Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Early & Late Gti Spec

Maxed Corolla GTI

hi there

jus a quick question. I have an early spec F reg model - 89 year corolla Gti. I am getting rear calipers of a late spec G Reg - 90 as mines have seized. Would they fit directly on my car without any problems? Or are there differences? Also would the rear brake disks from a late spec fit on mine?

I need to get my rear brakes sorted out so your help is appreciated.

Thanks

To my knowledge all AE92 GTi's have the same rear calipers (believe earlier AE82's are the same <_< ) but there are (or were according to the AP Lockhead parts book in 1995) two sizes of rear brake disc for the AE92 and nothing to do with 'age' of GTi either!(think it claimed it was a 'thickness' thing) However in the 90's I have never experianced it with friends who used to mess with AE82's, AE86's and AE92's.

I presume you are getting the parts of a 'scrapper' by all means get the calipers but rear brake discs and pads are quite cheap brand new from a motorfactors (that way you could be sure about the correct disc size then).

hi yeh im getting them from a breaker. The car has not been driven for nearly 2 years and he says the calipers are in good condition. I am already goin go to be changing my pads with standard ones but was wondering that if I get the disks at a very cheap price and in good condition then why not?

I am definately getting the calipers as i shouldnt have any problems getting them fitted. But a little worried bout disks? Even if the disks are slightly different in width...would it really make that much of a big difference when fitting?

Wheres the best place to buy standard disks from at a very good price? Im picking up pads for around £25 from lloyds motor spares which is a standard price for blueprint products.

Maxed Corolla GTI Posted Today, 11:47 AM

Im picking up pads for around £25 from lloyds motor spares which is a standard price for blueprint products.

Thats a good price and good product firm (Genuine pads of Toyota are about £40).

Why not try same place for disc price I think Blueprint do them as well.

I rang them earlier and they said £20 + VAT for the Blueprint Rear Pads.

I asked them about the rear discs and they said they was £30 + VAT Each so £60+VAT for the pair. That was by a company called Brake Engineering.

Im gona see my mechanic tomorrow and see if I need to change my discs or jus the pads and calipers.

I just got EBC standard Rear pads for my twincam and they cost me 9.67 all in, and was quoted 36.6? for the rear discs (standard EBC), its CHEAP i know, its because my mate works for Merc and he got this trade card which allows you to shop at Ascotts and they are DIRT CHEAP. If you live anywhere near coventry id be more then happy to get them for you and whatever else??

Calipers, i hate that word, ive had a nightmare with mines, only my front right brake works and has been for the past month, and i need calipers baad, i "eventually" found this place (www.speedways.co.uk) that sells Brandnew rear calipers for 95.00 each with a 30.00 trade in on your old calipers (even if theyre useless, as long as theyre not cracked anywhere) pretty good price when you consider that you dont know how much life a second hand caliper is guna have left??

If anyone is interested in any cheap bits and i can help then feel free to drop me an email and im sure we can arrange something

You might find the calipers from MKI MR2's may fit too. Only sugesting as the pads are the same. There are MKI rear calipers going on eBay.

Just a quick question on rear calipers since we are on this subject,

on my car the osr caliper seems to stick every now and again and the handbrake sounds like its going to give way when parked on a steep road,

can only one caliper be at fault or will it always be both of them?

Corolla_Gti-r might need your offer in the very near future

Maxed Corolla GTI apologies for using your thread.

Just a quick question on rear calipers since we are on this subject,

on my car the osr caliper seems to stick every now and again and the handbrake sounds like its going to give way when parked on a steep road,

Often with older cars you will hear a creaking sound when the hadbrake is bedding in and the car rolls slightly forward on a steep slope. This is normal. Often you will need to lift the handbrak further than you normally would - it al depends on how steep the slope is...

You should alway leave the car in gear on a steep slope too - if the car's front is facing downwards, leave the car in reverse and if the front is facing upwards, leave the car in 1st.

can only one caliper be at fault or will it always be both of them?

One caliper can go at a time. It's not neccessary to replace both calipers at the same time - only when it comes to discs and pads, you need to both sides at the same time.

HTH :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links