Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Parts Would I Need...

JappyBeast

Roughly what parts would I need to convert my n/a to a Turbo?..

My n/a engine has had it and I'm wondering if I should go down the Turbo route, dont fancy spending £3000 tho.

If I can get the engine and other parts I would find a place to do it for me.

I've got an engine coming over from Japan... not sure on delivery time though, but it includes complete unit with turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler, injectors, ecu... but not gearbox.

To do a conversion you're probably best off asking Matt at Rogue or midmotorSteve. They'll give you a run down of EXACTLY what's needed... not just theoretically.

Definitely find out what sort of time scale you're looking at too. What some people think is an acceptable time to be without your car is different to others... depending on circumstances... and car events coming up!!!

I'm gonna give Rogue a call over the next few days and see what my options are.

I need to know if its worth doing, i got quoted £300 plus VAT to just fit the same engine back in my car.. It might be worth paying a fair bit more and having a turbo.

This is a list of all the things we change when we do a conversion...

- engine, inc gearbox, turbo, driveshafts, manifolds, loom etc... the whole lump.

- Fuel pump as its bigger in the turbo - nightmare job!!

- gear selector cables as they are a different length

- Accelerator cable as its a different length

- Intercooler and relative pipework

- Coil and igniter

- Resistor pack

- ECU

- There are other little bits but I can't possibly list them all, I'd be here all day!!

Takes us about a week and that includes painting up to look a bit like this....

dairymilk.jpg

milktray.jpg

This one went in to a 1999 UK MR2 and is probably one of the nicest MR2's I've ever driven... and I've driven a few now!!

how much is your conversion matt?

with engine supplied by the customer and also a price for an engine found by your self.

i will be needing a turbo conversion but it will proberbly be later in the year

Have you checked your insurance? it might be worth doing that before you go ahead!

as it might be cheaper to buy a 'stock' turbo MR2 than having a custom N/A

Tim :thumbsup:

I phoned up Rogue systems a few months back about the conversion. They said all the parts for a turbo conversion would cost about £1500. Not sure how much fitting would be. They said it probably wasn't worth doing but I would do it if I had the money available. Fair enough turbo's are coming down in price but it can be a real hassle looking round trying to find the right one in the right condition.

i will proberbly end up sourcing my own turbo and then rebuild and strenthen it before it goes in.

wont be for a while though!

If you think about it, they're probably making the point that it's not a viable proposition. The cost of a donor car (or complete engine), plus preparation and fitting would cost around the same as you could pick up a decent Rev 1/2 turbo.

At the end of the day, it's down to the individual. If you like your car and want the modification done, then it's worth the money. I say go for it. :thumbsup:

A lot of the people that come to us for transplants have already spent a lot of money on there cars... probably more than they would get if they were to sell it. So instead they stick with there car, after all they know the car, they know whats good about it and bad about it... buying an new car is always a risk, you never know what is round the corner with a new car.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links