Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hose From Hell

Rhian

Evening guys and girls,

I think i've got the dreaded Hose From Hell. No heat coming from the heaters was the first sign, along with the car not feeling right when driving.

After searching this site i found this description:

Note: Hose from Hell is also known as HFH.

Description of HFH:

The HFH is a simple 5 inch coolant hose on the MR2 Turbo that usually wears out and burts sometime after a car hits 100K miles. The symptoms of a bad HFH are low or no heat coming from the heater vents, water dripping under the engine near the exaust, and finally, a full burst will result in smoke clouds billowing out from under the engine compartment, and high temps. Sometimes people think they've blown a headgasket, but if you look under your car, and directly under the downpipe and exaust, there is water, it's very likely to be the HFH. It is a major pain in the ***** to fix without taking the exaust manifold off of the car, but it can be done in a few hours if you have patience, the right tools, and not overly large hands (borrow a kid from the neighboorhood to help!).

The HFH itself is made out of heavy duty rubber hose with a thin heat barrier Shell with 3 outer clamps. The center clamp helps keep the heat barrier on and stop expansion of the hose, and the two clamps on each end hold the HFH to a metal coolant hose, one coming off of the Oil Cooler (which the oil filter bolts onto), and the other to a pipe called the Water Bypass Pipe that leads under the Exaust Manifold. It has a sister hose known as the Hose from Hell on Earth or HFHOE. The HFHOE connect to the Oil Cooler on the passenger side, and should be unclamped in order to remove the oil cooler for access to the regular HFH.

Cost of HFH replacement at the dealership = PROBABLY HUNDREDS OF GPB's!!

Cost of fixing the HFH yourself = My guess well under $50 GBP's

DISCLAIMER

We do not recommend replacing the HFH and/or HFHOE unless you are determined, have small to medium hands, are able to work in awkward positions, have patience, are willing to buy any needed tools and parts that you don't already have, and finally, ENJOY WORKING ON YOUR CARS!

We have to put a disclaimer on this one, because you can scrape/cut your hands, break or strip out parts, and possibly go insane! Please attempt this only if you are of sound mind and body, and of your own free will. :)

I can go into the how if need be :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I have a mark 2 Mr2 but it isn't the turbo one, but could this still happen on a non-turbo mr2?

I don't drive the car much apart from the odd evening when going to my football training, plus i live right next door to my work.

I was hoping to try and fix it at the weekend but as i live in a flat means i'll have to drive out to my folks as use their driveway. Is there anything i can do to make sure the car will be alright before setting off? And also does anyone know what tools to use and what type of replacement pipe i should use or anything i will need for the job?

I thought the HOSES from HELL were the 2 copper coolant pipes that run on top of the fuel tank from front to back.

Probably HOSES from HELL 2!!!!!!!!!

Russ

theres no hoses that run over the exhaust on a mk 2, is it not for a mk1 or 3?

im fixing my hose from hell on monday so i'll let you know how it goes.

a temp fix is to bypass the 2 pipes and have water runnin straight to the radiator from the engine, just means no heaters.

i had the same problem with the copper pipes, got a friend to do it for me, £200. bearing in mind the petrol tank and everything has to come off, and he had new ones made up by a plumber.

im just gonna use reinforced heater hosin and glue it and clamp it up.

anyone know of a guide to removin petrol tank?

The previous owner had it done on my car........for £600 !!!!!! now thats what you call a kick in the :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links