Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2000 Camry Engine Died!

mwbrinegar

:censor:

I was just informed by my Toyota dealer that my engine needs to be replaced (at a cost of about $1600.00), after I had it towed to their location. They told me there "wasn't a drop of oil in it", and are blaming me for it (i.e. no warranty coverage).

The "check engine" light never came on. The temperature guage was in its normal position--I always notice that, as I'm also a pilot (I look at almost everything). The oil light only briefly flashed on about 4 days ago, prompting me to add a quart of oil, which caused the oil light to stay off. By the way, there is no puddle of oil under my parking space.

How can my engine be completely ruined without ANY indication of a problem on the dashboard??? I've had the "check engine" light come on before when I didn't screw the gas cap on tight enough--how ironic that it cares so much about that, but will let my engine totally die without so much as a peep (so to speak). This is honestly the worst designing of dashboard indicators I'm aware of (assuming I'm being told the truth by the dealer), not to mention other things. I'm an engineer myself, and I've never seen designing this bad. That's a powerful statement--believe me.

Has anyone out there had any similar problems? Does that price seem right for a new engine? Should this be covered by the warranty (still within 3 years of beginning of lease) to any extent? ANY help/comments will be appreciated--thanks.

--Mark Brinegar

Sort of...

When I frist bought my car (2nd hand 11 year old mR2) it died 200 miles out of the garage due to no oil and blowing the engine...

Apparently the oil warning light does not necessarily come on depending on what speed you are doing due to the running pressure of th engine...

Luckily as I had only had it 2 days the garage replaced it under warranty (the eingine that is)

$1600.00 is a good price!

Mark,

Toyota engine doesn't have any other way to determine if there is any oil in it as to read the oil pressure on the output of the oil pump. By the time you stop the car and add more oil it may be too late. Other cars have similar design. That is why responsibility of every driver is to make sure engine has enough oil by doing frequent checks.

You didn't indicate how much oil your engine had, when you first saw a warning light. Did a quart of oil bring it to a normal level? Maybe you have a mulfunctioning oil warning light or pressure switch? Any way I would have a major concern over loosing a lot of oil in a new car and wouldn't drive it until the problem is found and fixed.

You may try to force the dealer to check the warning system. At least he may share the new engine cost with you if original warning system had a problem.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

A 2 year old car losing an engine i gotta think that there was more than just one problem if you treated the car right. Really if you get reg. oil changes then i have no idea where the oil could of gone unless you drive l ike a madman :)

dipstick. need I say more?

When mine went it went from soundiung sweet as a nut to big bangs and nasty noises so can appreciate how quick it can actually change.

As Carl states if the disptick is regularly used you should have had no problems, if it's not used enough, you end up getting a bill for a new engine....

I suppose anything could have happened, problem with the sump, oil pump etc....

:o sorry about that man!

friend bought a Solara, not even two or three months later he had to replace the engine! they told him apparently when the motor was manufactured they might have dropped it and it caused a hair line fracture that later with time and heat cracked open and dumped it's oil some how! dealer replaced it though!

• 1 month later...

I feel you pain. I have a 99 Camry and last night the engine blew. I just had the oil changed on the 2nd of July. There was plenty of oil on the dipstick and no LED's came on the dashboard. I am so frustrated. It is within the five years, but it has 75k miles on it. So, it looks like I will be replacing it. I will find out tomorrow how much. If it is only 1600, I don't think that is too bad. The tow truck driver last night was telling me like 4-5k for the engine. I could live with 1600. It come off a lease in November and my wife and I were thinking of buying it. It's residual is 10200. We always talk about how reliable it is. Up til now, we had replaced two lights and that was it. We regularly had maint on it, so I am not sure what caused it to go. Maybe just a very expensive fluke.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The Toyota dealer is replacing the engine in my 2002 Tacoma right now. Only 10 months old with 26,000 miles. About 4 weeks ago it started using 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of oil a week. Took it to the dealer for it's 25,000 mile service and told them about the problem and asked them to check for leaks. They didn't find any and made an appointment to do more tests a week later. By the time I brought it back it had used 3 1/2 quarts. Truck failed a compresion test and they ordered a new engine, no questions. A little disapointed that the engine failed, I bought it because thet are supposed to be bullet proof, but happy with Toyota's handling so far.

• 4 months later...

what dealer dd you take yours to? My engine blew sat night (similiar situation) and I'm told it's 4-5 k. Does anyone know of a place in Houston with some good pricing.

2000 Camry, CE

Thanks.

CESH

• 3 months later...
:censor:

I was just informed by my Toyota dealer that my engine needs to be replaced (at a cost of about $1600.00), after I had it towed to their location. They told me there "wasn't a drop of oil in it", and are blaming me for it (i.e. no warranty coverage).

The "check engine" light never came on. The temperature guage was in its normal position--I always notice that, as I'm also a pilot (I look at almost everything).

I had the same problem with my 97 Camry. No warning. However I could plainly see the oil ALL OVER the bottom of the engine. Dealer said it was "an old leak". Yeah right!

Bottom line, after much argument they wouldn't replace the engine in this "certified" vehicle.

Cost me $2400 with labor for a used engine. The 4cyl engines seem to be very troublesome.