Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning Me 4efe Starlet

thunderpants

just wondering what the easiest way to increase hp is:

Torn between a piper cam but this would need fueling changes no?

exhaust manifold would be good too but where to find?

was gunna buy a hks hiper system for the car, nice note and get power flow to make a decat pipe to connect it to the manifold but this is expensive

so many plans.... . :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riko666

• geocool69

• Starlet_SR_MAN14C

• nrgizerbunny

thanks a lot really helped 4efe intake manifold from corolla looks good too! 5ef he cams just fit right in? or differant fuelling etc needed? any more info would be great.

will the 5efhe cams fit into a 4efte and would they serve any advantage? i think ill just give up on the 5efhe idea cause its a lot more work......actually, im still undecided, d'oh :unsure:

what i'm about to say may not be too popular but i'll say it anyway.

I would save your money and wait until you can buy something more powerful. you can tune a 1.3 74hp engine all you like but the amount you spend you won't get back :( save money and buy a glanza

if you chuck mega bucks at it its not going to get much beyond 100hp and unless your going to keep the car for ages, it doesnt make economic sense.

best mods i think you can do is to file the exhaust and inlet manifolds down, you'll get less turbulent airflow into the cylinder and therefore higher pressure, takes time, costs nothing but performance is noticable.

also a decent air filter, oil and spark plugs. induction kit is only worth the hassle if you've got a decent cold air feed. even then with these modest modifications you'll not be on much more than 80-83hp MAX :(

What sort of money are you looking to spend on the car?

N/A tuning verses turbo tuning is always more expense for less gain.

If you want to make this car go faster, you could either:-

a) spend money on the 75bhp 4e-fe for small gain

B) spend money on the 108bhp 5E-FHE 1500cc engine

c) spend money on the 133bhp 4E-FTE 1300cc turbo engine

d) or spend an awful lot more on something radical!

both options b and c are both as they come in standard specification...

option c) is capable of taking an awful lot more power before internals need changing.

Sum real good pointers above.

I take it the most bhp is available from a 4efte then yeh?

Also if you go to buy a 4efte engine is it available with and without turbo?

Are the 5efhe cams able to be put in either 4efe and 4efte?

Im going to tune my 4efe with a proper exhaust and manifold with an apexi induction kit perhaps and just do other stuff to the car. then 2-3 years down the line shuv a turbo into it wot wud be the best to go for?

um, the 4e-fTe (the big T is a hint) means that its turbo'd....in basics its the turbo'd version of the 4efe.

ive heard that you can put the cams in, but they wont give too much of a benefit to the 4efe...neither in the 4efte. you must consider this, start with a small engine, and any gains will be minimal...if you have the 4efe and put on a "proper" exhaust (in this case we shall say full length from headers, sports cat, sports downpipe, sports cat-back) and put on the apexi filter, i doubt you'll see a gain of more than 10hp...so thats 93hp...and then if you "shove" a turbo on, i doubt itd make an extra 40hp....unless you've reinforced the block to cope with boost (as the 4efe isnt built for turboing) and you up the boost...at which point itd have been better to go for the 4efte which has 133-135hp (depending on the year) as is...

I was thinkin why not get a glanza insted of going to all the trouble of fitting a turbo to 4efe. but toby took me for a ride in his SR turbo and oh my god i can see why he wanted it turbo'd so bad. it goes like **** off a shovel and has more to be done to it. if i had mega bucks id either go 4 the glanza v or just buy another car. i think either is gonna happen in the nxt few months so watch this space for a SR for sale. :(

How did Toby convert his sr to a turbo,? what all is done to it? what bhp is it at?

