Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Had A Corolla T-sport For A Test Drive Yesterday

K19NE G

Well first of all I'll describe the car I had out: it wasn't the one I wanted as it was a pre-facelift model and I'm more interested in getting a facelift model in alsace granite. It was a '04 plate 3 door in thunder grey and being the parts manager's car it had lots of extras - lightly tinted windows, TTE lowering springs, TTE back box, full leather interior, 6 CD in-dash changer and sat nav!!!

The first thing wrong I noticed was the centre facia where the headunit is installed had a big gap between it and the dash as I think people on this site have documented before. Secondly, the high bite point on the clutch was a b*tch! I stalled the car a few times, but got used to it!

Overall the car handled ok, there was a nice rasp off the back box and it felt gutsy enough, but in a different way to my Glanza :D

I'm still interested but I'd have to try out the competition first, although cheap insurance, individuality (well compared to Civic TypeRs!) coupled with good performance draws me towards the T-Sport. It'd have to be well specced though as this one was to keep me satisfied.

The sales rep knew very little about the car, but I think he wasn't too interested in me once I said I'm after a 6 month old model rather than a new one. Most questions I asked about issues I learned about on this site were unanswered :angry:

Anyway, just thought I'd share my T-Sport experience with you all :group-cuddles:

Well first of all I'll describe the car I had out.........SNIP

I am a very happy T-sport owner - it is one of the most enjoyable cars I have owned (mine is the facelift model which IMHO does look slightly better, but funny enough I was looking at a pre facelift model yesterday and they are still a damn fine looking car).

Mine is the Alsace Granite which again IMHO is one of the better colours. Mine has no mods (it goes just great without - though I may be tempted to do some mods to improve the handling) - don't forget the supercharged version is due out by the end of the year so this may affect used prices and bring them even further down in price, though they are very competitively priced as they are.

As for the clutch, yes I was worried about this when reading posts in this forum but my personal experience is that I have had no problems - not sure about the high bite though I don't think mine bites that high, and yes when I first bought it I did stall it a couple of times but bear in mind my last car was a td5 Land Rover Discovery!!!

And the fit of the radio head unit in mine seems OK too, or at least I've never noticed a gap - what should I be looking for???

Any way I am sure if you buy one you will not be dissapointed, I know I am not........

Well first of all I'll describe the car I had out: it wasn't the one I wanted as it was a pre-facelift model and I'm more interested in getting a facelift model in alsace granite. It was a '04 plate 3 door in thunder grey

Sounds very similar to mine.

and being the parts manager's car it had lots of extras - lightly tinted windows, TTE lowering springs, TTE back box, full leather interior, 6 CD in-dash changer and sat nav!!!

I've got full leather and a CD changer (but not in-dash)

The first thing wrong I noticed was the centre facia where the headunit is installed had a big gap between it and the dash as I think people on this site have documented before.

Must not be a Toyota head unit then! I guess you miss out on the trip computer stuff as well? I guess you could always just buy a blanking plate for the gap.

Secondly, the high bite point on the clutch was a b*tch! I stalled the car a few times, but got used to it!

My CTS does exactly the same thing - you do get used to it.

Did you notice the clutch smell too?

Well first of all I'll describe the car I had out: it wasn't the one I wanted as it was a pre-facelift model and I'm more interested in getting a facelift model in alsace granite. It was a '04 plate 3 door in thunder grey

Sounds very similar to mine.

and being the parts manager's car it had lots of extras - lightly tinted windows, TTE lowering springs, TTE back box, full leather interior, 6 CD in-dash changer and sat nav!!!

I've got full leather and a CD changer (but not in-dash)

The first thing wrong I noticed was the centre facia where the headunit is installed had a big gap between it and the dash as I think people on this site have documented before.

Must not be a Toyota head unit then! I guess you miss out on the trip computer stuff as well? I guess you could always just buy a blanking plate for the gap.

Secondly, the high bite point on the clutch was a b*tch! I stalled the car a few times, but got used to it!

My CTS does exactly the same thing - you do get used to it.

Did you notice the clutch smell too?

The headunit was the standard Toyota one and it had popped out of the dash and I tried to press it in but no go!!! Very shabby looking ;)

The headunit was the standard Toyota one and it had popped out of the dash and I tried to press it in but no go!!! Very shabby looking  ;)

Right............. so if we are looking for head units that have popped out then I am OK here too, mine certainly has not done that!!!!!

Surely this is down to a poor repare or replacement by a dealer. My last car (A 2002 td5 Discovery) had a very poorly fitting radio. I worked out how it was supposed to fit, loosened the two allen keys that held it in position, and got it looking as it should have done when it left the factory.... something that the last person who had removed it should have done.

Different fixings for a cts (Not an Allen key in sight), but I guess it just needs a bit of careful persuaion with a bit more time than would normally be available on a test drive to get it to look right......

bottom line is it is at the end of the day down to you, if you are concerned about cts build quality then don't buy one. I am very happy with mine, and should the worst happen and it needs any attention :( it is still under a very comprehensive warranty....... :thumbsup:

I would back up everything MJG has said and just add I was looking at the Civic Type R.

I had always wanted a Type R i've been a motorcycle rider for 15yrs and swear by honda's quality and reliability, but I was a little dissapointed with what you got with the Type R in terms of spec (the radio has to be the worst ever fitted to a car), and I could only just afford £16k and I wanted a new car, Air con was a must so I ended up buying the T Sport, the Civic is definatly more Hardcore (I know T Sport owners won't like this but its true IMO) and it has nicer wheels, better handling, but I've been more than impressed with my T Sport which is also a facelift model, if i'm honest I think for me it was the better buy than the Civic because most of the time i'm running back and for to work, ferrying the kids about Etc with the occasional crazy moment (mmm LIFT) and the T Sport is perfect for this.

I've had no rattles, no gaps, no problems 7500 miles trouble free motoring... :group-cuddles:

I have owned both and they are bith great cars, I like the more hardcore touch that the Civic offers but you wont be disapointed with either!

Thanks for your comments lads - don't get me wrong, I wasn't slating the car - I just wanted to know if these issues were common. I saw a facelift T Sport in Alsace Granite today and I LOVE IT! So rare too so that's a bonus :)

Thanks for your comments lads - don't get me wrong, I wasn't slating the car - I just wanted to know if these issues were common. I saw a facelift T Sport in Alsace Granite today and I LOVE IT! So rare too so that's a bonus :)

Feel free to slate the car you are entitled to your opinion .

Really don't know if these issues are common, just know they don't affect mine.....

All I know is that I was swayed towrads a Japanese (yes I know mine is made in Derby....) hot hatch because of the japanese reputation for quality and reliability.

Also I do know that I and Jan (my wife) who has just bought an mx-5 made by another well known Japanese manufacturer (that'l be Mazda) are very very happy with our choice(s).....

Now that said we once bought a Sony TV which was the biggest pile of pooh I ever owned so at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice...if you like the car then buy one.....you have every chance of getting a gud un. I (we) did......

However if you have significant doubt then don't but..........get yourself a Skoda VRS they are getting a mighty fine repuatation for quality and reliability now too...

I've got a pre-face lifted model, and my stereo was doing the same, and initially the dealer didn't want to do anything!!!!!!! :cacker: :ffs: :censor:

But having moved house, and found another dealer, they proceded to order in a new dash top (there must have been a dodgy batch or something!?!?!?!) and its been perfect ever since!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup:

Im tempted to go for one in the summer, was in looking at one yesterday :)

Maybe wait and see what happens to the prices of the CTS when the CTSc is released.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links