Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux Petrol 4x4 - How Do I Get More Power?

imprator

I have a manual G-reg Hilux 4x4 pickup - not sure whether it is a late '89 or a 1990 vehicle. It is completely standard other than an LPG dual fuel conversion.

I'm not sure what the engine size is - 2.2 litre? - but I would like to increase the power. On the road it's pretty slow when running on petrol, but on LPG it really tests your patience. Off-road (it's a working vehicle), I miss the torque of a decent diesel at low speed.

I'm not looking to fit a V8 or anything drastic, although I have considered a 3-litre turbodiesel. However, I suspect this might get expensive - I imagine wiring would need to be revised, new gearing would be needed in the differentials on both axles, perhaps an uprated cooling system...

So, does anyone know how I might increase engine power and torque, ideally by about 25%, on a budget of a few hundred pounds? The existing engine should be able to take some extra power - 66,000 miles and in fine shape.

Alternatively, would slotting in a second hand higher-capacity petrol engine, maybe a 3-litre, be an option (assuming I can find one cheap enough)? Is there an engine out there that would bolt straight in - and would the driveline take the extra power?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

An alternative engine would be the 3.0ltr out of the Supra, this should fit onto your gearbox with not too many problems, and only a slight mod to the engine mounts, but you would need to be good with electrics to wire the injection and other bits.

To modify your engine would be the cheaper option, read more here http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/mark_e...mark_engine.htm

Theres lots of things you can do to increase power like performance exhaust (but i dont think they made one for a hilux pick up)

Theres Nitrous oxide

But like Andy said the best way is to fit a Supra engine in.

Thanks for the information, guys - just what I was hoping for.

A twin-turbo Supra engine would definitely pep up the performance :eek: but is a little over the top for my intentions. A non-turbo Supra engine is interesting, but doubtless beyond my intended budget. A little work on the existing engine, however, sounds just right; I will look into this further.

The link provided by stevetubbyturbo gives information on increasing the performance of a 22RE engine. Does this mean that this is the standard engine fitted to my vehicle (1989/90 Hilux 4x4 pickup), or can anyone suggest how I might discover which engine is fitted?

Thanks.

Thought it was me that gave the link.

Try looking at the engine plate on the bulkhead, that will tell you what engine it's fitted with.

3.0 liter Supra motor is an inline 6. Big, long longitudinally mounted block.

Not likely to fit under the bonnet of a Hilux, I'm afraid.

You might fit the larger American version 2.7 liter 4 cylinder which is good for about 150+ hp.

If I were you I'd go with a newer diesel though, especially given fuel prices in the UK. If there is a modern D4-D for the Hilux, that's the one I'd choose.

Another option could be forced induction (supercharger) for your current engine, if one is available.

I know they make tons of real performance parts for the 22-RE. Everything from bore-over kits to stroker kits to you name it.

If you have the 22-RE, I beleive that is a 2.4 liter. At least it is in the states. 116 horsepower stock, I beleive.

The 2.7 liter I refered to is used in the current and previous American Hilux (called Tacoma) and it's a punchy motor with plenty of torque. Could be a viable option.

3.0 liter Supra motor is an inline 6. Big, long longitudinally mounted block.

Not likely to fit under the bonnet of a Hilux, I'm afraid.

You might fit the larger American version 2.7 liter 4 cylinder which is good for about 150+ hp.

If I were you I'd go with a newer diesel though, especially given fuel prices in the UK. If there is a modern D4-D for the Hilux, that's the one I'd choose.

Another option could be forced induction (supercharger) for your current engine, if one is available.

I know they make tons of real performance parts for the 22-RE. Everything from bore-over kits to stroker kits to you name it.

If you have the 22-RE, I beleive that is a 2.4 liter. At least it is in the states. 116 horsepower stock, I beleive.

The 2.7 liter I refered to is used in the current and previous American Hilux (called Tacoma) and it's a punchy motor with plenty of torque. Could be a viable option.

This is for the 2.8 supra engine swap.

http://www.4wd.net.nz/suprasurf.htm

And another, http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/supra/

Thought it was me that gave the link.

Whooops - quite right, sorry about that.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

A Supra engine is really more than I am looking for. Of course, I wouldn't object to more power, but the complications involved in fitting such an engine would take it beyond my intended budget.

Similarly, a diesel might be the ideal option - but a petrol engine will probably be a simpler and cheaper way to go. (As I have an LPG system fitted fuel costs will be also be less with a petrol engine.)

The 2.7 litre Hilux petrol engine sounds very interesting, or perhaps a few performance enhancements to my existing engine.

I have now discovered that the existing engine is a 2.2 litre 4Y engine. Does anyone happen to know whether performance parts are available for this engine, and if so where I might find a dealer for them in the UK?

Thanks.

