Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats The Best Induction Kit For Bhp?

sewelly

Just wondering what your opinions are on the best induction kit for bhp?? any suggestions?

Debateable. Probably stock airbox with a K&N filter.

The problem with all airbox replacements is they allow hot engine air into the intake unless you block it off.

Have a look in the sticky threads for an air filter test on a 300bhp supra .. TBH they are all fairly similar.

tru... but for sound.. you want a cone filter!.. hmm... Apexi.. :rolleyes:

i have the huge carbon viper filter on mine. really makes a big differance to the noise and performance.

i got mine at trade price as i have a trade account with piperx, i wouldent pay the full £250 for it though

Air filters are just a way of letting your motor breath easier and should be the first mod along with exhaust to be put on your motor.

Dont be fooled into believing that this will increrase the performance of your car dramatically and NO you wont feel any power increase, maybee a slight increase in throttle response time but no it wont make your car into a rocket by no means.

There great for:

1 - looking good, and

2 - noise - oh yes they make your car sound sweeter, add and exhaust to this and you'd think you were driving a TVR :drool:

Big BHP gains come in the forms of intercoolers, cams, turbo's etc etc not air filters SO DONT WASTE TOO MUCH MONEY ON AN EXPENSIVE AIR FILTER!

Just to confuse you a bit here - apexi is apparently one of the best. :blink:

Happy hunting. :thumbsup:

Cheers lads thanks for the help. Anymore will be greatful.

Fizz nice car mate :thumbsup:

I agree with swales_p, go for filtration vs cost as the bhp increase is negligible. The apexi and k&n's are both good for filtration (and noise) but the k&n is cheaper (having said that I still went and got an apexi!)

Apexi. :thumbsup:

Well happy with mine. Not much response difference except its smoother through the revs rather than a boost around 3-4000.

But it sounds the dogs ***** :yes:

k&n on my n/a, i wouldnt bother the extra expense for an apexi unless your gettin a turbo. or if you want your engine to look a bit of a show piece.

(think ive just started a debate by saying that, awaits first reply)

Air filters are worth it just for the noise in my view. Dunno if others find the same but after my cone filter was fitted the throttle response was considerably better, although at the expense of a slight loss in revviness. Not sure if I actually gained any power, maybe a bit. Ideally cone filters need a heatshield and a cold air feed.

this is mine.

viper.jpg

i will also be seelng a few filters at donny including an new mr2 induction kit if anyone is interested

Personally for an N/A I'd go for K&N - not only bacuase I have only used them - but I have had good results proven on a dyno.

Before the filter and after I only owned My Rev3 for 3 weeks, I put it on a rolling road as a "health check" and start point for my mods. I got 171.5bhp 3 or 4 months later, after a service, running on optimax and the only mod was a K&N I got 183.5bhp.

There were other people that were at both rolling roads with a mix of personal gains and losses.

I now have a K&N on my MKI and rersponse and sound is awesome B)

A filter wont make much improvement at all, maybe 2bhp if your lucky. In some cases (proven) they will actually reduce bhp and I've seen the same filter be tested on the same car on the same day within minutes and the only change was the location of the filter and the bhp changed by 5bhp.

It's just really a noise and looks factor as you wont notice a 2bhp increase. You might thinkyou do, it might sound like it is performing much better, you might actually feel it perform beter but 2bhp aint nothing and the mind plays tricks. You think, therefore you believe.

I'm getting a cheapo filter purely for looks and sound myself.

Yeah I'd probably agree with Fitz, they're more for sound.

These magazines and companies make me laugh when they quote that induction kits add 10+bhp, maybe on a very highly powered car like over 300bhp.

It depends on the car really, the stock airbox on the mr2 turbo (dunno if NA has the same layout) is actually very good and the performance gains would be negligible or even negative! Mine is for sound and extra space really

It depends on the car really, the stock airbox on the mr2 turbo (dunno if NA has the same layout) is actually very good and the performance gains would be negligible or even negative

Not the rev 1 & 2, the oem box is really quite restrictive. If you compare them to a rev 3 oem box you can see the difference.

The problem with all airbox replacements is they allow hot engine air into the intake unless you block it off.

Bibbs hit the nail on the head, IMO this is the most important thing when changing the intake system. Getting something that flows more is just gonna flow more hot air unless you address the location etc. Either move it, or better yet sheild it off from the engine bay....cold air box etc.

IMO unless you have a cold air box Id just go for a decent replacement filter in the OEM box...preferably a rev 3 one.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I've got a 45 degree ram pipe pointing down towards the side vents, in a hope that it will avoid some of the heat build up, ( hot air travels upwards etc. ) And an Apexi power intake stuck on the end, I've no idea if this helps, ( i.e. more cold air etc ) I just like sticking bits to my engine that were never meant to be there :yes:

just bought a pipercross from james1760 for my rev2. it seriously does make a huge difference after 3k revs. it isnt just trick of the mind i even took a few mates for a spin and they could tell the power difference, although its not a 'kicking you back in your seat' power increase, its deffinately noticeable. drifts easier off the roundabout, sounds awesome. it sounds like ive put a meaty exhaust on it, and makes a wiked sucking noise when you first plant your foot down. cant stop driving it now :D

glad you like it mate :)

definatly better than stock.

i have been thinking about taking my car to a rolling road with a std filter a pipercross induction and a viper filter to see what gains they will actually produce. just need a decent RR near me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links