Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Sound Normal?

BLOODUK

Had problems with this car this morning, had alot of rain over night and in the morning got the car started fine but within about 5mins it was running rough like trying to stall. Just drove around the block and it was making horrible farting dribbly noises and wouldnt go, like it wasnt firing properly.

Came back to the house, let it warm up to half way point and cleaned the leads, and everything was fine again went into town and back no problem with acceleration.

But what i have noticed is a tick tick tick tick tick sound , when i push the accelerator the sound gets faster , pull it off and the sound is almost gone then starts to get louder again. Doesnt sound like tapping, but ticking...

After my turbo went i became So paranoid over every sound... the other car the banga honda, has its bottom end going.. so i was worried, but they dont sound the same.

But u made me abit relieved ;)

no problem.

Its just heat expansion/compression btw...

Hmmm.... wouldn't be so sure Fidg', depends on whether the ticking noise goes on after the car has stopped and the engine has been turned off. I'd expect a ticking noise then as you mentioned because of heat expension and contraction, but when the motor is going....?

How loud is this ticking Blood, and does it rise and fall with the RPM of the engine? If so, I'd look further mate.

It doesnt rise, but it gets faster with more rpm... if this is an engine problem i may think of scrapping or selling the car, the car is just costing too much in repairs. Its one of the most expensive cars ive ever had to deal with

It doesnt rise, but it gets faster with more rpm... if this is an engine problem i may think of scrapping or selling the car, the car is just costing too much in repairs. Its one of the most expensive cars ive ever had to deal with

I am getting a slight ticking sound, I think its just the valve rockers, I may be wrong though, not sure if a 2 is hydro or solid, can someone enlighten us ?

I have heard of split belts tapping on casings, this might be worth a check as you dont want one going anyway.

Can you not record the sound and post to the site, or is it too quiet ?

Ill have to record the sound not today though, its horrible

if other people are getting a slight ticking sound it may well be normal

no problem.

Its just heat expansion/compression btw...

Hmmm.... wouldn't be so sure Fidg', depends on whether the ticking noise goes on after the car has stopped and the engine has been turned off. I'd expect a ticking noise then as you mentioned because of heat expension and contraction, but when the motor is going....?

How loud is this ticking Blood, and does it rise and fall with the RPM of the engine? If so, I'd look further mate.

true.... true

It is most probably your injectors ticking mate, or at least one of them. Nothing to worry about really... but it can be fixed. Mine does the same, had it to toyota etc they said it was the injectors. Also a mechanic freind of Ricos said the same. He also told Rico how to sort it.

Don't know how, but rico does.... queue Rico... ??... lol.

Does your's still do it Jim? if not how did u get it fixed or should i say how much to get it fixed ;)

It is most probably your injectors ticking mate, or at least one of them. Nothing to worry about really... but it can be fixed. Mine does the same, had it to toyota etc they said it was the injectors. Also a mechanic freind of Ricos said the same. He also told Rico how to sort it.

Don't know how, but rico does.... queue Rico... ??... lol.

Could also just be rattly tappets. :yes: When was the oil changed dude? What grade are you using? If you're using Mobil1, is it the 15-50 or the 0-40? The latter is too thin for the tubby and makes it sound rattly (makes a ticking sound which gets louder when the engine rpm rises).

Don't even think about scrapping it :ffs:

It can be fixed. :thumbsup:

Two question before I give my verdict.

1] Do you have an induction kit fitted?

2] This "tapping" sound does it happen when the car is at standstill?

Yep cant hear the tapping when driving only when idling, the car flies still so its not a performance degrading problem atleast not yet.

Yes induction fitted , been there since i got the car *blitz*

It could just be a belt that's worn or loose. Maybe a piece has frayed and is catching on something?

Joe

So if the ticking is heard at standstill, it eliminates my theory of a stone in the tyre tread :rolleyes: Don't laugh you'd be surprised how many people get cought out by this one :yes:

Come on guys i put the video up , yet nobody seen it?

Downloaded it mate, but quicktime doesn't open it? :blink:

Earl... make sure the file size of the movie is 21megs in size

yousend it is really playing up sometimes it downloads completely

other time's it just completes the download half way!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links