Its been done before

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31951

weather the Uk Hilux is the same as the american i dont know

:thumbsup:

UK Hilux is essentially the same as the American Toyota Tacoma prior to 2005 model year. The 2005 ---> Tacoma is an all new, slightly larger design not sold outside the U.S.

BTW, the DOHC 2.7 liter I was refering to makes 164 bhp in the most recent version and engine code is 3RZ-FE should you decide to look for one. I beleive it is only sold in the states, though, so that is where you'd want to look for one.

For the Hilux, there's also the 4 cam 3.4 liter V6 with 190 bhp. That's 5VZ-FE

I had a '96 Tacoma (Hilux) single cab 4x4 with one of those myself a while back. Real screamer. Surprised the crap out of many the sports car driver off the line! :lol:

Oh, 4Y? Are you sure?

I think that's a carburated engine with well under 100 bhp!

They use it in forklifts now....

If that's the case, you could just drop in an inexpensive rebuilt 22-RE in and you'd have probably 25 more horsepower than you do now.

If you do have the carburated 4Y (I think that's the only kind) then I wouldn't bother trying to beef it up. Even a new carb won't do too much, you'd be better off with a new or remanufactured (newer) engine.

22-RE is a fuel injected 2.4 liter with 116 hp. Extremely common and plenty of parts for it. That seems to be the natural upgrade path for you IMO. You should be able to find one inexpensively.

Oh, 4Y?  Are you sure?

I think that's a carburated engine with well under 100 bhp!

They use it in forklifts now....

Yes, it's definitely the 4Y engine, complete with the glories of a carburettor and an automatic choke. A forklift seems an appropriate home for it...

I had hoped to uprate the existing engine as a more straightforwared job than swapping engines. In particular, installing a fuel injected engine to replace a carburettor engine is outside my experience. Time for a word with my friendly local mechanic, I think.

As it seems I am looking at a replacement engine, it may well be the 2.4 litre to make things easier - and low-cost.

Then again, if I have to play with injection systems and ECU's anyway, a larger engine is tempting. The engines from the States are interesting, but would doubtless involve more expense than I would wish. However, I do notice that the Toyota Surf and 4-Runner have 3 litre petrol engine options. Would I be right in thinking that these engines might bolt straight in to the my Hilux?

Thanks.

Then again, if I have to play with injection systems and ECU's anyway, a larger engine is tempting. The engines from the States are interesting, but would doubtless involve more expense than I would wish. However, I do notice that the Toyota Surf and 4-Runner have 3 litre petrol engine options. Would I be right in thinking that these engines might bolt straight in to the my Hilux?

Thanks.

They should. The question is whether or not they will bolt directly to your existing transmission. The 3.0 V6 you're refering too is good for 150 hp and about 180 lbft of torque, it's a solid motor though the fuel economy may hurt you if that Hilux is your daily driver.

Perhaps you can find a wrecked newer Hilux or Hilux Surf with a 2.4 22RE and transmission you can just buy outright and install in your vehicle.

The 2.4 would give you worlds better performance than you're used to, it's a very flexible engine with good low end torque for it's size and they last forever. Also very common so it should be easy to find one and should not be expensive. If somewhere down the road you decide you want even a bit more power, there are tons of parts for it and the motor itself should be inexpensive, even in remanufactured and warrantied form. Toyota even made a turbo version, at least in the U.S. back in the late 1980's before they began putting a optional 3.0 V6 in.

I have a 1988 Hilux with that same 4Y engine. Not exactly powerful, is it? :D

I happen to think it sounds pretty nice though. I have 33" tyres fitted on my truck and that slows it down somewhat too. Anyway, I have been told by a mate of mine that a Nissan turbodiesel engine can be bolted straight in and I am going to give it some consideration. I am not sure of the engine size, I only heard about the possibility today. If anyone else has heard about this I would be glad for some more info.

I have a 1988 Hilux with that same 4Y engine.  Not exactly powerful, is it?  :D

I happen to think it sounds pretty nice though.

Not too powerful, no - and on LPG it's even worse...

It sounds as if we're on the same quest. The 22RE engine recommended by scionic and others sounds good, and for me it will be cheaper to run than a diesel as I can swap the LPG system to the new engine.

Still, I could be tempted by a good sized turbo-diesel, so that Nissan engine you mention might be an option. I would be very interested to hear more if you get any further information.

Cheers.

I forgot to mention, I found that my 4Y was seriously retarded in the timing... your LPG conversion may also have affected this although I'm certainly no expert on this. I just advanced the timing a bit and gained a whole lot more power, of course you have to be careful it doesn't start knocking. Something very quick to look at that may give you some gains.

Advancing engine timing too far can cause serious engine damage in a short time, just FYI. It's something you want to be VERY careful with.