Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Verso Mmt Problems

janiej

Hi my name is Jean-Erik from Finland, and I own a Corolla Verso MMT. I have read about problems with the MMT both in Germany and UK and I must say that Toyota should do somethng about this MMT. I could make a list of

all my problems and they are in many cases the same. MMT should be replaced by some other type of gearbox. It destroys a good car. It is simply frustrating to drive a car that you do not know what the car will do the next moment.

Jean-Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Ray99:

Help! My MMt has broke down again-3rd time this year with the N problem. Pls tell me ahat the dealer should be changing on the defect gear box. Many thanks!

RT]

Hi R T

please read my post of 3rd September and see if you can adjust your driving style, this may help you. Without the car to drive myself, I couldn't possibly diagnose the problems. Reading your previous posts, it seems that you've had most of the major components changed already. Any dealer, including mine would be reluctant to change them for a second time. However, your dealer is obliged to fix your car to your satisfaction, so keep on to them until you are satisfied. If you're not happy with your dealer's performance- go the route of customer relations. Things start happening then. Hope this helps and please let me know if you get a result. Regards Ray

Ray 99

thanks for your reply. I have taken my car to another dealer in nw London and they have ordered parts "full page of A4 paper". They also asked who carried out the pervious repairs and I told them it was another big dealer in nw London. i showed them the paper work and they said they did nt changed everything that was necessary. I have written a letter to Toyota GB but they have n't spoke to me yet but have offered me a hired Vauxhall Zafria auto-which I must say is better then the Verso....Now I am waiting for repair. Will let you and every one know what has been done but my wife and I have lost confidence now. It is the third time it has broken down. With regards to driving style, the gear got stuck when it was in E1 and when it began to move off in slow speed it went...so I don't think I had a chance to let my driving skill perform ha ha!

Merry xmas

RT

[Dear MMt drivers:

Got a letter from Mr Stephen Hinshelwood Senior customer Support. In a polite letter, he suggest the MMt problem is a rare problem. May I therefore suggest you all write to him at Toyota GB and inform him of your troubles. I am not trying to cause trouble but dont want any of us and our loved ones to experience a dangerous position with this car. There is obviously a problem with this gear box design so they should acknowledge it and fix it. In the mean time, they should n't sell this mmt model. We as consumers have spent at least over £ 15,000 on this car and we have lost a lot of money if we part exchange it. So it is only fair that we should expect the car to be reliable. I have also wrote to Toyota Europe in Belguim and Mr Katsuaki Watauabe, Prisedent of Toyota in Japan, (Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571 Japan) of our problems. Do they sell this gear bopx in Japan and do they have any problems with it? Mean while, my dealer, Twin spark Toyota in Hampstead has been great in try ing to sort this problem. My thanks to them. Will let every know what they did to it and any out come from Toyota.

Merry Xmas

[Dear MMt drivers:

Got a letter from Mr Stephen Hinshelwood Senior customer Support. In a polite letter, he suggest the MMt problem is a rare problem. May I therefore suggest you all write to him at Toyota GB and inform him of your troubles. I am not trying to cause trouble but dont want any of us and our loved ones to experience a dangerous position with this car. There is obviously a problem with this gear box design so they should acknowledge it and fix it. In the mean time, they should n't sell this mmt model. We as consumers have spent at least over £ 15,000 on this car and we have lost a lot of money if we part exchange it. So it is only fair that we should expect the car to be reliable. I have also wrote to Toyota Europe in Belguim and Mr Katsuaki Watauabe, Prisedent of Toyota in Japan, (Toyota-Cho, Toyota City, Aichi Prefecture 471-8571 Japan) of our problems. Do they sell this gear bopx in Japan and do they have any problems with it? Mean while, my dealer, Twin spark Toyota in Hampstead has been great in try ing to sort this problem. My thanks to them. Will let every know what they did to it and any out come from Toyota.

