Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4e-fe To 4e-fte

Panzerbjorn

Lo all,

I was talking to some people 'in the know' and they seemed to think it would be possible to attach the turbo from a 1.3 Starlet GT Turbo to the 1.3 engine in my Corolla.

Now they are both 1.3 16v and the engine code seems to be the same other than the 'T' which I assume stands for Turbo ;)

Does anyone know if it has been/can be done. does the manifold come streight off of the Starlet and onto the 'rolla engine? what about other bits that would need to be swapped?

Cheers all!

Panzer

I think you may find the internals of the 'Turbo'd' engine will be stronger (I know this is so with Supercharged versions).

Also your ECU/loom may not be applicable.

Its not neccesarily that the internals have to be stronger - the super charged internals arent any stronger than the n/a engines. The difference between n/a and forced induction engines are that forced induction engines run a much lower compression ratio to cope with the boost and prevent detonation. For example the small port 4a-ge engine runs 10.3-1 compression ratio and the 4a-gze engine runs 8.9-1 compression ratio.

If you were to turbo your engine you would either need to put a thicker head gasket in (not recommended as they are often a 'weak link') or go for the starlet turbo pistons and fit them.

If you really wanted to you could probably turbo you engine as it is but you would be limited to about a max of 6psi and still i would be warey.

Hope this helps

Nathan

Thanks for the info lads :D

Nathan, if I was to change the pistons I wouldn't need to change the Head Gasket? Would it be wise to uprate to HG anyway (not thicker just uprated).

Cheers again!

Panzer

If your thinkin about changing the pistons you will need to have the block honed and matched to the pistons in an ideal world. You could, if the new pisonts were just std size do a straight swap with new rings but you would have to take the head off to do it which would mean new head gasket and bolts anyway. I dont see any need for a head gasket upgrade, a new std gasket should do fine.

Ok cheers mate. I shall look into this a bit further and keep everyone posted.

Panzer

I've just thought of something else I would like to know about this, didnt think a new thread was worth it.

If i did the engine mod what steering/break upgrades could I do to this model because they are pretty bad as it is now.... can you upgrade the power steeering?

Cheers

Panzer

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links