Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

20,000 Mile Service

pb5

Hi

I've just had my 53 reg T Sport serviced (20,000 mile) by my local Toyota dealer (not sure if I should name them). I was quoted £121 for the service & £30 extra for the brake fluid change (my option). But when I went to pick it up the bill came to £181 :o . I mentioned that I was quoted £151 all in, so they dropped the price to £144 :D (also I winged about charging to fill a full washer bottle). Something about they test the washer system so much it needs topping after :lol: . Yer right.

One or two other things I asked them about was the lift bolt wear issue (how much would it cost to do, to be on the safe side) & the dimming of the lights while the ecu checks the air pump system. They had heard of neither issue :eek:.

May be I should ring Toyota in Huddersfield? They might have more idea from what I've read on here :unsure:.

Pb

:wacko:

One or two other things I asked them about was the lift bolt wear issue (how much would it cost to do, to be on the safe side) & the dimming of the lights while the ecu checks the air pump system.

Pb

What are these issues then,

I've done a forum search on 'lift bolt wear' and 'dimming of the lights while the ecu checks the air pump system' niether of which elicited a result (apart from your post!!!)

Pray tell.........as a t-sport owner I am very interested.

Cheers,

Here is the link to the past lift bolt wear problem.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31638

I know it's 4 pages long but try to bear with it, it could be very important to you.

Member 'CraigR' went to a lot of time and trouble to bring this problem to the attention of fellow owners, I was appalled that a few (thankfully very few) other members had the nerve to try and brush of the problem despite the research, photos and enquires that he had obviously gone to.

Hi

Ive done a lot of work wth Celica owners club & probabley fitted more lift bolts to 190 celica than the rest of the dealers in the UK put together

Normally takes about 1/2hr to replace unbroken bolts

If they have broken its about 5.5hrs

If they are broken though its warranty if under 3yrs/60k

the bolts cost 28p each x2

Headlamps / radio dimming is due to a power drain that the ECu didnt account for when the air pump kicked in

The modified ECU now accounts for this power drop

No other side effects than this occur

Here is the link to the past lift bolt wear problem.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31638

I know it's 4 pages long but try to bear with it, it could be very important to you.

Member 'CraigR' went to a lot of time and trouble to bring this problem to the attention of fellow owners, I was appalled that a few (thankfully very few) other members had the nerve to try and brush of the problem despite the research, photos and enquires that he had obviously gone to.

So I guess within the warranty period I have nothing to be concerned about...

Hi

This is what I copied off this forum a while ago about the dimming lights:

Technical Information

Model Corolla TSport Page 1 of 2 Section: Body Electrical

Model Codes: ZZE123

Subject: Headlights Dimming for less than 1 second

Status., Technical Information

Phenomenon/Symptom:

The customer reports that the headlights, interior light and the combination meter dim for less than 1 second whilst driving.

Cause Of Phenomenon:

During driving the engine ECU periodically cheeks the function of the air pump system. The ECU forces the pump to activate to confirm operation. When the air pump is operated a sudden volt drop occurs and results in the headlight dimming and other associated symptoms

Production Improvement:

The engine ECU software has been revised. The air pump system is no longer checked during normal engine running.

Improvement Effective VIN: T. B. A. Feb,2003

Field Fix:

Replace the engine ECU for the counter measure part.

NOTE: It is normal for the lights to dim slightly when other electrical loads draw current from the charging circuit. This ECU is for the specific symptoms indicated above ONLY.

Part No.

Part Name Before Countermeasure After Countermeasure

Engine ECU 89666-02090 89666-02091

Note: The above part number information details ONLY the enhanced parts. Additional parts may be required depending upon individual circumstances.

Ref: TS3?114 Sept 2003

PB

Hi

I've just had my 53 reg T Sport serviced (20,000 mile) by my local Toyota dealer (not sure if I should name them). I was quoted £121 for the service & £30 extra for the brake fluid change (my option). But when I went to pick it up the bill came to £181  :o . I mentioned that I was quoted £151 all in, so they dropped the price to £144  :D  (also I winged about charging to fill a full washer bottle). Something about they test the washer system so much it needs topping after  :lol: . Yer right.

One or two other things I asked them about was the lift bolt wear issue (how much would it cost to do, to be on the safe side) & the dimming of the lights while the ecu checks the air pump system. They had heard of neither issue  :eek:.

May be I should ring Toyota in Huddersfield? They might have more idea from what I've read on here  :unsure:.

Pb

Thats better then what i was quoted from a dealership in cardiff, for a 20,000 mile service they wanted about £160 for the main service and if i wanted my brake fluid changed, then it was going to be an extra £50 on top. :ffs:

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

Tad odd one, but if a revised part is shown to be known, as is in this case, go in, explain the symptoms of severly dimmed instruments and if they can investigate.

If it's know and the TOTS system we use shows it up, they will simply advise you to bring it back for an under warranty replacement :)

Dealers won't just do work from knowledge off the net, sometimes they should but they just won't as Toyota GB are very very strict with dealerships and sometimes will NOT payout for work carried out under warranty that isn't 100% needed.

Dodgy but true!

Hi

I've just had my 53 reg T Sport serviced (20,000 mile) by my local Toyota dealer (not sure if I should name them). I was quoted £121 for the service & £30 extra for the brake fluid change (my option). But when I went to pick it up the bill came to £181  :o . I mentioned that I was quoted £151 all in, so they dropped the price to £144  :D  (also I winged about charging to fill a full washer bottle). Something about they test the washer system so much it needs topping after  :lol: . Yer right.

One or two other things I asked them about was the lift bolt wear issue (how much would it cost to do, to be on the safe side) & the dimming of the lights while the ecu checks the air pump system. They had heard of neither issue  :eek:.

May be I should ring Toyota in Huddersfield? They might have more idea from what I've read on here  :unsure:.

Pb

Sounds about right for a service with the main dealer - if not pretty good.

a couple of years ago my M-Reg Rev3 MR2 went in for a service. I was quoted £80 all in. Got a call saying all discs and pads needed doing. I told them to do only the rears (they were the worst) and the quoted me another £120 for the honour. When I went to collect the car they presented me with a bill for £380 :o

I argued it till I was blue in the face but they refused to hand my keys back unless I paid :ffs:

It was the last time any of my cars ever went back to a main dealer for servicing :censor:

System~G Posted Today, 06:38 AM

a couple of years ago my M-Reg Rev3 MR2 went in for a service. I was quoted £80 all in. Got a call saying all discs and pads needed doing. I told them to do only the rears (they were the worst) and the quoted me another £120 for the honour. When I went to collect the car they presented me with a bill for £380 

I argued it till I was blue in the face but they refused to hand my keys back unless I paid 

It was the last time any of my cars ever went back to a main dealer for servicing

:yes: This is exactly what 'consumer' programmes on TV are raving on about,

Main dealers are now behaving like crooked 'Arther Daley' Garages of old.

Are Toyota Huddersfield pretty good on servicing then? I might take mine there when the time comes.

Are Toyota Huddersfield pretty good on servicing then? I might take mine there when the time comes.

Indeed thats where Shutty's crew will look after you :D

Indeed thats where Shutty's crew will look after you :D

:D ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links