Merry Xmas

[Hi all you MMT drivers,

I live in Essex UK where the land is pretty flat. My wife can only drive automatic and this time I definitely wanted to drive a Japanese car. Personally I think we would have gone for the Mazda 5 if they could be bothered to bring the car out in the UK with an auto gearbox. Anyway we purchased the T3 MMT from the dealer; the car had originally been purchased in September 2006 by the first owner, but was returned after 2 months (I wonder why, you may ask)

First impressions are that the car looks cool and the kids love it. The main concern so far is the engine noise - doing 55 MPH down the A13, the engine is uncomfortasbly loud, so I wonder what it will be like at 70 or 80 mph on the M1 or M11.

On the flat roads in Essex I also note that the shift from 1,2-3 is fairly slow (probably normal) but then it seems to go straight to 4 without staying in 3 for very long. Before long, I'm doing about 30-35 mph in 5th gear, which I find odd - I can only think the gearbox knows what its' doing, but it does feel strange (but not uncomfortable)

I've read many comments on the dreaded MMT gearbox, however for me so far, I've not had such problems. There are 2 points I want to make: firstly, I agree you have to alter your driving style. You have to pretend you have a clutch and bring up your gas pedal when you perceive the gearchange will take place (particularly between 1st and 3rd gear in auto mode). Secondly, and this is my big concern, the MMT gearbox seems to get totally confused when you slow down (either coming into a roundabout or going over speed humps) and want to suddenly accelerate - you just hit the gas and it sounds like you're in neutral (just getting a loud revving noise with no acceleration and lots of jerkyness). No matter what I try, I get the same result, which does not put the car (or should I say gearbox) in good light.

I think the sales staff at the dealers should be very specific with you as to how you should drive this car, but I get the impression that they are not, on what is a very important point.

So far, I do not class the car as, in principle, dangerous to drive, however I do keep an open mind and will be very wary of this over the next few months.

I'm glad to be a Toyota owner however it does concern me with reading so many negative reviews relating to a great car with a 'pretty hopeless' gearbox

For me I will keep a close eye on the future comments on this forum - I'd like to thank everyone for their openness and hope that we can all get trouble free driving from this car in future.

quote name=R Tang' date='Dec 22 2006, 01:04 PM' post='600685]

[Dear MMt drivers:

Merry Xmas

Hi TR

Can I suggest that you go back to the begginning of this thread and read my posts about driving style, you seem to have virtually mastered the method by yourself. The only thing that I would add is that after slowing down, say for a junction or speed humps, when you come to apply the throttle, just squeeze it on gently. As the gearbox monitors the throttle position, if it detects a quick application it will try to change down, resulting in the engine flaring (revs going up, no drive) and jerky drive.

With regard to the engine noise, make sure you are in 5th gear (read the display) and check the rev counter. At 70-80MPH the engine should be 3-4,000 revs. If all these things are about right you may have some uneven tyre wear on the rear tryes. To test for this uneven wear, run your hand over the tyre, in both directions. It should feel the same both ways. If your hand runs easily one way but gets caught in the treads the other, you may have a scallopped tyre. When looking at the tyre, especially on the inside edge, each alternate tread block will be worn. The noise is caused by the unworn tread block hitting the road as the wheel rotates. The noise sounds like a worn wheel bearing and comes into the car as low pitched roar, increasing with road speed. This uneven tyre wear is quite common to tyres of this width. It's not just confined to Corollas. The only cure is to change the tyre. Hope this helps. Regards Ray

Hi TR

Can I suggest that you go back to the begginning of this thread and read my posts about driving style, you seem to have virtually mastered the method by yourself. The only thing that I would add is that after slowing down, say for a junction or speed humps, when you come to apply the throttle, just squeeze it on gently. As the gearbox monitors the throttle position, if it detects a quick application it will try to change down, resulting in the engine flaring (revs going up, no drive) and jerky drive.

