Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Rattle On Acceleration

tivoli pete

I have heard this rattling noise on loads of Carina E cars like mine. It sounds a bit like pinking, and is most noticeable when cold and the engine is loaded. Sometimes it will also make this noise when idling off load.

On my car I thought it was the aircon compressor belt tensioner, a sort of jockey wheel. Changing that cured the noise for about a week, then it started again.

I eventually traced the noise to the accesory drive belt as it drives the alternator and water pump. What seems to happen, is that when the ribbed belt wears down, the material it is made of becomes hard. What then happens is that the longest run of the belt from the alternator pulley to the crank pulley begins to oscillate. It is this "slapping" of the crank pulley that gives the metallic sound. It can get really loud in extreme cases.

Just change the belt for a good quality replacement, and enjoy the silence!

Pete.

I have heard this rattling noise on loads of Carina E cars like mine. It sounds a bit like pinking, and is most noticeable when cold and the engine is loaded. Sometimes it will also make this noise when idling off load.

On my car I thought it was the aircon compressor belt tensioner, a sort of jockey wheel. Changing that cured the noise for about a week, then it started again.

I eventually traced the noise to the accesory drive belt as it drives the alternator and water pump. What seems to happen, is that when the ribbed belt wears down, the material it is made of becomes hard. What then happens is that the longest run of the belt from the alternator pulley to the crank pulley begins to oscillate. It is this "slapping" of the crank pulley that gives the metallic sound. It can get really loud in extreme cases.

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

I'll give that a try. I could do with some of that silence.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I have just removed the alternator belt, inspected it, decided it was in good condition, re-installed and tensioned it. Lo and behold, rattle has completely disappeared. Lovely.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Nice One, This wierd noise has been driving me crazy for over 12 months & scratching my head, if it fixes it i'll buy you a pint (or two!).

Dave.

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links