Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bore Measurment Cost?oil Consumption

mavrik2k3

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any other 1.8 vvt owners are going thru the process of a Toyota oil consumption test at the moment ... at the moment i am :( having done two 1 litre test's and being topped up and the mileage checked at Toyota main dealer, the results will be worked out and if they feel it has a problem they will start the process of the bore measurment .....

Ok this is the nitty gritty ....when they do the bore measurment they of course will have to strip the engine down ,if there measurment is not within there scale of "needs work?" they charge YOU to put it back together again, while i was at the Toyota dealer they ask you to sign a authorization form for the work to be done pending there results ,,,HOW MUCH ???? hate to think, they told us they had two go thru the process ,,,one went thru and had a new engine put in to no cost to the customer the other had to pay for it ,

is it worth the risk if the car is "borderline" ? ie :950 miles to 1 litre.

is it worth waiting for the engine to use more oil per 1,000 miles to be sure of the results being in my favour?

any advise would be great ,,,, engine # blacklist would be very usefull.

cheers

I have same problem with our avensis was quoted about £3000 for parts and labour.Also told engine is warranted for 5 years.Toyota told me on phone that as long as i have complete service history they would come up with an agreement for paying.Here's hoping.Will keep you posted

Lots of previous posts on this problem. Basically all dealers and Toyota are well aware of this problem with the 1.8 VVTi (not the 2.0).Had new short engine installed (free) last year myself. Helps to have dealer on your side so you need to make it clear that you know this has been accepted as a problem by Toyota. Tell the dealer to get " Pre authorisation " from Toyota for the work and do not commit to pay anything. Deal with the Service Manager, not an underling. What you have had so far is the standard line to see if they can get away with it. When my oil consumption test was done and showed 800 miles/ litre they didn`t even bother examining and got a new short engine from Toyota within days. I found it helped to say I knew all the history of this problem from the Toyota Owners Club site.

I have just had an oil check from my local toyota garage and they came up with my car doing 700mls over 1300miles. They just topped it up again and said it was in toyota specs and told me to come back in 6 months, after I had said that's a lot of oil to use over 1300miles. I have now done another 100miles and am going to check this weekend. I shall keep you posted.

Is it worth contacting watchdog, as Peaguot 307 and 406 drivers had some joy.

I have just had an oil check from my local toyota garage and they came up with my car doing 700mls over 1300miles.  They just topped it up again and said it was in toyota specs and told me to come back in 6 months, after I had said that's a lot of oil to use over 1300miles.  I have now done another 100miles and am going to check this weekend.  I shall keep you posted. 

Is it worth contacting watchdog, as Peaguot 307 and 406 drivers had some joy.

Yes seems the way to go is with the pre-authorization form, The staff were very helpfull and polite ,,but if it came down to paying for a new engine ,i'm sure they would'nt seem as nice <_< i think when they do return the call regarding the results ,that will the time to arrange a meeting with the organ grinder and not the monkey :D will keep you posted of what happens

cheers

It's all down to your local main dealer whether or not you get a new short engine or not with or without having to go through a barrage of tests & monitoring your oil usage over various periods of time.

If your main dealership is behind you - you will get the free short engine replacement ! Get them on your side - my local Service Manager insists the engine should not use ANY oil and I am sure we all agree with him.

He has offered to back me all the way.

Hi All,

I`m currently burning around 1 litre in 7,000 miles which doesnt seem alot compared to the other threads but when I look at my spark plugs they are jet black and one has oil on it! Correct me if I`m wrong but all this oil burning must be having an adverse effect on the Catlytic converter on the exhaust which themselves must cost a fair packet!!

Any oil burning is BAD!!!

Hi All,

I`m currently burning around 1 litre in 7,000 miles which doesnt seem alot compared to the other threads but when I look at my spark plugs they are jet black and one has oil on it! Correct me if I`m wrong but all this oil burning must be having an adverse effect on the Catlytic converter on the exhaust which themselves must cost a fair packet!!

Any oil burning is BAD!!!

As far as I understand, definately will have a detrimental ewffect on the Cat.

