Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air-con Redirected To Induction Kit?

msherry21

Hi all, Just a quickie,

Looking to make my car more of a track car, rip out the interior etc remove air-con and so on.

Then goto thinking about keeping the air-con but redirecting it to the induction kit, to blow ice cool air at the filter, would this make a big difference in these "Summer months"? would it be worth the hassle? what sort of difference would it make to performance?

Could have an aluminium box/heat shield made to aid cooling.

any opinions appreciated,

thanks,

Michael.

sounds very good in theory.

although only concern I would have is would air con provide enough airflow at higher revs?

Would like to see it done tho ;)

Hi all, Just a quickie,

Looking to make my car more of a track car, rip out the interior etc remove air-con and so on.

Then goto thinking about keeping the air-con but redirecting it to the induction kit, to blow ice cool air at the filter, would this make a big difference in these "Summer months"? would it be worth the hassle? what sort of difference would it make to performance?

Could have an aluminium box/heat shield made to aid cooling.

any opinions appreciated,

thanks,

Michael.

Dont forget that driving your air con compressor takes power, you might gain a small amount of BHP but it could be lost driving the air con. If you do it, let us know how it turns out.

It wont work. Or at least not in the configuration you have in mind. Due to the fact that the parasitic losses of the AC system far outwiegh the additional power it would generate, you will be slower. Also the system will be struggling to supply air when you need it, as the AC system will never be able to keep up with the demands of a 2 litre turbo engine at wide open throttle.

Interestingly though there is potential in the idea, if modified slightly...

Ford USA were playing with a new idea on the F150 Lightning concept pickup truck..

Not satisfied with 500bhp and 500ft/lbs, they were using the air con system to chill a small tank of refrigerant down to just below 0DegC. A light on the dash indicates when the tank is ready, and when you hit wide open throttle, it dumped the refrigerant through the intercooler, giving a 50bhp booost for about 30-40 seconds. The system would then take about 2 minutes to recharge.

A slightly cheaper method woudl be this:

Cryogenic Intake

yeah i agree, for any minimal power it would increase by would probably be sapped straight back by the pump

AC typically drags 10% of engine power!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links