Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2zz-ge Ecu Tunning

takumi

Hi there ...

After much discussion with various tuners here in South Africa the major problem encountered on our 2ZZ-GE's is the fact that fuelling is out considerably !!! They all basically gurantee at 7kW at the wheels increase with some claiming increases of up to 18 % over stock in some instances !!

We basically have three options available other than going stand alone -

1. Dastek Unichip

2. Perfect Power SMT-6

3. RAM Mapping

Each person says that their system is the best and works on the 2ZZ-GE, but when i ask for references and dyno's to back up claims it all goes quiet.

So basically i love my car and don't want to do the wrong thing.

Guys could you please help me with advice - I would appreciate before and after dyno's to. What are the trends in Japan in this regard - From what i have seen they favour the Apexi Power AFC II, TRUST E-Manange, but i can't seem to find any concrete on our cars specific.

Also what octane fuel do you guys use ?

Have any of you tried Octane Boosters ? Do They work ??

You can even e-mail me directly tparker@oldmutual.com

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Also what octane fuel do you guys use ?

Have any of you tried Octane Boosters ? Do They work ??

You can even e-mail me directly tparker@oldmutual.com

Any help will be greatly appreciated

I am not competent enough to advise on 'Chip settings' and 'Re maping' etc (What happened to good 'ole set of Twin 45's :lol:Only know 'old Skool tuning )

As for fuel in Britain we have standard Unleaded: 95octain and 'Super' unleaded: 98octain. When running an 'Oldtimer' or 'tuned' car we tend to pick the 'Super'/98 octain.

As for Octain boosters I'm not to keen (along with other vehicle club members) there are a lot of "Wonder products" but no respected Establishment in the vehicle field seems to really endorse any.

I would definitely go for the Apexi Power FC as its a stand alone ECU, where as the E-manage is just a piggy back, and very limited.

Try www.nengun.com for a decent supplier

I would definitely go for the Apexi Power FC as its a stand alone ECU, where as the E-manage is just a piggy back, and very limited.

Greddy e-Manage is not limited at all. It is supposed to be one of the state-of-the-art piggyback computers available nowadays. It has many functions, it is not noticeable to any Toyota diagnostic tool and it can alter the VVTL-i point (I know that from a friend's TSport who has altered the lift engagement point by the use of e-Manage).

Anyways...I aggree that Apexi's PFC is by far the best solution but since it is a complete stand alone E.C.U (which means you have to replace your stock one to that from Apexi) it needs extremely cautious tuning and a very experienced tuner, since he has to re-program the whole E.C.U. from scratch.

Unfortunately in Greece there is no such tuner (at least to my knowledge) who would tune the PFC without causing a number of other problems. This is mostly the main "customer-tuner" problem down here, which prevents most of us from turning to that solution. That's why I chose piggyback instead PFC.

The reason I chose Unichip over e-Manage was purely money-wise. I had a splendid offer by a greek tuner which I couldn't deny. For the time being Unichip is a little limited comparing to Greddy. At least it cannot alter the VVTL-i point but, as my tuner said, he is waiting for new software from DASTEK. We will see...!! :unsure:

Here is something that was explained to me by an excellent mechanic.

The Power FC is an excellent tuning tool. It is one up on the piggy back units like the Greddy eManage which can only modify signals for the main ECU, not actually create them. The Power FC has fully mappable (3D) for ignition and injection as well as numerous adjustment params. It is NOT as good as a full blown replacement EMS like the FCON as it doesnt allow access to all internal settings, so you cant rescale a temp probe for example, or use a wideband O2 siganl to drive the closed loop setup as per the AEM system.

The biggest plus side of the Power FC is that you can plug it in really easily, takes all of about 5 minutes if you work slow and have a cup of tea on the go. this means you can fit it, do some mapping, and if its still not 100% then pull it out and plug in your stock unit. This also means that come MOT time you can just fit in the stock ECU and gain all of Toyotas fine tuning for emmissions control in seconds. on top of all that, should a warranty claim arise, just unplug the Power FC and fit the stock ECU, I reckon you must be getting the point by now 

The biggest downside to having the Power FC is the lack of tuners who know how to set them up. In the UK there are NO Power Exel dealers (the apexi cream of the crop). This means that no one has a genuione copy of the software or necessary hardware, which is why the Datalogit exists. The lack of experience from most tuners will lead to extended times on the dyno and possibly more visits in the future. This obviously raises the overall tuning costs.

The Power FC fits perfectly in the original ECU box, in fact its a touch smaller than the stock unit. mine is in the car along with all the fuses and relays to minimise cost damage in case of an engine fire, this is pretty standard practice in a serious track car. Also the battery is in the boot as its a sealed unit and in a fire will generate hydrogen and explode big time, so you definitely dont want that in the engine bay.

In short, the Power FC is not the best of the best, it is the most economical solution for our engines, it gives enough flexibility to get decent gains and doesnt close the door to future expansion work.

Hope this helps.

It helps a great deal Craig, but still, what the mechanic says above about the lack of experienced tuners just reinforce my point of view about the PFC.

I never said that it's a piece of junk...on the contrary, I would very much want to have it but who on earth will tune it?

I hope you see my point now...

Anyway...thanx a million about the above statement! :thumbsup:

It helps a great deal Craig, but still, what the mechanic says above about the lack of experienced tuners just reinforce my point of view about the PFC.

I never said that it's a piece of junk...on the contrary, I would very much want to have it but who on earth will tune it?

I hope you see my point now...

Anyway...thanx a million about the above statement!  :thumbsup:

Yeah no problem mate, but you can street tune the PFC with the datalogit software. Check this link out about a guy called Oli doing his at present.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread...threadid=160890

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/cgibin/phpbb2...pic.php?t=24912

Hi,

Astakos, theres absolutely nooo way you can change lift engagement with e-manange. Greddy says that, all american tuners say that, all polish tuners say that and all hungarian tuners say that. Your friend is lying. Besides, if youl look carefully at newcelica.org, you'll notice, that there's absolutely no point in changing lift engagement at all!!!

The best choice so far is:

1. Apexi (no tuners in eu)

2. SMT6 (if you have intake/exhaust mods)

3. ECU remap if you have stock intake/exhaust

Hi guys,

Had a quick look on the apexi website and noticed the pfc is for the celica 2zz-ge, and there wasn't one for the corolla 2zz-ge. any ideas?

Hi,

Astakos, theres absolutely nooo way you can change lift engagement with e-manange. Greddy says that, all american tuners say that, all polish tuners say that and all hungarian tuners say that. Your friend is lying.

You are absolutely right imek. My mistake. My friend did not lie...it is me who misunderstood him in the first place. He has changed the lift point but not through e-Manage (which is not capable of) but through his stock E.C.U.

He did that when he was in Japan for a field trip for his PhD.

So I am sorry everybody for this silly mistake and for misleading the entire thread!! :!Removed!:

BTW, imek...are you happy with the fidanza flywheel? Any problems so far especially at cold startings? Any advantages (if u know) over the TRD's or Unorthodox Racing's?

Ideally you wanna lower the 'lift' change over by 200 revs. Its not a lot but it helps get the power on a bit earlier. The best thing to do is raise the rev limiter to say 8600-9000 so that you can easily land lift, without bouncing off the limiter all the time.

You can engage lift when accelerating to 6000rpm, and you can allow it to drop down to the lower camshaft at 5800rmp when de-accelerating with the PFC.

Astakos, no probs at all. Read newcelica.org - you'll know everything. 4 years of experience with 2zz-ge

Theres no point in lowering lift engagement, since the hi-cam below 6200 makes less power than low-cam.

You can change the rev limit by replacing crystals in ecu.

Astakos, no probs at all. Read newcelica.org -  you'll know everything. 4 years of experience with 2zz-ge

Theres no point in lowering lift engagement, since the hi-cam below 6200 makes less power than low-cam.

You can change the rev limit by replacing crystals in ecu.

The only way you can alter the rev limit is with the Apexi Power FC, not a stock Toyota ECU.

True, you lose a small marginal amount of power, but the sooner you can get on the higher cam then the faster the power increase comes in.

VVTLbigvslittle.gif

mwrcelipfcgraph.gif

The only way you can alter the rev limit is with the Apexi Power FC, not a stock Toyota ECU.

Oh, you are sooo wrong :)

:eek:http://www.c2design.hu/celica/ECU/crystals.jpg :eek:

You have to locate that 2 chrystals and cheange it 1 or 2 MHZ higher. I think it

is 16MHZ now so you need 17 or 18MHZ.

2 MHz = 10200

1 MHz = 9200

Keep tryin' man!

:thumbsup:

Sure, PFC is great, but theres no one in Poland to tune it.

Besides, crystals+SMT6+tune (2 maps) is gonna cost me like 250 GPB, so i think its a steal. IMHO not worth spending additional 300(?) GPB to get like 5 hp/5 Nm more...

FYI, the ECU remap to 205 hp is 100GPB in Poland :)

hi there ..

thanx to all regarding the info - really top info ...

Raising the rev limiter a bit is an option i want to consider ...

My current limiter is 8200 , our new face lifted corolla released here has a 8300 limiter only 100 rpm more but still and increase - i would love to see about 8500 personally ...

our guys are fairly in the dark here as far as the tunning is concerned ..

maybe you guys can help because we were wondering what happens to transponder in your key when your fit a standalone ecu unit ???

any info is appreciated.

hi there ..

thanx to all regarding the info - really top info ...

Raising the rev limiter a bit is an option i want to consider ...

My current limiter is 8200 , our new face lifted corolla released here has a 8300 limiter only 100 rpm more but still and increase - i would love to see about 8500 personally ...

our guys are fairly in the dark here as far as the tunning is concerned ..

maybe you guys can help because we were wondering what happens to transponder in your key when your fit a standalone ecu unit ???

any info is appreciated.

With the PFC for example you keep all functions on the car, but I'm afraid you lose the standard imobiliser .

is it really that simple ?? the reason i ask is because when we had our ecu's changed in sa we had to have our keys reprogrammed aswell .. leading me to believe that the ecu and keys were linked , which i thought meant it had something to do with total access to the car

With the PFC for example you keep all functions on the car, but I'm afraid you lose the standard imobiliser .

Hi, how possible is it to use the powerfc that is meant for the celica on the corolla t sport, does anyone know if its just a case of rewiring?

Because its the same engine. The only problem you'll have would be the harness that holds the ECU in position, but I'm sure you could overcome that.

Because its the same engine. The only problem you'll have would be the harness that holds the ECU in position, but I'm sure you could overcome that.

Ok maybe a bit mad but i'm gonna give it a go, just gotta find me a harness to modify and get the power-fc, dont suppose anyone knows where i would get the wiring diagrams for the celica and the corolla??