With regard to the engine noise, make sure you are in 5th gear (read the display) and check the rev counter. At 70-80MPH the engine should be 3-4,000 revs. If all these things are about right you may have some uneven tyre wear on the rear tryes. To test for this uneven wear, run your hand over the tyre, in both directions. It should feel the same both ways. If your hand runs easily one way but gets caught in the treads the other, you may have a scallopped tyre. When looking at the tyre, especially on the inside edge, each alternate tread block will be worn. The noise is caused by the unworn tread block hitting the road as the wheel rotates. The noise sounds like a worn wheel bearing and comes into the car as low pitched roar, increasing with road speed. This uneven tyre wear is quite common to tyres of this width. It's not just confined to Corollas. The only cure is to change the tyre. Hope this helps. Regards Ray

Thank you Ray - I will test this out tomorrow. From other reviews I have have read, I do get the impression however that the loud engine noise at high speed is a common trait of the Verso. Re the tyres, now you mention it, I also have noticed the car constantly wanting to veer to the left (now and again the steering goes very light in the car - for a split second only), but I'm not sure whether this would be caused by front or rear tyre abuse - the car has only done 1300 miles so I'm quite suprised to hear I may have worn tyres already. Thank you again and Merry xmas already.

Hi TR

Helo Ray. I am an MMT Verso-owner from Finland ( Jean-Erik) and I have the same problems as you in UK.

I think that it is not the driver that shoul constantly consentrate on his pedal how hard or soft he must press it to get the car to ride smoothly One should be able to press the pedal normally.. It is the Toyota that should do it. The addverticment of the Geneva car show 2004 Toyota promises smooth and seamless changes. Reality is far from this.

I also think that if you constantly have to think about your cars behaviour you cannot concentrate fully on the trafic and that is dangerous. My car jumps and changes between 2 and 3rd vithout any reason.

Sometimes it goes from 5th to 3rd while going downhills at a good speed. I have also written about this to Toyota in Japan and in Brussels. The anwer is allvays, Please contact your local dealer. Nothing happends and the car is still jumping and I am getting very frustrated.

I think that letters to toyota is the best thing to do so that something will be done.

Toyota must take the responsibility.

In an addwertisment about the new Corolla 2007( first precentation i Europe was at the Helsinki car show Now. 2006 ) they mention that the MMT gearbox is softer. Softer than what.....MMT Verso.

Jean-Erik

Hi TR

Helo Ray. I am an MMT Verso-owner from Finland ( Jean-Erik) and I have the same problems as you in UK.

I think that it is not the driver that shoul constantly consentrate on his pedal how hard or soft he must press it to get the car to ride smoothly One should be able to press the pedal normally.. It is the Toyota that should do it. The addverticment of the Geneva car show 2004 Toyota promises smooth and seamless changes. Reality is far from this.

I also think that if you constantly have to think about your cars behaviour you cannot concentrate fully on the trafic and that is dangerous. My car jumps and changes between 2 and 3rd vithout any reason.

Sometimes it goes from 5th to 3rd while going downhills at a good speed. I have also written about this to Toyota in Japan and in Brussels. The anwer is allvays, Please contact your local dealer. Nothing happends and the car is still jumping and I am getting very frustrated.

I think that letters to toyota is the best thing to do so that something will be done.

Toyota must take the responsibility.

In an addwertisment about the new Corolla 2007( first precentation i Europe was at the Helsinki car show Now. 2006 ) they mention that the MMT gearbox is softer. Softer than what.....MMT Verso.

Jean-Erik

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm a Producer with the BBC so may be in a position to kick some 'a***s' at Toyota.

I've had my Corolla Verso MMT since May 2004 when it was first launched. I have been pleased with the car until last summer I suddenly got the "N" problem as you all describe. Audiable noise, flashing red light on the dash board and no power. I was going down a main road at the time and managed to coast into the side of the road. Oh the joys of mobiles. What did we do before we had them? Called the RAC and when he arrived the problem seemed to have righted itself. The RAC guy followed me home and it was ok then and until last week. I left home on my way to work and within a hundred yards of the house the same thing happened. It dropped from 5th gear into neutral. Ok I thought, I know how to fix this. Just leave it for a few minutes but the same thing kept happening every few yards. Eventually I abandoned the car and took a taxi and train to work. The RAC towed it to my local dealership the next day. Apparently there were various codes come up on their diagnostic system which they had to take advice about. They didn't know what the problem was supposedly. Meanwhile a bit of research from me and a call to customer relations at Toyota got things moving. It did help that I am a journalist and producer for the BBC. I was given a car to keep me on the road and 5 days later the car was returned. The clutch had been changed and the ECU. Picked it up last night. Got home and then on the way to work this morning the problem happened again but with a slightly different twist. This time everytime I got to a junction there was a clunk as the gears moved down to 1st and then when I tried to move away it stayed in 1st but just reved and reved. Turning the engine off and re-starting it got it going again. Rather embarassing sitting at a busy junction with 20 cars behind you and having to wait several minutes to get going again. I abandoned the car and got the train. BUT all guns blazing this time I got into work and set into action. Not the fault of the dealership because they have been brilliant and done what Toyota suggested.

