=152899725

1996 TOYOTA CELICA GT4 Turbo,

N reg. 64000 miles, White ,Black cloth interior,18 inch OZ alloys,Factory electric glass sunroof,Air condtioning,performance exhaust,Induction kit,Kenwood CD. £6,895

White wasnt my first choice but this really caught my eye.. and im not going for the silver fad at the mo...

first impressions... well i see why we import.. the coachwork was faultless.. could not find any rust.. only chipped paint on the lip of the drivers door where they probably opened i into a wall a couple of times. not even noticable when closed..

started the engine and let it idle fo a little while... engine quickly settled into a nice idle and sounds.. um mmmm mmmm b e a utiful..

Its 18" OZ were in good knick.. no curbing, but a little paint flecks on a couple.. not a problem. The more i think about these alloys the more i like em... looked the right size on the car and would save me £1000+ on changing the standard alloys and tyres since im not a fan of 3 spokes (dropped them off my mitsu cold mirage as soon as i could affor some 16" superlegaras.)

Um the inside was !Removed! and span, normal wear and tear on the gear nobs and steering wheel.. all the cloth seemed in very good condition. A funny rippling of the drivers door padding where the driver probably stuck his elbow for a few years... but thats fine.. softened up nicely for mine.

Its got an after market intake and exhause with sucks and rumbles very sweetly. Actually quite amazed at the amout of whitling air through the intake. LUSH!

Ride was stiff and no knocking that i could hear.

Ok.. my only gripe (and the only reason im on here and not on the phone to my insurance company getting it changed for a gt4) When he started the engine and left it running we went out for a drive... i noticed the ecu light was on. Now i presume this was an ecu light.. the orange light on the right side of the dash that resembles a starter motor symbol.

This stayed on for the 10 minute ride. However we stopped the car and restarted it at which point it did not come back on. Now im guessing that this could mean one of many things and that i should go down there with a list of ecu error codes and figure out what it is....

From your experiance do these lights come on often> and now that i have seen it should i walk away? or could it be something benine like a spark plug needing replacing..

Oh damn i want one now.. vrooooom pshhhh *whisshing sucking sound* vroooom...

im gonna have a cold shower... brb..

£1200 more than i paid ,but you are getting those wheels ,the ecu light could be the coolant sensor in the chargecooler ,its tempremental if the levels aint right .my light has never ever come on and i'd recommend you find out whats wrong with it .dont be smitten by the power and looks.hold your horses and slow down.get it 100% sorted before you hand over best part of 7k.

dont buy it til you pull the ecu error codes, the light sometimes doesnt come on til you hit 1800rpm. a knock sensor is a biotch to get at and costs a packet, if its been ran with an error for a long time it may have other issues.

for ECU Error Codes and how to pull them look here http://www.gtfours.co.uk/

click on the 'how to'

you know you must have a 3sgte powered car.

Thanks as always ladies n gents.

maleborn, what milage and year did u get for that money? was it a good deal?

i think ill do an RAC check.. and check out the ecu codes myself .. but not in that order... and go for a longer test drive.

I dont know if i dont want the light to come on again... or i do so i know whats actually up with it...

a knock sensor tells the ECU when the engine is dettonating and then the ECU retards the timing to save the engine.

dettonation is where the petrol in hte chamber ignites before the piston it ready to start it's down stroke.

1995 66,000 miles jap import ,full service history and a minter as avatar. :thumbsup:

i have been frequenting your site already djdna2000, and i thank you for taking the time to put it together =)

no problem. I've been a bit rubbish at updating it recently, but I've got a load of stuff ot stick on there...

Well if you ever want some help with updating, site design or whatever I can help with then just shout mate. Been loads of help. Just pm me if so.

Incidently i took it out for another test drive today. Really impressed at lack of any rattles or knocking... infact when i got in my mitsubishi of the same age and milage to go home i thought someone had swapped my gear box out for an abused 200k old truck gearbox and unscrewed all the body panels... Im surprised at how easy it was to drive.. (ill let a secret out now, im 22 and not driven a car like that before, hmm except a 2.0 T volvo lol...)

No fair, iv got them wheels too. They do look damn good though

hehe they do look awesome, especially on your black beast. I am a huge fan of rally styling.

While your here mate can you answer me a couple of questions.

How did the handling and responce change when u swapped them for the standard thick walled 16"s.

Also.. i presume the ride hight didnt change very much because i still cant tell the difference in the squat stance of the car.

How much do you pay for tires.. and infact how much would the alloys cost me from new... if i did have to buy some.

last and but not least... the sticker above ur bonet vent.. I would like to put one black lettered sticker along one side of the front splitter and maybe on on the back or side skirts. Nothing rediculous... something subtle.. be it a manufacturer lable or a gt4 style lable. any suggestions where to look for one?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links