He added the turbo bits to his 4efe. but at the mo its got a top intercooler so gotta be careful because there is no cool air. theres no bonent vent. its runnin about 8bar he said. i didn't ask loadsa questions i was kinda busy fixing me mini-moto. but i'll ask him wen i see him nxt and put it up on the forum or i'll get him to put it up. it had a real smooth power delivery. in the end it'll feel worth the effort.

well i think i remember him sayin the turbo parts were added. i got a crap memory. we got 3 black SR's at the same uni. i confused who's said wat about the others car.

itd be better to just transplant the 4efte. toby probably put the ct9 turbo (the turbo on the 4efte) onto the 4efe....but you'd be better with a 4efte as its already suited for boosting whereas with a 4efe (if intending to run higher boost) you'll need to get new pistons, conrods etc....

looks like i'll drop a 4efte engine then into the sr down the line in a few years. So is it better than a 5efhe? If i change the exhasut now on the engine will it be able to be sued with the 4efte in a few years time?

you cant say if an engine is better than another on basis of power. depends on preferences really. i havent driven either engines but i mean for example, if you prefer revvy engines that require you to drive vigorously to get any performance out if it then the n/a 5efhe is your choice, if on the other hand you prefer the " sea of mid range power " and the masses of torque, you get in a turbo, go for the 4efte. and remember, the 5efhe has 108hp whereas the the 4efte has 133-135hp

and no, i doubt the exhausts would be useful on both. on an n/a car you usually have to keep the exhaust diameter to not too big over stock as you need back pressure, whereas in turbo'd cars you can do with going slightly bigger as the increased speed and volume of the exhaust gases negates the need for backpressure (that and it can damage the turbo if there's too much, damaging the bearings due to returning air).

for an n/a car, there is no need to go over 2.25" piping all the way through (2.0" is probably more suitable.....and do NOT stick one of those chavvy "straight through " 5" back boxes...theyre ridiculous)....whereas in a turbo you can go upto 2.5" - 3.0" all the way through...

yeah id've thought that too...it wouldnt make sense to make a 4efe turbo-worthy then turbo it as you could drop in the 4efte for less money in the long run...

but you'd be better with a 4efte as its already suited for boosting whereas with a 4efe (if intending to run higher boost) you'll need to get new pistons, conrods etc....

i totaly disagree with what your saying reko bud.

have you ever heard of a turbo 4efe letting go?

nither have i

dale form bradedlines is only using one of his tdo4 turbo kits(cheep as chips) on a stock 4efe and its producing 180bhp at the flywheel.. which is more than what a stock ct9 would produce.

his aim is to disprove this theory that the normal 4efe engine is week.

he is aiming for 220whp which is totaly achieveable. guys in the u.s have turboed the 5efe with decent figures aswell

it wouldnt make sense to make a 4efe turbo-worthy then turbo it as you could drop in the 4efte for less money in the long run...

and i think thats poopoo friend

these turbo kits are alot cheaper baught and installed then sorcing a 4efte plus fitting.

plus they already come with a reprogramable ecu and everything else needed to set a 4efe up with a fine tune.

so for the price of a 4efte conversion you only have 135bhp.......... .......then spend that again to get decent figures mainly becasue you have jack sh*t and the ct9 has a bad asma problem.

wheres start with a 4efe turbo kit...... ......produce more power straight away... then the only thing holding you back from producing mega scooby slaying bhp are some forged pistons.

you might be guessing what im going for with my fhe now :ph34r:

you might be guessing what im going for with my fhe now

where do you get these turbo kits from bud?

may have to invest in one for my engine...

Rich.

nrgizer wrote

I would save your money and wait until you can buy something more powerful. you can tune a 1.3 74hp engine all you like but the amount you spend you won't get back  save money and buy a glanza

if you chuck mega bucks at it its not going to get much beyond 100hp and unless your going to keep the car for ages, it doesnt make economic sense.

i totaly disagree with you there bud.

some people are limited as to what they can do.

some versions of 4efe came standard with 100bhp so there is alot of scope to bring the standard 4efe(75) up to that 100bhp through the use of very cheep interhcangable parts. like inlet manifold...plug leads ect.

t

sorry scutch...missed you there.

my plan is to get spomething done before the bansai thrash.

these turbo kits retail for just shi of a grand and you get

injectors

rrfpr

microteck ecu

manifold

hoses, clamps and filters ect.

you do need to source a mitsi tdo4 but there are loads of scooby forums where you could find one.

ill get specs and pictures and post them up on extreem ep bud :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links