Using my contacts in the BBC I got in touch with the producer of Top Gear and Watch Dog and they are very interested in getting on the case. If anyone would like to e-mail me with a brief resume of their problems I will pass them on and let's see if we can get Toyota to acknowledge that there is a design fault on this MMT transmission. Can you put the subject as Verso MMT so I can distinguish them from the normal work stuff. I've already lost my car for a day to have the air bag problem rectified. I've owned 3 Toyotas and got rid of my last one to buy a new model as I imagined that I would have a number of years of reliable motering.

H

Hi. I'm a Producer with the BBC so may be in a position to kick some 'a***s' at Toyota.

I've had my Corolla Verso MMT since May 2004 when it was first launched. I have been pleased with the car until last summer I suddenly got the "N" problem as you all describe. Audiable noise, flashing red light on the dash board and no power. I was going down a main road at the time and managed to coast into the side of the road. Oh the joys of mobiles. What did we do before we had them? Called the RAC and when he arrived the problem seemed to have righted itself. The RAC guy followed me home and it was ok then and until last week. I left home on my way to work and within a hundred yards of the house the same thing happened. It dropped from 5th gear into neutral. Ok I thought, I know how to fix this. Just leave it for a few minutes but the same thing kept happening every few yards. Eventually I abandoned the car and took a taxi and train to work. The RAC towed it to my local dealership the next day. Apparently there were various codes come up on their diagnostic system which they had to take advice about. They didn't know what the problem was supposedly. Meanwhile a bit of research from me and a call to customer relations at Toyota got things moving. It did help that I am a journalist and producer for the BBC. I was given a car to keep me on the road and 5 days later the car was returned. The clutch had been changed and the ECU. Picked it up last night. Got home and then on the way to work this morning the problem happened again but with a slightly different twist. This time everytime I got to a junction there was a clunk as the gears moved down to 1st and then when I tried to move away it stayed in 1st but just reved and reved. Turning the engine off and re-starting it got it going again. Rather embarassing sitting at a busy junction with 20 cars behind you and having to wait several minutes to get going again. I abandoned the car and got the train. BUT all guns blazing this time I got into work and set into action. Not the fault of the dealership because they have been brilliant and done what Toyota suggested.

Using my contacts in the BBC I got in touch with the producer of Top Gear and Watch Dog and they are very interested in getting on the case. If anyone would like to e-mail me with a brief resume of their problems I will pass them on and let's see if we can get Toyota to acknowledge that there is a design fault on this MMT transmission. Can you put the subject as Verso MMT so I can distinguish them from the normal work stuff. I've already lost my car for a day to have the air bag problem rectified. I've owned 3 Toyotas and got rid of my last one to buy a new model as I imagined that I would have a number of years of reliable motering.

H

Sorry I seem to have made a mistake in responding to this - apologies to all - this is my second try. I had the "N" problem a few weeks after the car's first service in May of last year. It was taken to a Toyota dealer who said as far as they were concerned it was repaired. It recurred once a few months later - the car dropped from 3rd gear into N and could not be re-started for a good twenty minutes. I viewed it as an aberration - this couldn't be my "new' Toyota letting me down, again! It worked for a further 8 months and finally dumped me on Tower Bridge at 7.30 pm two days before Christmas. The car dropped from 4th to neutral and lost all driving power. If I had been on the motorway as I should have been (but for a late stay at work) it's almost certain with the fog and the number on the roads, the car would have been wrecked and me with it. I had to coast to a point on Tower Bridge where I wasn't blocking trafffic. When it came to going to the garage - of course - the car worked again. I have written to Toyota UK - and am waiting to see what they will do. It is clear to me from reading this forum that the MMT gearbox has a major problem. I don't trust this car. I am a light driver - its done less than 12,000 miles in the time I've had it. If Hilary is still interested in this - let me know. I can understand if you've had enough by now!

