Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1991 Mr2 T-bar, Lsd Or Not?

dan007004

Hi, I am new to the forum and I am going to buy a 1991-93 mr2 t-bar. I am just wondering

1. what is reliability like? - any known things to look out for when buying

2. do t-bars mk2's or mk1's 2.0 litre t-bars have limited slip diffs? - whats handling like?

3.what kind of bhp are t-bars - the one i will get is a non turbo, uk one - because I am only 20 and will pay around 460 tpft a year.

cheers, sorry if this type of question has been posted before. I searched but couldn't find one

dan

1) Reliability is excellent for most MR2's provided they have been looked after, which most are. Remember they are Japanese.

2) I don't think any of the early MR2's had LSD's, although it might have been a rare option. These cars handle very well, just make sure you give yourself time to get used to RWD and mid-engine. T-bars have slightly less rigidity than tin tops but not really noticeable.

3) Bhp is the same whether it's a T-bar or not as far as I know, non-turbo's have 145-175bhp depending on the year. One of the less common models only had about 115bhp which can be identified as having no spoiler.

Hope that helps.

1989-1993 UK GTi-16 cars either sunroof of T-Bar are 158bhp

if it isn't badged GTi-16 is doesn't have the 3SGE engine and its only got 112bhp carina E engine. None at this age would have an LSD.

if it isn't badged GTi-16 is doesn't have the 3SGE engine and its only got 112bhp carina E engine.  None at this age would have an LSD.

I beg to Differ !!! My 1992 Turbo t-bar has an LSD..

It also has Traction control, Cruise Control, premium sound and every other possible option available.. I think the Jap that bought it just ticked every box...

It also has Traction control, Cruise Control, premium sound and every other possible option available.. I think the Jap that bought it just ticked every box...

AFAIA your right, it was an option on both turbo & Na versions of the MR2. Most won't have it but as mentioned sometimes the tick the lsd box when ordering them :)

Again AFAIA it isn't even standard on the rev 3 upwards however most did have it, something like 80% of them I think.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

if it isn't badged GTi-16 is doesn't have the 3SGE engine and its only got 112bhp carina E engine.  None at this age would have an LSD.

Where in my comment did i mention turbos??

My rev2 turbo has LSD as did all GT cars GT-S was option, we are talking about UK normally aspirated cars. They didn't have LSD's untill rev3.

put it in neutral, hand brake off, jack the back up wheels off the ground and rotate one, the other if you have a LSD will rotate the same way, if it goes the opposite you don't have an LSD.

put it in neutral, hand brake off, jack the back up wheels off the ground and rotate one, the other if you have a LSD will rotate the same way, if it goes the opposite you don't have an LSD.

I thought the MR2 use's a viscous lsd??

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Cheers, will give that a go.

Hope it's not, thought they were only in tubbies and put a slick 50 gearbox treatment in there ignoring the warning on the label saying not suitable for LSD boxes :(

Cheers, will give that a go.

Hope it's not, thought they were only in tubbies and put a slick 50 gearbox treatment in there ignoring the warning on the label saying not suitable for LSD boxes :(

Ok this: I thought the MR2 use's a viscous lsd??

Was more of a hint than a question as I already know the answer......seems I will need to just spell it out.

Basicly AFAIA the OEM system is a viscous coupling. When one wheel starts to slip at a great enough rate, the viscous coupling will begin to apply torque to the other wheel. You will NOT generate enough energy rotating one wheel by hand to "energize" the coupling.

Also another common way:

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example, A/TM:- 735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Even Fensport (seem to be 3sgte/mr2/gt-4 experts in your part of the world) say that jacking it up and turning a wheel isn't a good way to test for an lsd.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Also another common way:

To verify if your car has a LSD, check the vehicle identification plate on the inside of front bonnet. There are a number of codes given there, including the transmission type, whose code starts with the sequence "A/TM"

For example, A/TM:- 735/E153

If the last digit before the /E153 is a '3' or a '5' then the car has a LSD - therefore in the example above it does. 

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Well I guess I'll try that then, cheers Kiwi :thumbsup: