Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Future Of Japanese Car Companies.

mark_n

OK this is just the way I see things. The future of Japanese car companies is not looking too good at the moment. Toyota going and building the Aygo with PSA. The trouble Mitsubishi Motors is in. Renault owning 44% of Nissan. Nissan used to produce good cars but now they are using Renault engines and gearboxs. Mazda is owned by Ford now. I think Isuzu is at least part owned by the Americans.

What do you think?

Thanks.

You are correct with everything you say, yet in my eyes Japanese cars quality is brilliant and they sell plenty so why the 'troubles'.

Also firms like Ford and Renault do not build cars with such good quality but seem to be financially better off (and own other firms) ...why?

It just doesn't make sense

I think the problem is people buy what other people buy. Whats most common on the road these days? A load of rubbish really. Surrounded by Fords, Fiats, Vauxhalls, Renaults.

VW, Seat and Audi are German, but they are not as good as they used to be. They are going down hill in build quality and the like.

Hopefully, they wont comprimise on quality.

Crisis Posted Today, 12:32 PM

I think the problem is people buy what other people buy. Whats most common on the road these days? A load of rubbish really. Surrounded by Fords, Fiats, Vauxhalls, Renaults.

Yes that is right in regard to British roads but if you look at third world countries (and trouble spots such as Iraq and Afgahanistan) the amount that choose to use Jap Jalopies is amazing and why 'cause they keep going.

I know i've said this before on a posting but up to 15 years ago it used to be mainly old British Bangers (probabley left over from the days of the British Empire) in these countries with the odd 'Yank Tank' and VW Beetle. Now they all seem to have 10 to 25 year old !Removed!. That to me is the best test of what keeps going.

I cant say what could happen in the future but there is a lot of the smaller car companys being swollowed up by the big boys like GM, Ford , VW but as Toyota is a fairly large company i think they will be ok and its not unusualy for car companys to use other car companys to build a part or use an existing part from another manafacture as it can be cost effective to do so.

Tbh i cant see Toyota disapearing in the near future there too big and sell loads and loads of vehicles world wide and most if not all of their cars are well built and reliable.

Steve

you say toyotas a massive company but so's nissan and theyre part owned now!

japanese motor companies are spending the most money on research and development so this might explain the money troubles. they spend all the time and money for others to steal their hard work. remember hearing about vw and how theyre research gets stolen regularly and they only find out few years later when it appears on a competitors car.

houston Posted Today, 03:16 PM

japanese motor companies are spending the most money on research and development so this might explain the money troubles. they spend all the time and money for others to steal their hard work. remember hearing about vw and how theyre research gets stolen regularly and they only find out few years later when it appears on a competitors car.

I thought it was Japan who copied and improved, take the 4AGE Engine a copy of the Lotus Twin cam of the late 60's, but happily never leaks oil like the Lotus TC did.

you say toyotas a massive company but so's nissan and theyre part owned now!

Im saying i cant see Toyota being merged with in the near future as they are one of the best car makers in the world but im bias i have 2 of them.

theyll never ever go out of business believe me!

the Japanese are extremely clever when it comes to economics and things like exporting and import

just think (dont moan its a around figure i know!) as skyline R34 GTR was 54k brand new here, it was 29k over there.....

and how many european cars are in japan? not many ill tell you that!

they sell there own stuff very cheap in their homeland and then sell it twice as much to everyone else, keeps them afloat and people are more enticed to buy home grown stuff as import tax is banged on with an alarming value over there

Jap beer is also very cheap, while carlsberg will nail you about 6quid per pint!

they never go out of business!

Cuz they are smart, adaptive brilliant little buggers! Gotta love em really.

Must goto Jap land sometime :)

I think Toyota and Honda are the exceptions to the rule - both are consistently good on design, quality, resale values etc etc

I think both companies are strong enough and sell enough to withstand any buyouts - the Japanese are smart with their money, like Jaxx has already said.

I see a rosy future for Toyota, although their partnership with PSA Peugeot Citroen is slightly worrying for the new Aygo - I dont understand that for a second, unless its truly just to save money by building in the Czech Republic.....

toyota and honda are the only two that are stand alone aswell

Toyota's future not looking good? I dont think so! Toyota is the richest car maker in the world & could buy out GM & Ford & still have cash left over! Toyota is the 'world's' 12th biggest company not just car makers thats everything.

Toyota is already the biggest car maker by market value. With a market capitalization of $140 billion, it is nearly three times the size of second-ranked Honda Motor Co.

"Toyota's going to be No. 1. And whether they do it under the radar or by announcing it, it's going to happen," said Maryann Keller, a longtime automotive consultant and analyst.

Toyota already has overtaken Ford Motor Co. to become the world's second-largest automaker. By 2006, it is shooting to sell 8.5 million cars and trucks worldwide, edging close to GM, ranked No. 1 since 1931. If Toyota surpasses GM, that would have a profound psychological impact on the U.S. industry, one of the last manufacturing sectors where Americans still lead. It would also undermine GM's ability to dominate the industry and buffet smaller players such as DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group with its price wars.

