Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E (95) Idle & Misfire - Intermitant

fitzsy

Help please !...After correcting the spark plugs (needed platinum ones) and paying a man with a laptop who reset the idle speed, changed the HT leads, distributor and rotor arm. I'm still having intermitant misfire and idling problems. The idle speed often dips to nearly stopping and when driving along I experience a sudden loss of power which usually corrects it self a second later to be followed by another misfire which gives a lurching feeling. This seems to happen about 25% of the time. If anyone can help, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Fitzsy

The man with the laptop took you for a ride. The idle speed is not adjustable, but is easily reset by taking the eFI fuse out. See other threads. Sounds like your ISCV (control valve is sticking) and you may have a leak in the throttle body or air intake. Loss of vacuum will cause the symptoms you've described. Check all flow from the air filter.

The man with the laptop took you for a ride. The idle speed is not adjustable, but is easily reset by taking the eFI fuse out. See other threads. Sounds like your ISCV (control valve is sticking) and you may have a leak in the throttle body or air intake. Loss of vacuum will cause the symptoms you've described. Check all flow from the air filter.

Thanks very much for the info, looks like I'll be having a chat with the 'laptap man', sooner rather than later.

Fitzsy

• 2 months later...

Thanks very much for the info, looks like I'll be having a chat with the 'laptap man', sooner rather than later.

Fitzsy

HI

Just registered and seem to have the same problem as you.

Have a 1.6 CD manual that just seems to start misifiring / losing power for no reason, and then starts running fine again.

Car stars and runs fine to start with - although idles at nearly 2k to start - and can then run fine for as long as 30 minutes, or as short as 5 before it starts playing up.

Plugs are fine - platinums, and a full service hasn't made any difference...

Dis you manage to fix your Carina ?

If not can someone help me ?

Thanks

i think i have the same problem as ye but i dont no. my car is not driveing on right and when you start it up she sits on 2000revs and when she gets warm she will nearly drop under 500revs when idle. i have found that there has been this white stuff like lime going through the distributor cap and i dont no how it was getting there.

So i have order there today a new distributor cap, a rotor arm, spark plugs and leads. hopefully it will sort my problem out.

mine is the gti carina.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to solve the same problem but can't find the fault. Funny how I can find people asking about this fault all over the web for years but not a single working solution.

HI

Just registered and seem to have the same problem as you.

Have a 1.6 CD manual that just seems to start misifiring / losing power for no reason, and then starts running fine again.

Car stars and runs fine to start with - although idles at nearly 2k to start - and can then run fine for as long as 30 minutes, or as short as 5 before it starts playing up.

Plugs are fine - platinums, and a full service hasn't made any difference...

Dis you manage to fix your Carina ?

If not can someone help me ?

Thanks

Need to ask all you guys if your motors use water? If so, this may be a clue, particularly if there is a fine leak from the thermostat housing. this could be causing a damp distributor once the car is upto full temperature. Have a look. Incorrect grading of spark plugs will also cause misfire, hesitancy at full temperature.

Need to ask all you guys if your motors use water? If so, this may be a clue, particularly if there is a fine leak from the thermostat housing. this could be causing a damp distributor once the car is upto full temperature. Have a look. Incorrect grading of spark plugs will also cause misfire, hesitancy at full temperature.

Nope you are completely on the wrong track. The problem is one of the injectors breaking down in heated conditions. It will lose all resistance and stop working. There are so many going they are on back order at Toyota and Bosch (the real manufacturer) has none left in Europe! A self service scrapyard I visited recently had the injectors out of every 4A-FE Carina. It's just a badly made part failing on many cars.

The injector will work as intended in normal conditions and then misfire when it gets hot

I've had 3 4a-fe engine models myself and worked on many many more and never had 1 injector failure...strange? Is this specific to the SB models? In fact I've never had an injector on any Toyota...must be lucky..!!

I've had 3 4a-fe engine models myself and worked on many many more and never had 1 injector failure...strange? Is this specific to the SB models? In fact I've never had an injector on any Toyota...must be lucky..!!

I have no idea. I replaced the problematic injector today and it runs fine. The fault is gone.

It is listed on a mechanics site as a 'common fault' so it must be.

My carina e solair, 4A-FE engine has developed this mis-fire prob in last month, tend to agree with mixino 1, sounded like it was only firing on three, changed plugs today, fitted NGK-BKR6EP-13 Halfords wanted £13.50 each, Googled NGK found www.Spark-Plugs.co.uk £37.13 set of four delivered Tuesday, only ordered Monday!

Mix, how did you know which one to change?,

would it be better to change all four, so they are all the same?

You say the fault is gone, you tried it on a hot day?

My carina e solair, 4A-FE engine has developed this mis-fire prob in last month, tend to agree with mixino 1, sounded like it was only firing on three, changed plugs today, fitted NGK-BKR6EP-13 Halfords wanted £13.50 each, Googled NGK found www.Spark-Plugs.co.uk £37.13 set of four delivered Tuesday, only ordered Monday!

Mix, how did you know which one to change?,

would it be better to change all four, so they are all the same?

You say the fault is gone, you tried it on a hot day?