• 4 weeks later...

Same MMT problem here, repeatedly, together with steering shake at 70, which was not a balancing problem. Car now sold back to dealer, at a loss, but my safety and that of my family is more important. Toyota wil not admit an MMT fault even though they have issued the guidance mentioned earlier in this thread.

The car is not safe and should be recalled.

Toyota clearly have a big problem here but don't know how to/don't intend to deal with it because they have sold so many units and are contiuing to invest in MMT. Customer services got quite agressive (verging on hysterical) with me at the suggestion that this car wasn't safe, arguing that they couldn't deal with "hypotheticals", and that crossing the road wasn't safe! Agreed, but it is safer crossing Chiswick High Street at a crossing with the green man in your favour than it is running blindfold across six lanes of the M1 at rush hour! Both carry risk but one is a tad more likely to get you killed I'd say. A car that has a history of stopping suddenly for no reason is a bit more like the latter than the former.

I am really not satisfied with the way in which Toyota dealt with this and they've put the onus largely on me to try and sort it out - if I had not contacted Toyta directly the dealer would just have handed me this faulty car back. What really annoys me is not the cost or the inconvenience to me - it's the fact that they don't take the problem seriously. The man at customer services told me essentially to be overjoyed at the fact that he'd "been good enough to admit to me that there was a bulletin identifying this problem" the implication being, I can only conclude, that they chose to tell me but could equally have kept quiet about this!

I see most of you are just handing your cars back and taking the loss - which is perfectly understandable - mine is a lease car so I need to see if I can do the same. I bought a Toyota because of alleged reliablity, excellent customer service and an A1 dealership network. I know all car makers are basically sharks (I am under no illusions that Ford or Merc or Honda would be different) but I thought Toyota were better than the others... I may buy another Toyota, I may not - at one time it seemed a foregone conclusion - basically if new cars don't work, you are pretty stuffed no matter how potentially dangerous the problem might be.

As the man at Toyota customer services helpfully said " I think I should tell you now that we are under no obligation whatsoever (legal or moral) to keep you mobile!" Couldn't have put it better myself!

Dear all MMt borthers and sisters:

If you remember. my car broke down just b4 xmas 4th time in 11 months. and I took the Verso to another dealer to have the problem "fixed". They concluded that the pervious dealer didn't do what Toyota GB (TGB) said in their bullentin and so the problem returned. I have learnt the following:

1.Ask dealer to get the TGB bulliten and work to it.

2. Ask to see the parts that were changed.

3. Get a copy of the warranty invoice.

4. Write to TGB.

5. Write to President of Toyota in Japan-At least they know whats going on.

6. Tell TGB what you want for service recovery-e.g., free servicing, extended warranty etc.

7. Phone Consumerdirect, Dept Trade and Industry for legal advise.

8. Write to the media and state your concerns on safety and as the problem is unpredictable, it should warrant a recall.

9. The more we write the better. For our European friends, write to your country's head office, Toyota in Belguim and Japan.

10. I wonder if the Ec or EU have any safety rules? I am going to write to my MEP for details.

I don't why TGB is so silly-I am sure it is costing them more on warranty repairs then it is to recall the MMt Verso-there can't be many of them compared to manuals! They did a good customer service excise with the passenger airbag switch so why are they p...ing about with the MMt. Has any one had any problems since their ECU, clutch actuator and folk has been changed? Some of you have been quiet since your repair was done, Does it mean every thing is OK now! Please reassure me.

Good luck and I hope no one had any accidents yet!

R

[P.s., They are under the obligation to keep you mobile under the Sales of Goods Act 1974! You buy a car so it takes you to a-b. You buy a washing machine to wash your cloths....Don't waste time talking to them If they wrote this on a letter, you can sue them. Speak to Consumer direct!

