Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"bouncing Idle" How To Bleed?

russgregg

Hey Guys, i've just bought an '86 mk1 and am sorting out the few teething problems that i got as part of the deal!

i'm told the strange cold idle is caused by bubbles in the coolant passing the sensor,

what i'd like to know (in the absence of a haynes manual) is the procedure to properly bleed the coolant (is it just a matter of using the drain on the bottom of the radiator?)

One other thing - i notice a petrol smell when driving with the window down - the tank and fuel system in general seems to be free of leaks, could it be an overfuelling problem? haven't looked in depth yet - any ideas welcomed

thanks

Russ

Hi Russ B) Welcome to TOC B)

I have an '85 MKI that had similar problems - both easily sorted.

Do you have the owners manual for your MKI? It's a bit hard to explain without pics... All information is in the owners handbook.

Here's the info any way:

On the fuel smell in the cabin read here:

MKI Fuel Smell Solution

My mechanic said it was a simple fix as outlined in the post, but I would advise replacing the breather valve too :thumbsup:

On the coolant bleeding:

1] Put your heater controls to warm

2] remove spare wheel

3] remove the two vinyl hoses attached to the frame behind the spare.

4] Connect one end of one hose to the heater bleeder plug and tape the other end to the bonnet as high as it will go - do not block.

5] Connect the one end of the other hose to the radiator bleader plug and tape the other end to the bonnet support arm as high as it will go - do not block

6] Loosen the valves on both plugs about three complete turns.

7] Loosen the bleeder vlave on the coolant inlet housing near the gear box about three turns.

8] Add Glycol based coolant to the coolant filler gap (where the radiator type cap was). Until full. Wait a few minutes to let level drop and fill again. reapeat as often as required.

9] Squeeze the larger hoses around the coolant filler gap to let additional air out the bleeder plugs. reeat steps 8 and 9 until you're sure there is no air left in the system.

10] When coolant level is aprox just under 1/2 way between the markings in the resevoir tank (clear bottle next to coolant filler gap) add water to it to bring to max level.

11] Close all the bleeder valves/plugs.

12] Replace the radiator type cap to one click-stop (do not tighten completely).

13] Start the engine and run on fast idle for about 3-5 minutes.

14] Stop the engine

15] Check levels in resevior and in coolant filler gap. Repeat Steps 9 - 13 if needed.

16] Once satisfied, replace radiator type cap securely (all the way to end-stop).

17] Run engine again for 3-5 minutes.

18] Top up resevior with water again to "full" mark.

19] Start the engine again and check for any leaks etc...

20] Replace vinyl hoses, spare wheel and plastic covers.

21] Check levels weekly or every 250 miles.

Note: - clean spilled coolant of components and paintwork thoroughly - it's highly corrosive!

HTH :thumbsup:

PS: if you want copies of the pages from the owners book send my a PM and I'll see if I can scan them in for you :thumbsup:

A fuel Breather Valve is advertised on eBay. Chance to possibly grab a bargain. Toyota want over £25 for a new one. I got mine from a scrappy for nothing, but only because he waisted my time telling me he had good panels from a red MKI and when I got there it was a MKII (and the panels were in a bad condition) :ffs:

Anyhoo here's the eBay link:

Ebay breather Valve