Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Stop My Celica Kangaroo At Very Low Speeds

potuk

As topic says. On starting car no problems it only starts getting a bit rough when in 1st gear or 2nd gear going round islands or driving slowly in traffic car starts to kangaroo.....

Higher driving speeds seem no problem at all.

Have taken car to Toyota main dealer but could not find any thing on there diagnostic computer that stud out?

They seem to guess that’s it something to-do with the oxygen sensor?

Did notice on last mot car struggled to get through emission test.

Has any one got ideas on this problem,, :ffs:

I think i have the same problem with my 1998 gt, at low speed say sub 2000rpm it seem to jolt forward.

I have no idea why this happens, i put it down to it just being the way the car is, although i have a gt-four now and it doesnt do it in that.

Check spark plug gaps or try some new sparkies. I don't really know why this is happening, just a guess.

Sorry, Nick

could be some sort of transmission slack

• 1 month later...

mine does it but... only if u ease the pedal up or down or watever in first gear theres no such thing as slow... it just launchs off and u cant slow it down without it joltin dont bother me but yer i just think its normal a few other ppl say t happens too

yeah mine just started to dot hat like after i got an new clutch, and the clutch in they wasn't :censor: just the preloader was to high because i got a new master cylinder about 2month before, so i got a spare 50% cltuch which is good. but yeah i just give it more gas and workt he clutch more with my left foot (it get more of a work out now). And i when i starts to do it, i hate it because i'm in front of people (aka, school) so me just slam clutch in a start again and usally i'm right... with more gas.

Nezza B)

had the exact same problem ,its more than likely the oxygen/lambda sensor,they get worn and blocked,problem is u can clean them which might help for a while but could go again :angry: and do u notice it hard on petrol,oh the sensor is dear around 400 euros :( ,get toyota genuine one,before i done all this i checked plugs,leads,replaced rotor arm,dizzy cap and fuel filter myself,then checked air leaks,found none then u could check tps (throttle position sensor) set up ok,after all that it more than likely is ur oxy sensor,took me several months to sort it out,hope this helps :D

oh ye and before u ask there is no reason why it should show up on ur diagnostics (te1 and e1) as the sensor could be within its limits but fluctuating quit a bit ,and remember the ecu in celicas 94-99 isnt as advanced as new ones like the new vw which can also be problematic as their too sensitive ,ie cannot modify without getting all sort of ecu lights on the dash,epc light can come one on vw :)

Mine does this as well and I too thought it was just how the car was. If someone can tell me where this oxygen sensor is and I can try and clean it out, cheers...

Not sure about the oxygen sensor but the air flow meter (think thats what the oxygen sensor is) is in the air inlet pipe between you manifold and the air filter box or it will be plugged directly into the box.

the oxygen sensor is just fwd of the cat ,if u look under the engine u will just about see it ,it screws into the exhaust,directly below the engine bulkhead,its supposed to be cleaned with a special cleaner,be very careful,u have been warned :D

• 2 weeks later...

also the timin may be out jus a few cheap tips but dont rely on this being the problem i aint no mechanic

you got there before me...

I bought a 1990 Celica GT in the past which had the exact problem you were chattin about and it did my nut in!

Got the car checked out and it turned out the timing was way off what it should be!

All it cost me was £25 to get it sorted.... :)

Hopefully it will be as simple as that for your car...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links