Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Gearbox

Embaris

Does anyone have any idea how long a yaris gearbox is expected to last.Ours needs replacing after 40k Reg99.Can anyone shed any light on why there are 9 different gearboxes for the yaris.Many thanks.Mike

earpl Posted Today, 01:04 PM

gear boxes for different models... and no you should proberly get well over another 100k from your gbox, well over.

Totally agree :eek:

gear boxes for different models... and no you should proberly get well over another 100k from your gbox, well over.

thanks,thats what I would have thought.

I had to have our gearbox replaced after 19,000 miles due to a whining noise caused by a bearing, a problem that Toyota new about. Fistly they tried to fix it by some mod but returned the car to me with the same noise. I then returned the car back to the dealer who agreed to change it at the cost of £5,000 ( gearbox and labour ). Even the new gearbox is not the best I have ever used being notchy and sometimes not wanting to go into reverse. It seems to improve as it warms up, shame it spoils a nearly perfect car. The 1.3 Yaris I had as a courtesy car was entirely different.

5k! a new Yaris doesn't cost that much more.

I had trouble with my gearshift selection on my old 1 litre but they sorted it our under warranty. Gearbox itself was fine though.

Should a 1.0L, T reg, 49500 Miles gear box make a wining noise when selecting 1st at 10-20MPH even with the clutch left down.

It's even realy hard to select 1st at these speeds.

Is this normal?

Should a 1.0L, T reg, 49500 Miles gear box make a wining noise when selecting 1st at 10-20MPH even with the clutch left down.

It's even realy hard to select 1st at these speeds.

Is this normal?

Its called engine braking...

I dont recommend it

Thats the sycro isn't it. You can hear it when you change down at about 5 mph at a junction. Wouldn't really suffest going into first much higher than 10 mph not much point even in second at that speed you are ok.

My old 1.0L yaris (now second car and used in bad whether!) has done 60k and the gearbox was cr4p from the start. First and second gear dont always go in easily. Worst in the winter when its really cold and improves after a service.

Prop made worse by my dad (and me once or twice) grinding the gears a couple of times in its early life (due to poor timing and him being rusty when comes to manuals - drives an auto).

Its called engine braking...

I dont recommend it

I do! You should always use your engine to slow you down intermitently... but don't put it in 1st unless you're below 10mph... it won't like that and you'll most likely end up bunny hopping when trying to move away before stopping.

I had to have our gearbox replaced after 19,000 miles due to a whining noise caused by a bearing, a problem that Toyota new about. Fistly they tried to fix it by some mod but returned the car to me with the same noise. I then returned the car back to the dealer who agreed to change it at the cost of £5,000 ( gearbox and labour ). Even the new gearbox is not the best I have ever used being notchy and sometimes not wanting to go into reverse. It seems to improve as it warms up, shame it spoils a nearly perfect car. The 1.3 Yaris I had as a courtesy car was entirely different.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone! i'm new here :D

I the owner of yaris 1L 2000 semi-automatic gearbox, passed 90K, and I have a few problems concerning the gear:

1. Reverse not always go in, no matter how hard i try, sometimes i have to shift into 1st or 2nd, ect... befofre i can shift into reverse

2.sometimes it's really hard to shift into 2nd, and shifting into 1st can be impossible on 5MPH or more...

3.when starting to drive and accelerating on 1st, i can feel the car shaking really hard in the first secs...

can anyone tell what can be the problem?

thanks!!! :)

hello everyone! i'm new here  :D

I the owner of yaris 1L 2000 semi-automatic gearbox, passed 90K, and I have a few problems concerning the gear:

1. Reverse not always go in, no matter how hard i try, sometimes i have to shift into 1st or 2nd, ect... befofre i can shift into reverse

2.sometimes it's really hard to shift into 2nd, and shifting into 1st can be impossible on 5MPH or more...

3.when starting to drive and accelerating on 1st, i can feel the car shaking really hard in the first secs...

can anyone tell what can be the problem?

thanks!!!  :)

1) I'm no expert on this stuff, but on the manual gearbox on our Yaris Blue 1.3 if you want to change from any gear to reverse you have to go into neutral and clutch up, before depressing the clutch and selecting reverse. It's a common thing on all manual Yarii I've heard as a "safety device" or something. You say yours is semi-auto so wouldnt have a clutch, but maybe you need to let it go into neutral for a few seconds so the gearbox can sort itself out.

2) I never put the Blue into 1st at any speed above 5 mph, I only ever select it at between 1/3 mph..and thats rare too. It's possible that the Yaris has some kind of resistor for going into 1st unless it's under a certain speed as the engine has to take a lot of pressure? What speed do you usually go into 2nd at? The Blue likes to change from 1st to 2nd at around 11/13 mph. I used to think that was quite high but it's what she likes so I go along with it.

3) Not sure about that - is it a shake or a vibration?

Blue

Why not ask Toyota if they'll pay something towards the cost of replacement?

They have had the chance to do so.The work has cost £500 at main dealers which was the least unpalatable option available to me.The issue of the gearbox was raised during the warranty period and Toyota are aware that there is some milage left in the issue,if you forgive the pun.

• 3 months later...

Can anybody expand on their comments that Toyota know about some issue to do with gearbox life/longevity which becomes apparent by a loud whine from the differential area (i.e. it's not gear dependent, just speed dependent).

I have just hit 162500 Km (about 100K miles) in my Nov 99 1 litre model, and suddenly a week or so ago, it developed a loud whine, which the dealer thinks is a diff bearing (or something, I don't have the parts printout here).

To remove and replace with a secondhand box (he sourced a relatively new(16K miles) one for 450 quid) is cheaper (or same price, thinking of labout costs..) than breaking it down and playing with parts to see what the problem is... Cost to fit exchange box is about 200 quid.

I'm really not happy that it has this problem, it was always a noisy whiny box (compared with other cars) but one of the things about Toyotas is (normally!) that thy're not wonderful to start with but stay like that during a relatively long life, and 100K miles isn't "long"..., so I'd like to ask Toyota for some "goodwill"...

Also, whilst i'm moaning, the cloth on the drivers seat is fscked (man is that an expensive part!), and the carpet has various small holes appearing underneath the footmats front & rear(really cheap nasty carpet huh!). Anybody else had these problems??

Thanks, Kevin

A ’99 Yaris? As it was a new model maybe there were teething problems, not heard of many gear box issues in later editions or even the phase 2.

I know the suspension design was changed at least twice from the early models up till now (not counting the TS)

That’s the problem with new edition cars, I’m sure the ‘new’ Yaris will have the same mechanicals as the out going one so the problems will have been sorted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links