Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E 1.8 Lean Burn

tivoli pete

:help:

My 1996 Carina E 1.8 auto with 7AFE engine starts and runs very well normally, but recently the engine will sit at idle and gradually drop in revs until it misfires and then revs up to about 1000 rpm before dropping down again. The whole cycle repeats itself over and over in a surging cycle.

Two things I have noticed are that:

1. If the transmission is engaged, and is just slipping on the viscous coupling - loading the engine slightly, the idle at junctions is smooth and constant. Off load, the problem is evident.

2. When driving at about 30 or 40MPH in slow constant speed situations, your accelerator foot tends to hover lightly to keep the lower speed constant. The auto box is usually in high ratio on the flat, there is a feeling of a sort of on-off with the power delivery - it feels just like older cars with rear wheel drive when the universal joints in the prop shaft are worn. That sort of backlash feeling. If I press the accelerator for more speed, then the power is delivered smoothly. It only seems to happen when trying to maintain a constant speed where the throttle valve must be almost closed.

I know there are all these valves and emission control gadgets on these cars, but can anyone point me to the most likely cause?

Thanks,

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Try cleaning the throttle body and squirting some wd40 or redex in the intake to clean up the injectors.

Try cleaning the throttle body and squirting some wd40 or redex in the intake to clean up the injectors.

Interesting! The car recently failed the MOT due to sky high emissions. The solution was to pour some industrial strength fuel cleaner in to the fuel system and blast the car up and down the motorway. This did make it pass the MOT, but maybe it has caused a blockage in the throttle body.

Where exactly in the throttle assembly do I squirt the WD40?

Cheers,

Pete.

take the air filter box lid off and the connecting rubber tube leads to the throttle body. This also contains the butterfly to which your accelerator cable is connected to. Undo the large jubilee clip and place the whole intake assembly aside. start the car. Careful not to place your hand or any article over the throttle opening as there is huge suction. Just spray in the throttle body. You will see a small opening about 1 inch in at the bottom of the intake. this leads to the idle speed control valve which may be sticking. A little wd40 in here will help.

By the way, the spark plugs are not the standard platinum type. They are Champion EON 2 or 1 I think? Could that also be a cause of this problem?

Pete.

I tried the WD40 in the throttle body, but sadly, that hasn't made any difference. I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked for air leaks. R there any hissing noises in the intake, which would indicate vacuum loss? Check all clips are vtight.