Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Mileage Carina Advice Sought

ihatetripe

Hi everyone. Must say, this is a very nice forum, even if I do not buy the car mentioned below I think Ill buy a Carina based on peoples comments here.

I have the chance to buy (my first car since passing my test in 1991!) a P reg Toyota Carina (Solair SE Ltd Edition).

I know it has deffo not been a cab, its currently owned by my friend, and before her. her Uncle, and has a full service history.

I was well up for buying it until I found out its mileage. 145,000 miles! I have since found out most of that would have been motorway as her Uncle had a large commute.

I am seeking advice as to whether I should go ahead and buy this, and what kind of price I should offer. Anything I should look out for on this particular car?

Many thanks in advance

Jim

If you know the history and it is genuine like you say.

dont worry about the mileage, have a good look at it , get it checked out and providing everything is ok and price is right, go for it.

(dont know what went wrong with my previous reply)

Check compatitve prices on www.autotrader.co.uk for a rough guide.

Check out the following areas (which are expensive) O2 sensor failure (MOt failure, about £300), leaking power steering rack (MOT failure, about £300), remote keyfob.

Mine has 132000 up on an N reg - otherwise now fine. Must say a nice big family car (mine was £800 - though with its leaky PAS rack only keeping until September).

I'd get another one though, no question. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Mines at 190K and it won't be driven to the breakers. They'll have to come and fetch it when it dies, but it's going great guns at the mo. I'll take it anywhere at a moments notice, no fear. Sweet as a nut. It's let me down once , when the fuel pump packed in (forgiven). Other than that, bullet proof. No eyecatcher but as reliable as they come. Beats the avensis vvti engines hands down. All car manufacturers change a winning combo and they did just that with the Carina. Else they lose out on the awesome reliability issue. They need cars to braek down to make a penny or 2. Try and get a Jap version of the E, as it's twice as good.

My Carina E had 150k on the clock when I sold it (£800 trade in for my new Avensis :D)

I had put 100k on the clock as the second owner.

I felt a little guilty leaving the poor thing behind at the dealer - I felt like I had left a friend. It never went wrong (baring a burst radiator - could have been caused by anything - and the aircon had gone - but that was me being tight and not re-filling it) :rolleyes:

Anyway - go for it.

I sold mine on, because the dealer fell over themselves to sell me two new (used - new to me) cars as a package deal.

get an R.A.C. or A.A. inspection as these car can give grief if ill maintained. as the carina 11 i have got is my first and i dare say it will be the last. dont get me wrong i do like toyota just not this one. but surfice to say get it checked propa.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links