Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mg Rover

Fidgits

UNGRATEFUL :censor:

Just listening to the radio - and hearing how the goverment is spending £6.5million of tax payers money to pay the MG Rover workers wages for another week...

and they cut in a quote from a worker

"What good does one week do us - they might as well have sent us home"

Well if you dont :censor: want the money - give it back so the goverment can spend it in a hosptial or something! :ffs:

And...........What are the Conservatives up to I wonder - trying to buy the votes of the disgruntled Rover workers with False promises..........

If the unions and the workers had not insisted on striking every 5 mins in the 70s, and if they had not built such crap carsfrom then untill now.... maybe there still would bea rover!!

I personally don't care, the sooner its dead and burried the better! Maybe then we can stop having to hear about it!!!

I agree though, I don't pay my taxes so Rover's rent-a-tards can have more money! I have been made redundant, I can't see the goverment paying my wages!

well, from more info, it seems the £6.5 million is to pay for the 6000 workers for the week while they try and 'save' (yeah right) the company..

Now, by my maths, that makes an average of £1000 per worker, per week... which comes out to an average salary of about £50 grand a year!

And as Charlie says, perhaps if they didnt strike so often, and perhaps had a little pride in what they were building (Have you ever heard of a Japanese 'Friday car') then perhaps they wouldn't be here today...

I'm not arguing that BMW had a lot to do with the current state, but its down to their (which unfortunatly is indicitive of a large proportion of England) attitude that has caused this...

Dont get me wrong, I know a majority of Brits are hard working, but as I'm sure most people here will agree, the rise in chavs, and just generally, bums living on benifits appears to be at an all-time high...

I mean, Alfa in the early 90's was days away from going bust - but they pulled it back and even though they have a bad reliability reputation, starting building cars people wanted to buy, and have brought themselves back from the brink...

My dad said that in the 70s british people say Rover cars are the best and japanese cars were crap lol, look who's going down now :lol:

although, on the flip side of all this doom and gloom...

If your looking to buy a cheap new car - get your butt to a Rover dealer...

Why?

Because the liquidators will be chasing them to pay for any stock they have - so the dealers will be needing to shift some stock, and due to the fact whos going to buy a car without warranty, or even a car company left...

i duno! i heard, but not good with that stuff! just wasnt sure if it meant it was closing down!

so what happens to all the unsold new mg cars and rover cars?

although, on the flip side of all this doom and gloom...

If your looking to buy a cheap new car - get your butt to a Rover dealer...

Why?

Because the liquidators will be chasing them to pay for any stock they have - so the dealers will be needing to shift some stock, and due to the fact whos going to buy a car without warranty, or even a car company left...

hmmm wonder if I can get one of the mg xpower Sv 4.6 for the price of a rover 25 :lol::lol:

"What about getting parts?" I hear you cry...

-Not a problem... Places like halfrauds sell most wearable parts, if they don't, pattern part companies like blueprint will...

I had a slight concern as my future track car will have a rover engine... I then remembered the plethora of companies selling parts for rover V8s... :D

Not a problem!

The thing is, I looked at the MG 75 V8 last year, but as they wanted a similar price to a S4, i walked away...

I wonder how much I could pick one up for now?

Yeah, MG Rover has all but collapsed. The idea of the government cash injection is to keep the company afloat while negotiations start/continue with various parties interested in buying in/taking over. One week might actually make a difference between life and death.

£6.5 million isn't that much on the wider scale, and it's a lot cheaper than paying out on unemployment/other resultant social problems, so it's worth the risk. It also means that MG Rover's parts suppliers -- some of which have supplied goods in excess of £1 million without receiving payment -- also won't have to collapse and put their own people out on the streets. The knock-on effects could be serious.

I'd guess that some sort of deal will be reached, but it's not as if MG Rover has much to bargain with. I suppose that people must be buying cars made by MG Rover, otherwise they wouldn't want to keep producing them. Looks like the issue is more profitability than demand. That said, I can't imagine who would want to buy one. Innovation? Performance? Value for money? Anyone?

The thing is, I looked at the MG 75 V8 last year, but as they wanted a similar price to a S4, i walked away...

I wonder how much I could pick one up for now?

Does that have "the" rover V8, or is it a a yank block??? (Yes I know, the rover V8 was a buick sourced engine :P)

Its the V8 from the Mustang ;) only 260bhp buy oogles of Torque - oh, and not to mention more tuning options than you can shake a stick at!

If the unions and the workers had not insisted on striking every 5 mins in the 70s, and if they had not built such crap carsfrom then untill now.... maybe there still would bea  rover!!

I personally don't care, the sooner its dead and burried the better! Maybe then we can stop having to hear about it!!!

I agree though, I don't pay my taxes so Rover's rent-a-tards can have more money! I have been made redundant, I can't see the goverment paying my wages!

Snap!

I was made redundant in January.

The government wants to know the far end of a f@rt and which way the stink goes before they pay me my £55 a week, I've worked since I was 15 and I'm now 54, it would be nice if they subsidised my old wage (I would even be grateful if it was for just one week!).

Still look on the bright side, all the taxes I've paid during my working life will go to paying the ungrateful workers at MG! :angry:

IMO the only reason the government is "bailing out" MG Rover with this cash injection is because its election day next month - Labours main electoral issue is "the economy" - if they arent seen to help then the public will think that they are talking out of their bums (even though thats all most politicians do anyway!)

I reckon if there was no election looming, that the government wouldnt even bother!

Paying a load of lazy half wits with tax payers money while pensioners die on hospital trollies is going to help them win how exatly????

Some statistic I read today, on average per worker nissan produced 300+ cars... MG Rover managed 14......

What you need to bear in mind is that the area around there has a lot of marginal seats in parliament. By seeming to be helping the government will be hoping to gain extra votes in order to win those seats.

Did you also hear on the news that the workers were sent home on FULL pay until further notice.

Its a slightly different situation but a couple of years ago when Vauxhall shut the factory here in Luton the government didn't stump up cash to stop that.

Maybe it's a bit unfair to call all the workers lazy. If they're not producing much it's pehaps more to do with the process and its management.

(no, I don't work there :thumbsup: )

I mean, surely MG Rover hasn't employed Britain's 6,000 most lazy workers? And surely we're not all lazy by nature? :o

It's got to come down to inefficiency, starting from the car design, materials and parts sourcing, production design, bad management etc. The Avensis and Primera are made in the UK, and they're doing fine with Britts on the production line. The guys building the things turn up and do the job... because that's their job. Masterminding the thing is someone else's job, and at MG Rover. he or she and co. haven't done it well, and it seems we excel at that. A huge domestic market all too willing to buy their wares and, again, they haven't come up with the goods.

:angry: Might have helped if the directors hadnt take x million out for themselves earlier on this year........