Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handling Issues

Avensis wagon

Hi, I'm a newbie. Own a 2001 model Corolla 1.6 vvt-i, looking to buy a new Avensis 1.8 estate. UK citizen living in Finland.

I know the Avensis is of quality build, reliable, quiet, quite refined though not a dazzler. And the power to fuel economy ratio is more than acceptable.

But here in Finland everyone seems to agree that the Avensis is pushed off course all too easily by irregularities in the road suface and cross winds, not to mention having overly sensitive electronic power steering. Too much driver input required while at the same time lacking feedback.

The problem is compounded by our roads -- if you imagine that we drive with metal-studded tyres half the year, damn great grooves are left in the tarmac in summer. They're like tram lines, dragging you in and pushing you out. I've also noticed even UK reviews pointing out that the Avensis is quick to stray off course.

Any comments? Some have said that wheel alignment has fixed the problem.

P.S. Other contenders for me are Mazda 6 2.0 (Good handling, OK ride, reasonable performance and fuel economy), new Octavia (look at the performance of the 2.0 litre and the fuel economy, good handling, but plain inside and no Japanese reliability), Nissan Primera (seen better performing 1.8s and 2.0s in power and fuel econ, ride and handling OK, good price, loads of goodies, distinctive style like the Mazda)

FYI: The Toyota Corolla is Finland's most sold car, and the Avensis is the most sold in its class (Primera second at the moment due to aggressive pricing, Mazda also well respected). At -25 you need reliability -- engine, electrics, door locks, petrol hatches, you name it. Japanese cars might not have the French ride, but nothing in Europe is as reliable. Every taxi driver in the local town had a C5 last year, and now they don't...

All constructive comments appreciated!

Tricky one that.

I'd say that the best recommendation you could get would be from someone over there. Our roads aren't great by a long way, but they aren't usually rutted to excess and it's never down to -25 ( thankfully ).

Out of the cars you mentioned though, I'd have thought that the Octavia would be a decent choice. Less toys than the japanese cars as standard, but a really well built, proven and reliable car.

My 2 Cents anyway !

Rich

If I were you, I'd get a diesel Avensis before the 1.8. The 1.8 isn't a very torquey motor and Toyota makes brilliant diesels and the fuel economy would be stellar, of course.

As for the crosswinds and steering issue, I would suggest a mild suspension kit to lower the car 1" and some wider tires of better quality than OEM. That would have to help some, at the very least it would make the car even more fun to toss around.

The lowered suspension would be out of the question, of course, if you are leasing or only plan to keep the car 1-2 years.

Yep, the Toyotas are very reliable in all extremes, and that counts for a lot over here.

The Octavia is in some ways tempting, but the distance between front and rear axles is 20 cm less than the Avensis (and 10cm less than the Mazda 6), so I wonder about rear leg room. How is it that a shorter car can have so much boot space and still leg room in the back? Apart from that, a great 150 hp 2.0 litre on the Elegance estate I test drove, handled reasonably well (a little numb) and thoroughly kitted out - cruise control, rain radar, cooled glove locker and cubby holes, you name it.

Test drove the 2.0 litre Mazda6 the other day. Great drivabilty, lovely feed back, a pleasure to drive and certainly the best of the cars I mentioned it that respect. BUT, it's not quite the family car as the seats could be nicer (the Octavia's too), engine noise and tyre roar come through quite loudly and the suspension that makes it so nice to drive really makes a passenger's stomach go up and down on bumpy roads. Also, a new model comes out in autumn, which as far as we know has improved noise reduction and a more fuel efficient engine to start, so maybe not the best time to buy.

So, test drove a 1.8 Avensis today. It was roomy, comfortable, quiet. Yep, could be more torque -- I'd rather not have to wait for the revs to climb so high to get it into good acceleration (I thought that was supposed to be an advantage of VVT-i), and when turning corners at low speed in town, not much happened when I put my foot down to drive out in second. But, you know, I'm buying a family car. Agree about the deisel but too pricey over here to buy and run due to heavy environmental tax loaded onto road tax. 2 litre petrol could be an option.

In summary I found the Avensis comfortable, of quality build and with OK performance. But it did have the problem that everyone's talking about over here and highlighted in ll the reviews like those in Top Gear (I don't always listen to Top Gear as they put more effort into sarcastic so-called wit than objectivity, but this time they were right).

Here's the problem. I don't mind the light steering, I don't mind that the equipent level could be better for 35,000 euros. But I do mind that the car is constantly wandering off by itself. On the straight or round corners, you've steered it just how you want and it suddenly changes course a couple of degrees, calling for continual correction. It seems everyone finds it that way and it's pretty outrageous, especially for a car of this class. Some say the fault can be slightly mitigated with wheel alignment and careful tyre pressures a little on the high side. I'm just your average mid-thirties family guy, so it's doubtful that I'll be dropping the suspension (even if the wife would let me!). I'd like to buy the Avensis, but with one of the least pleasant driving experiences for that much money, I'm looking at all the options. Has anyone else here experienced the Avensis as a bit of a wanderer?

Nissan Primera test drive tomorrow! (2 litre petrol). Distinctive Looks, many toys, maybe a halfway decent drive. Worst fuel economy of those mentioned in my first post, but competetively priced. And a proper large family car, whereas the Octavia on the MKIV Golf frame is a small family car somehow looking big -- maybe it's like the TARDIS? How have they done it? If I could just be convinced it really is that big I'd overlook the excess plastics and go for it. A sensible allrounder with great specs.

Anyway guys, thanks for talking to the newbie! Any thoughts on these cars appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links