Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Diesel Information

emicen

Been thinking about getting a commuting car and my mate has the Corolla below. His is the 1.3, I've been thinking about the turbo diesel variety of the same age. Would be nice to know what fuel ecconomy to expect and what the towing capacity for a braked trailor is so I could maybe use it as a towing !Removed! for the celica's.

CorollaSide.jpg

The diesel version of the E10 Corolla pictured was a standard, indirect injection atmo model, no turbo. Always performed a little stronger than the numbers might have suggested, but by no means a torque-laden workhorse (couldn't quite muster 100 lb-ft at peak). In an old magazine test, an N-reg Corolla 2.0D GS estate hit 60 mph in 13.7 seconds and averaged 43.2 mpg. Towing capacity is quoted as 1000 kg.

...and beleive it or not the 2.0 D Diesel of this era is actually Peugeot engined which Toyota fitted under license.

...and beleive it or not the 2.0 D Diesel of this era is actually Peugeot engined  which Toyota fitted under license.

Only the 1WZ 1.9D fitted to the first of the E11 facelift models was a PSA engine. Earlier models used the 2C, which was Toyota's own design. Despite having a similar output to the 2C, the 1WZ models took a full 2 seconds longer to make it to 60 mph.

The later 1CD-FTV 2.0 D-4D that arrived in October 2000 was the diesel to have. It still "only" mustered 88 bhp (intercooled models in the Avensis, Previa, later Corolla, et al. made more), but more importantly, the torque curve was enormously flexible, pumping out 158 lb-ft at 2000-2400 rpm. Intercooled models added 20 bhp and 27 lb-ft for 108 bhp and 185 lb-ft, though the CDE110 never got the intercooler. TTE chips are available that will bring the non-intercooled engine to the same power levels as the intercooled version.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links