Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Engine Blacklist

tubaman

Following on from one of my previous threads, can anyone `lay their hands on` the engine numbers on Toyota's BLACK LIST ?

ie. the 1.8 VVt-i engines with the high oil usage issue

black list? hm

Having read all the various threads over past 9 months or so, there is a list. It was mentioned by someone who`s son/relative (cant remember which)was a mechanic at a main Toyota dealership.

Toyota UK will definately know the batch numbers/dates of engines affected but dont suppose it is in their company`s interest to broadcast the fact !

• 9 months later...

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I have tried to contact Toyota - they did not want to know.

There must be someone out there who works for Toyota and can have a cheeky look. We won't tell honest!!

Are we sure that there is such a thing as an official list, afterall some people on here have had repeated engine replacements which makes me think that there is a bad year rather than batch but the problem hasn't been totally fixed just improved.

I have an indication of safe engine number when countermeasures were in place to correct. Please PM me with you engine number ( from Letter U ) + last 6 numbers of VIN & I will let you know where you stand.

For obvious reasons I cannot publish it.

:thumbsup:

list does exist dealership told me ie this is why they changed my mums block on her rolla they have modified the parts due to a fault so how can they say no known fault daft or cheaper to change a few blocks rather than a full recall ummm ummm

• 3 weeks later...

I have an indication of safe engine number when countermeasures were in place to correct. Please PM me with you engine number ( from Letter U ) + last 6 numbers of VIN & I will let you know where you stand.

Dear Starensis,

I have just joined the forum.

I need your help please! I have placed an order for a second hand Avensis at our Toyota dealer two days ago. It is an Avensis 1.8 VTT-I manufactured in 2001. It was the car that I could afford.

The VIN is SB1642BN10E044662. Could you help me please to find out if this car is not in the BLACK LIST.

Your help would be very much appreciated! I have to pay for the car on Tuesday, January 31.

Thank you in advance and looking forward for your information..... :help:

Dear Starensis,

I need your help please! I have placed an order for a second hand Avensis at our Toyota dealer two days ago. It is an Avensis 1.8 VTT-I manufactured in 2001. It was the car that I could afford.

The VIN is SB1642BN10E044662. Could you help me please to find out if this car is not in the BLACK LIST.

Your help would be very much appreciated! I have to pay for the car on Tuesday, January 31.

There are 2 potential causes of the oil consumption. The first relates to Cracks in cylinder head, which was countermeasured in Feb 2001. As for the Block, all I can tell you on this is that countermeasure #1 was introduced in April 2002 which altered piston ring treatment, #2 involved drilling of oil channels, which was introduced in Jan 2003.

So if your car was built between start of VVT-I production in 2000/2001 & May 2002, you will potentially have the oil consumption issue. Anything built post May 2002 or possibly post Jan 03 should not exhibit this concern.

Dear Starensis,

There are 2 potential causes of the oil consumption. The first relates to Cracks in cylinder head, which was countermeasured in Feb 2001. As for the Block, all I can tell you on this is that countermeasure #1 was introduced in April 2002 which altered piston ring treatment, #2 involved drilling of oil channels, which was introduced in Jan 2003.

So if your car was built between start of VVT-I production in 2000/2001 & May 2002, you will potentially have the oil consumption issue. Anything built post May 2002 or possibly post Jan 03 should not exhibit this concern.

Thanks a lot. I really do appreciate your help. I will keep looking for other Avensis, outside the dead zone (2000-2002) this time...

:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links