As the two auto giants compete in every segment and every region, GM faces a dynamic challenger in Toyota that is not only similar in scale but also draws strength from its superior profitability.

Dont know if Mitsubishi Motors is doing well at the mo, Daimler-Chrysler owns part of Mitsubishi doesnt it? or is all of it? But didnt Daimler-Chrsyler get sold to Emirates Dubai bank or something?

As for Nissan using renault parts, ergh!!! Dont know if Mazda already do but hope Mazda wont use Ford engines like on the new Mazda3 & 6! Cos i know for a fact if u compare a mazda's own 1.3 engine & a Ford's own 1.3 engine, the Mazda 1.3 is much more reliable & powerful not to mention quieter. Why? Experience from both of these cars - a mazda 323 1.3LX & a Ford KA 1.3.

where does Subaru stand in the japanese car industry? Does anyone company own them?

dubs got it spot on

Toyota is probably one of the largest car manuafacturers there is. and prolly one of the richest too.

they is owned by yamaha!! :-) (im yamaha mad as my father is a yamaha engine dealer lol)

Dont know if Mitsubishi Motors is doing well at the mo, Daimler-Chrysler owns part of Mitsubishi doesnt it? or is all of it? But didnt Daimler-Chrsyler get sold to Emirates Dubai bank or something?

As for Nissan using renault parts, ergh!!! Dont know if Mazda already do but hope Mazda wont use Ford engines like on the new Mazda3 & 6! Cos i know for a fact if u compare a mazda's own 1.3 engine & a Ford's own 1.3 engine, the Mazda 1.3 is much more reliable & powerful not to mention quieter. Why? Experience from both of these cars - a mazda 323 1.3LX & a Ford KA 1.3.

where does Subaru stand in the japanese car industry? Does anyone company own them?

I think Subaru is owned to Fuji Heavy Industries.

they is owned by yamaha!! :-) (im yamaha mad as my father is a yamaha engine dealer lol)

Yamaha have done alot of engine work for Toyota but they dont own Toyota :D

I think Subaru is owned to Fuji Heavy Industries.

I think Subaru is now owned by GM

General Motors is THE biggest company in the world, theyre annual turnover exceeds toyotas. japanese companies are the biggest in terms or research which is why there able to take engines like the previously mentioned lotus tc and make them more reliable. inspiration is cheaper than knowledge

yamaha have done alot of engine work for Toyota but they dont own Toyota :D

aye, they made the cylinder head on my tubby! :thumbsup:

edit: what did i do to the quote? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
OK this is just the way I see things.  The future of Japanese car companies is not looking too good at the moment.  Toyota going and building the Aygo with PSA.  The trouble Mitsubishi Motors is in.  Renault owning 44% of Nissan.  Nissan used to produce good cars but now they are using Renault engines and gearboxs.  Mazda is owned by Ford now.  I think Isuzu is at least part owned by the Americans. 

What do you think? 

Thanks.

Well, Toyota is the 2nd largest automobile manufacturer in the world right now and still growing, while the number one, GM, has been losing sales steadily since the 1970's. Toyota has factories on every continent except Antartica and has arguably the best production methods in the industry. TPS is studied and imitated by just about everyone else, including GM

Toyota has more hard cash than anyone else in the industry. They have the most succesful hybrid technology on the market. They have the most popular 4x4's on the planet.

Toyota could buy and sell pretty much ANY of their competitors and it is VERY well protected against any takeover of its own stock. No way in hell could GM or anyone else "buy" Toyota. Not even close, mate. First of all, the big juggernauts that have been buying up others are all overextended-- they do not have the opportunity to buy anything else. Second, Toyota reinvests in itself and holds onto hard cash, instead of squandering it in ill concieved attempts to dominate the market, i.e. GM buying Saab etc. and turning it into crap.

Toyota is a lot smarter than that. They will be #1 by 2010 or soon thereafter, if you read the industry buzz, you'll see that is the general consensus.

Mitsubishi, of course, is f*cked.

Nissan is strong, but only under the watch of their French overlords.

Mazda is a pawn of Ford. Subaru is a pawn of GM

But the important thing to realize is how tiny they are compared to Toyota. Not even in the same league.

Hyundai is growing fast and is worth watching, though their cars are still sh*t after all these years, though they are less sh*tty than before.

Cuz they are smart, adaptive brilliant little buggers! Gotta love em really.

Must goto Jap land sometime :)

Indeed!

Kaizen is the secret.

Something GM and Ford could never understand with their recycled crap designs.

..and you rarely hear about Kaizen without hearing about Toyota's TPS!

That should tell you something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

ford aint well off at moment they owe shed loads hit the sam problem as michael jackson kept getting leant money due to ther ename and the "oh they will earn a fortune and pay it back" but know they are over there head

ford aint well off at moment they owe shed loads hit the sam problem as michael jackson...

My god... Ford is giving cheap chardonay to 11 year old boys and trying to touch their naughty bits?

What is the world coming to?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links