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any other 1.8 vvt owners are going thru the process of a Toyota oil consumption test at the moment ... at the moment  i am :( having done two 1 litre test's and being topped up and the mileage checked at Toyota main dealer,  the results will be worked out and if they feel it has a problem they will start the process of the bore measurment .....

Ok this is the nitty gritty ....when they do the bore measurment they of course will have to strip the engine down ,if there measurment is not within there scale of "needs work?" they charge YOU to put it back together again, while i was at the Toyota dealer they ask you  to sign a authorization form for the work to be done pending there results ,,,HOW MUCH ???? hate to think, they told us they had two go thru the process ,,,one went thru and had a new engine put in to no cost to the customer the other had to pay for it ,

is it worth the risk if the car is "borderline" ?  ie :950 miles to 1 litre.

is it worth waiting for the engine to use more oil per 1,000 miles to be sure of the results being in my favour?

any advise would be great ,,,, engine # blacklist would be very usefull.

cheers

i have just had a new short engine fitted by Ron Brookes at Ilkeston courtsey of Toyota. I kept reporting the oil every few services until last time it was found to be using 2litres in a 1400mile run. There were no quibles at this point and the engine was swapped. i was never told about any risk to me financially if the bore check was carried out and found to be Ok. They just did the work :)

i have just had a new short engine fitted by Ron Brookes at Ilkeston courtsey of Toyota. I kept reporting the oil every few services until last time it was found to be using 2litres in a 1400mile run. There were no quibles at this point and the engine was swapped. i was never told about any risk to me financially if the bore check was carried out and found to be Ok. They just did the work :)

Cheers for info ...seems like a few of the Toyota garages ,have differant ways of dealing with this,

Would differant styles of driving make it use more oil?

at the moment the car is doing school runs and a a few short runs ,so not getting that hot for long periods of time. would it use more on a long run?

i want to go armed with as much info as possible when i go to toyota next time

Hi quick question: I'm considering buying a 2 litre jobby, all but signed the papers. From the above posts, does this mean that it shouldn't suffer from the oil problem that everyone seems to associate only with the 1.8?

Hi quick question: I'm considering buying a 2 litre jobby, all but signed the papers. From the above posts, does this mean that it shouldn't suffer from the oil problem that everyone seems to associate only with the 1.8?

I understand you should be okay with the 2.0ltr - my dealer tells me the way to see if the 1.8 VVTI is using alot of oil is continually use it on motorway runs - seems to show the problem up more than driving around town.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

how are people getting on with bore measurement tests?

Have just been told by local dealer that I need to go through this test for a chance to get the short engine replaced FOC. Worrying aspect is that I have been quoted nearly £1300 to strip and rebuild engine if the bore measurement is not in my favour! :o So a risk that I might be paying over a grand for absolutely nothing. I just can't accept that. Has anyone taken any legal advice on this issue ? Does anyone know what the limits are on the bore measurement? I'm wondering about getting it independently checked first at a fraction of the cost, so I'll at least know whether to bother with the maindealer test. Alternatively, does anyone have any idea of the cost of a shortblock, either new or from a write-off etc ?

TM

I use a excel document to record how much oil is added at what mileage, date, etc. The formulas in the document then work out how much oil it is consuming.

You need to keep this record. If the consumption is less than 800 miles per litre of oil, then the bore measurement will confirm a new short engine is required.

I use this document to show the dealer, so they make the judgement.

:thumbsup:

Hi Starensis,

presumably this is because the limit is 1000miles/litre, and anything just under this might be a grey area. By the the time you get to 800miles/litre you will definately get a favourable result ? I am already close to 800 miles/litre. Any idea if the consumption likely to get worse, and at what sort of rate?

Hi Starensis,

presumably this is because the limit is 1000miles/litre, and anything just under this might be a grey area.  By the the time you get to 800miles/litre you will definately get a favourable result ?  I am already close to 800 miles/litre.  Any idea if the consumption likely to get worse, and at what sort of rate?

If you read your owners manual it states 1 litre per 1000Km's is normal. Therefore, you need to make sure it is using 1 litre every 800 miles or less.

I still recommend you record it all & let Toyota make the decision on whether they strip it down. Alternatively, ask them to check it every couple of weeks & record all the info for you. This way the ball is entirely in their court.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links