Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Adjust Handbrake

jcavill

Re my 2002 Yaris 1.3 auto. :help:

Thanks to whoever it was posted the photo to show me how to change my oil and filter (I'm ashamed to say I didn't keep a note of who it was) I have since managed to work out how to change the air filter all on my own

I need your help again please! I now need to adjust the handbrake. Before I start looking underneath for the adjuster can someone tell me whereabouts it's located please?

Annie

Where your handbrake is, there's a plastic clip thing, pull that off, and the gaitor, you should then be able to see your adjusting thing!

Where your handbrake is, there's a plastic clip thing, pull that off, and the gaitor, you should then be able to see your adjusting thing!

I can see the adjusting nut but there doesn't seem to be enough room to turn it with a spanner without removing the plastic trim covering the handbrake and gear selector. what else do I need to do?

Annie

There's a screw in the rear cupholder. Undo that and you can slide the whole thing forward and up. Gives you a bit more room to work.

Yves.

to do it proper u have to remove the rear wheels, remove the drums and adjust it on the adjuster, !Removed! are easy, just a wheel to rotate, the french ones you have to be a little bit more carfull as its a little bit more fidderly.

(sorry for spelllings,.... pub!)

to do it proper u have to remove the rear wheels, remove the drums and adjust it on the adjuster, !Removed! are easy, just a wheel to rotate, the french ones you have to be a little bit more carfull as its a little bit more fidderly.

(sorry for spelllings,.... pub!)

Thanks to both for the info. But how can you tell if the brakes are adjusted correctly if the drums are off?

Also how can I tell if my Yaris is French or Japanese?

Annie.

You can tell if its French or Japanese by a sticker on the windscreen, go outside and look along the top edge of your windscreen and it should say MADE IN wherever! :thumbsup:

You can tell if its French or Japanese by a sticker on the windscreen, go outside and look along the top edge of your windscreen and it should say MADE IN wherever! :thumbsup:

Can't find anything like a sticker with MADE IN etc on my windscreen. Only TOYOTA lamiglass (or similar) on bottom nearside.

Are there any other marks I can look for?

Annie

On the Vin plate if the 1st 3 letters are something like JTD it was made in Japan but if they are different it was made in France, I forget the letters TBH.

Maybe do a search on it! :thumbsup:

• 16 years later...
On 4/6/2005 at 6:24 PM, jcavill said:

Thanks to both for the info. But how can you tell if the brakes are adjusted correctly if the drums are off?

Also how can I tell if my Yaris is French or Japanese?

Annie.

vin starts with VNK are french and vin starts with JTD are japan