To find the dodgy injector you need an ohmmeter. You run the car til the fault appears. Switch the engine off.

You then check the injectors by taking the electrical connector blocks off the injectors. You then stick the + and - probes on the two terminals. It should give you a reading of around 16 ohms. On one injector there will be no reading at all. You need to replace that one.

P.S. The problem is gone and the injectors are well over £100 each. You will only want to replace one!

Thanks Mix,

I thought they might be expensive, fitted the new NGK platinum plugs, been OK since, waiting for a really hot day to test it totally.

Guy at work suggested you may be able to get replacement injectors from Bosch as well? a bit cheaper than Toyota.

So, r all the cars with problems SB models...(built in UK?)...is this the link?

Thanks Mix,

I thought they might be expensive, fitted the new NGK platinum plugs, been OK since, waiting for a really hot day to test it totally.

Guy at work suggested you may be able to get replacement injectors from Bosch as well? a bit cheaper than Toyota.

They keep on going out of stock and Toyota get first shout. They can be got through Bosch using the Bosch part number which I think (from memory) is 0 280 150 439. If I had to wait for Bosch it would have been weeks.

Thanks Mix,

It is probably the Lean Burn ones which all the SB ones are.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Mix,

It is probably the Lean Burn ones which all the SB ones are.

Hi... I have a Toyota Carina 1600i 16v, I had that very problem, Checked everything and couldnt find the fault, Someone told me to check the Injectors, I found injector no.4 wasnt functioning, Not injectors rarely fail but check anyway...

I found that the problem was only happening when vehicle is warm or under pressure like up hill, At last i have Power again hehehe...

By the way, Injectors from toyota £200 EACH!! To replace all 4 Injectors around £800, i nearly collapsed... Luckily i knew someone who had a spare one...

Good Luck

Regards

Leon (aka DT5567)

Leon,

New injector from my local Toyota Dealer cost £124.10 inc VAT, part no- T23209-02030, Cured the prob, mine was No3, My mechanic said it was cracked when he removed it, says its a fairly common prob with these engines, he has done a few, checked out local Bosch supplier, and they quoted a similar price, when they could get one, My symptoms where similar to yours, BIG thanks to mixino1, who nailed the prob!

Thanks Mix!

Leon,

New injector from my local Toyota Dealer cost £124.10 inc VAT, part no- T23209-02030, Cured the prob, mine was No3, My mechanic said it was cracked when he removed it, says its a fairly common prob with these engines, he has done a few, checked out local Bosch supplier, and they quoted a similar price, when they could get one, My symptoms where similar to yours, BIG thanks to mixino1, who nailed the prob!

Thanks Mix!

I doubt the injector was cracked. They are tough cookies physically. The knackered one I had went through a pressure test and spray test at a Bosch service centre. It was fine. It's the electrical function that goes. It would be really hard to tell anything other than a large crack on removal even if the fuel system is depressurised. The fuel rail just sends fuel everywhere when you remove it.

I am glad your problem got sorted. Hopefully less people will have to spend money on spark plugs, leads and distributers now!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all....new to the board,

are the injectors easy to install ? I am having the same problem with my Carina E in Germany, Loss of power, mis-firing

Thanks in advance

are the injectors easy to install ? I am having the same problem with my Carina E in Germany, Loss of power, mis-firing

Thanks in advance

Yes the injectors are really easy to change on the A-FE engines. You need to depressurise the fuel system though or you will have a real mess on your hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in advance

Yes the injectors are really easy to change on the A-FE engines. You need to depressurise the fuel system though or you will have a real mess on your hands.

Hi,I have just tested my injectors with a multi meter and you are correct,it is #3 which is loosing its resistance when hot.£70 plus carrage (from Germany) and the VAT.Got it from Bosch direct as they were £35 cheaper than Toyota dealer!

Just one thing,whats the best way of getting said item out and depressurising fuel system,is a big cloth all thats needed or pull out fuel pump fuse and run out of fuel ??Hope someone can help. :unsure:

Thanks in advance

Hi,I have just tested my injectors with a multi meter and you are correct,it is #3 which is loosing its resistance when hot.£70 plus carrage (from Germany) and the VAT.Got it from Bosch direct as they were £35 cheaper than Toyota dealer!

Just one thing,whats the best way of getting said item out and depressurising fuel system,is a big cloth all thats needed or pull out fuel pump fuse and run out of fuel ??Hope someone can help. :unsure:

I would get a Haynes manual to aid you. However, to depressurise the fuel system lift the rear seats. There is a flap in the carpet on the passenger side. Life this flap and you will see the fuel pump housing. Remove the electrical connection. Turn the car over until you are sure fuel is no longer getting to the engine.

From memory you have to remove four bolts holding the injector inlet housing on. I think you need to remove the accelerator cable from the adjustment housing to get into it. You do not need to disconnect the fuel hoses like it says in the Haynes manual.

You will need new seals for the new injector if it doesn't have them. It isn't a bad idea to replace all the seals on all the injectors while you are there.

Hi there

My Injector was buggered #3 also in my car. Thankfully I had a friendly mechanic at hand who fitted it :)

Regards

Kbbrux