Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance...

Qube

Hiya

I am picking up my CTS next Friday Woo Hoo, can not wait. :D

Been reading the forums here for a few weeks now.

What I wanted to know is If I was to fit a K&N Panel filter would I need to inform my insurance company about it?

Cheers

Definately....

Any modifications done to your car at all have to be decalared, unfortunately in this day and age it's the only way to be safe, you could always risk not declaring but if you have a prang your insurance company could quite easily say that the car is not standard and they would then not have to pay for any damages....

IMHO it is much better to decalre absolutely every single modas that way the insurance company doesn't have a leg to stand on when the worst happens and it comes to claim time...

so what do u class as mods then ryan, anything done to the engine i presume..

what about better suspension? etc

a mod is anything that improves or changes the original car. eg. Anything... lol

Even putting a TS Badge on a 1 GS yaris would be classed as a mod. Becuase people might be more likely to nick it.

Okay...

Here is the official line from Insurance companies...

A modification is classified as anything added to a car that is not a standard part.

i.e. If you have a Yaris SE, and install TS suspension, that is a modification.

If you put a sports mesh grill on an IS200, that is a modification.

IF YOU DO NOT INFORM YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OF ANY CHANGES, YOUR POLICY IS DECLARED NULL AND VOID!

As Fidgits said, anything that isn't standard is a mod aand needs to be declared, some items will push the price up some are just noted....

I'm insured with Elephant and have declared....

alloys

Bodykit

Suspension

Induction

Exhaust

KV85 HT Leads (lol)

oh and the mr2 as well, even told them that the engine was swapped for a newer one under warranty !

If you go to your insurance company and declare absolutely everything even down to the smallest detail as suggested earler even a T Sport Badge on an SR the insurance company can not have any quibbles when you come to make a claim.

Another advantage would be if you did total your car and were arguing about the price some insurers will use another car of the same type, by decalring everything you can argue that your car is worth more than the example due to the modifications....

It's better to cover your own back rather than paddle down the brown preverbial lake at a later point....

yes i suppose you're right

so does alloys and uprates suspension take the cost of your insurance up? or are they just noted...

I expect the chip I am searching for will obviously take the premium up

So do you think just a panel filter would put my insurance up? Or would it just be noted?

depends on which company I guess...

Am not to sure as I decalared everything listed in one go, ws short of cash so the first month she was just a standard MR2 :!Removed!: but as soon as my next pay packet came in I declared the lot (the insurance guy nearly had a heart attack) and the insurance went up by £74'ish....

My original insurance company quoted an extra 230 quid for fitting a set of lowering springs.. now being with the LOC insurance.. anything deemed cosmetic does not effect the premium... BUT STILL HAS TO BE DECLARED....

My best advice, speak to your insurance company before buying anything to modify your car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links