Hi

I have only just joined the forum, being a new proud owner (or so I thought) of a Corolla Verso T3 MMT. I have always had Toyota Carinas/Avensis auto gearboxes, with no problems - but this is sending me mad.

There are times, such as approaching a roundabout, turning into a junction or coming down a hill when I have slowed down and then want to accelerate away again. When I put my foot on the accelerator, the car acts as though it has gone into neutral or that the clutch is slipping. I have tried watching the display to see what gear it is in when it does this, but can't see a pattern.

I have tried driving in ES mode but it made it worse.

Also, when in automatic mode, I sometimes get a bleeping noise at low speed but the manual says this happens in manual mode!

Has anyone else had these problems and found a way round them or do you think I should take the car back? I have done 2500 miles.

Hi, just reading about the MMT gearbox, all i can say is that when i was choosing the verso i wanted i was warned not to have the MMT by the General Manager of my dealership! :(

Imagine my suprise when yesterday i tryed an Auris MMT and it was great, well recommended. :D .

The general consensus seems to be the Yaris, Aygo and Auris MMT is fine, but the verso was one of the first out.

Its quite shocking that there are so many probs on something that in thoery is a good idea and works well in other appllications. I bought a T180.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Hilary here from ther BBC - Believe it or not I was black listed from this site because of my connections with the BBC. I had my M problem supposedly fixed back in November. It went ok but not the best drive of my life and voila - this Saturday was driving down the road - did a right hand turn and the dreaded N problem again. The car was towed in and I just decided that enough was enough. Normally I keep a car for 5 years or so and I don't see why I should have to lose money to change it. Called Customer Services and like most of you I had no joy this time. \i think they have my card marked. I took the train to work today and no idea when the car will be back. What does anyone think about the Auris with the same transmission. I tried one on Saturday - to get me back from the garage and the ggear change felt so much better.

Hi Hilary

I drove an Auris MMT on a recent one day familiarisation course for Toyota technicians. It's so different, it is a world away from the verso. The gear changes are much smoother and you don't get the jerkiness that comes with the Verso. I had other technicians in the car with me so I couldn't abuse it at all by way of testing, but it drove fine for me. The other tech's were impressed too. It's still not as smooth as a proper automatic gearbox, but it's a good second. Since the last MMT Verso was bought back by Toyota 6 months ago, I haven't had one to try and fix, so I'm not sure what's the state of play with modified parts. The chap who'd had it swapped it for a proper auto. Hope this helps and keep us up to speed on your own car. Regards Ray

Hi Ray,

I would agree with you. Picked up my car tonight but prior to that they came with the Auris to work to transport me to the garage. It does feel so different but having said that my verso feels so much better although they have done exactly the same thing as before. I had no idea how clunky it was - guess youjust get used to it. Toyota was built on reliability and that's failed. How do you go into trusting another MMT?

Hilary

Hi Hilary

I drove an Auris MMT on a recent one day familiarisation course for Toyota technicians. It's so different, it is a world away from the verso. The gear changes are much smoother and you don't get the jerkiness that comes with the Verso. I had other technicians in the car with me so I couldn't abuse it at all by way of testing, but it drove fine for me. The other tech's were impressed too. It's still not as smooth as a proper automatic gearbox, but it's a good second. Since the last MMT Verso was bought back by Toyota 6 months ago, I haven't had one to try and fix, so I'm not sure what's the state of play with modified parts. The chap who'd had it swapped it for a proper auto. Hope this helps and keep us up to speed on your own car. Regards Ray

Hi Ray,

I would agree with you. Picked up my car tonight but prior to that they came with the Auris to work to transport me to the garage. It does feel so different but having said that my verso feels so much better although they have done exactly the same thing as before. I had no idea how clunky it was - guess youjust get used to it. Toyota was built on reliability and that's failed. How do you go into trusting another MMT?

Hilary

Hi Hilary here from ther BBC - Believe it or not I was black listed from this site because of my connections with the BBC. I had my M problem supposedly fixed back in November. It went ok but not the best drive of my life and voila - this Saturday was driving down the road - did a right hand turn and the dreaded N problem again. The car was towed in and I just decided that enough was enough. Normally I keep a car for 5 years or so and I don't see why I should have to lose money to change it. Called Customer Services and like most of you I had no joy this time. \i think they have my card marked. I took the train to work today and no idea when the car will be back. What does anyone think about the Auris with the same transmission. I tried one on Saturday - to get me back from the garage and the ggear change felt so much better.

LOL..............I think that you are being a little paranoid Hilary, TOC does not blacklist anyone...........................even the BBC :lol: Heres hoping that your problems are now solved :thumbsup:

Hi

I desperately need your help. I am refusing to drive my Verso T Spirit (mmt gearbox) after losing gears in fast lane of motorway twice. I have broken down 7 times in first 10 months and now I’m suing Toyota for my money back. Do you have any info that may help me further my case? Any thing you send will be treated in strictest confidence unless you say otherwise.

Tony

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

quote name='janiej' date='Mar 15 2005, 09:54 PM' post='315982']

Hi

I have only just joined the forum, being a new proud owner (or so I thought) of a Corolla Verso T3 MMT. I have always had Toyota Carinas/Avensis auto gearboxes, with no problems - but this is sending me mad.

There are times, such as approaching a roundabout, turning into a junction or coming down a hill when I have slowed down and then want to accelerate away again. When I put my foot on the accelerator, the car acts as though it has gone into neutral or that the clutch is slipping. I have tried watching the display to see what gear it is in when it does this, but can't see a pattern.

Also, when in automatic mode, I sometimes get a bleeping noise at low speed but the manual says this happens in manual mode!

Has anyone else had these problems and found a way round them or do you think I should take the car back? I have done 2500 miles.

Dear all

I had a verso MMT T Spirit up until November last year. After much frustration with the gearbox, I handed the keys back toi the garage and bought a new car. I actually bought a new TR verso with the MMT gearbox. I decided to give the MMT verso one last go. MY local garage diud give me avery good deal and although I did loss a little money I did get a brand new car.

I decided to go for a new MMT geearbox as I did test drive a different verso MMT for a long period while my old was undergoing one of its many "fixes". The new one has 2200 miles on the clock and has behaved impecably. The old one definitely did not drive well at all.

Regards

Graham

Hi

I desperately need your help. I am refusing to drive my Verso T Spirit (mmt gearbox) after losing gears in fast lane of motorway twice. I have broken down 7 times in first 10 months and now I’m suing Toyota for my money back. Do you have any info that may help me further my case? Any thing you send will be treated in strictest confidence unless you say otherwise.

Tony

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

quote name='janiej' date='Mar 15 2005, 09:54 PM' post='315982']

Hi

Forget about the Auris MMt. After my Corolla Verso problem and dealings with the company, I would n't go near there. Auris looks nice inside but out side looks worse than the old Corolla. Try new Honda Civic-only problems it has nt got a rear wiper. When my Verso mmt went into its many repair, I drove a Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design auto. At first I thought oh no but to my delights it is so refine and nice to drive. Try it.

Rt

i have the dreaded N problem as well but my car is a 3 1/2 year old yaris.

(see my post in the yaris forum)

i tried phoning customer relations but they want me to take it in to a service centre before they will talk to me.

problem is none of the service centres i phoned will admit they have ever heard of mmt problems.

i mentioned the posts on the forum and they said it was only the corolla verso...

as i'm not covered by warranty anymore i really don't know what to do next (write a blank check to a service centre? sell it quick? keep using it and hope the problem never recurs? call watchdog?)

any suggestions would be welcome.

Hi Scott

your first port of call should be Mr T to get your fault codes read. Then let them diagnose the problem and put together a price for you. You are not obliged to have the work done. Ask them to present your case to warranty for prior approval. As your car is only just out of warranty, they should come back with an offer. If you feel that you don't want to pay or won't pay, you need to contact cutomer services. Write to CS's and detail your complaint. Ask them what they are prepared to do to help you out. You will need to be persistant as they will try to fob you off with loads of bullsh*t. Let us know how you get on. Cheers Ray