Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 7 - Gt Limited Edition

gordypix

I first got to hear of this via Mr SHUTTY over on TOC! and since then have heard various comments banded around.

In a nutshell it seems Toyota are to launch a very Limited Edition Gen 7 Celica in the UK.....

- Limited to 500 to 800 examples.

- 225 BHP as standard (no turbo - probably an elevator instead of lift)

- To be known as the GT (to continue the Celica tradition)

- Larger Rear Spoiler of the TRD variety

- Side Skirts of the Veilside style variety

- Sports Gear Knob

- Lowering Springs

- Possible on sale date of between 2 and 6 months depending on which rumour you believe.....

And yeah - It's gonna cost maybe 1 - 2 K more than a T-Sport.....

That sounds like one beautiful car..........daren't go there given I got in a LOT of trouble with the Missus when I bought the T-sport, let alone spending another £2k !!!! :huh:

Do you think this is a 'goodbye' special edition? The Gen 7 is getting quite old now.........

I asked the dealer this and apparentely any Gen 8 is still years away.......... :bookworm:

I reckon Toyota are getting fed up with all the grief they are getting for lack of power in the Celica compared to the old GT4's so decided to prove they can do a lil' tweek here and there........ :D

From what I gather the Celica will cease to exist in the USA but will still be available in Europe wheras the MR2 is just plain gone :bye:

from what i've heard, they are killing the celica name as well as the MR2 name..

celicas will remain in our minds and hearts in years to come when there are no more :crybaby:

Sure as that I heard it from my Mr T dealer - they know better than me....... :thumbsup:

- 225 BHP as standard

Are you sure ?

Sure as that I heard it from my Mr T dealer - they know better than me....... :thumbsup:

Dealers know nowt, I remember when I test drove a gen7 in the summer of 2000 before the 190 or T-Sport had appeared. I was telling the salesman about there'd be another 1.8 litre version that's more powerful, he was saying no no they'll do a 2 litre version - how I larfed :D

- 225 BHP as standard (no turbo - probably an elevator instead of lift)

Do you know what they are on about when they say 'elevator'? Sounds like something from a tall building!

225 hp from 1.8 litres? It is conceivable (the Honda S2000 has 240 from 2 litres), but I doubt that it could be coaxed out of the 190 engine, and I'd be surprised if they fitted a whole new engine to the gen7 at this stage in it's lifecycle. Even if it does have 225 hp it's probably going to be at about 12k revs!

The TRD special (JDM) was fettled to 200 hp, with lightweight pistons and all sorts of other trick bits.

Can't wait to see what it turns out like though.

I work for Toyota and can confirm the GT limited edition.

It definately has the standard 189 bhp engine .The big difference is the large rear spoiler and sideskirts. I too wish it carried more bhp as the car is now begining to be left behind by the ever growing 225bhp+ brigade. The 225bhp probably comes from the supercharged corolla tsport in development . This unfortunately is not confirmed for the uk as yet.

Well there we go again..............

So many differing views - seems no-one really knows for sure whats going on with the Celica........

We'll just all wait and see what happens with it. :lol:

You can cast the 189bhp in stone.

I have the product report on it in my hands now. If you call your local dealer they now have this info too . ps it is yellow or thunder grey.

You can cast the 189bhp in stone.

I have the product report on it in my hands now. If you call your local dealer they now have this info too . ps it is yellow or thunder grey.

Well - it'd have to be Thunder Grey every time!! B)

OK - if its only a 190 then it ain't gonna be nothing that we couldn't do to our own cars - So what is the point. It is not UNIQUE............

I agree Gordy - there's no point. It's just going back to the days of the 190 and the T-Sport.........no discernable difference apart from a bit of a different bodykit.........

Seems pointless charging an extra £2k for a big bodykit.

Wait till you see the spoiler

Straight out of fast and the furious .I should not call the car as i work for toyota but it is not subtle.

It is very much like the latest subaru wrx design. bigger than the gt4 celica (gen 6 style)

We are all praying for a high performance model to lead Toyota's range, i will post as soon as i hear of anything.

WE APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU SEND OUR WAY - CHEERS WARRIORMAN :thumbsup:

Which was exactly what we said in that thread and why I posted it!!!

By the way, the S2000 DOES NOT HAVE 240BHP - It has 240PS - which is a different rating, if you want to convert from PS to bhp you need to divide by 1.0139

Yes it does: 240 BHP DIN. I didn't specify what kind of HP, did I? :P

And 240 DIN = 236.7 SAE, which is hardly significant to the point I was making anyway. Also, I thought the T-Sport had 190 BHP DIN / PS, and not SAE?

In any case, they are all derived in a climatic test cell under controlled conditions, probably using 100 RON fuel as well.

I can't believe many would stump up the extra £1k+ for a bit of body kit. We want 4wd turbo power! Or at least an LSD. As was mentioned earlier, it sounds like a plot to shift the old stock before the gen8 is announced (or whatever the replacement is going to be called: MR-lica??? :hokus-pokus: ).

Toyota really should get their finger out and give us something that breaks the 200Bhp mark, something that really deserves the term 'sports car'.

We're not asking for a new Supra (which would be nice), but a step back towards the GT4 breed would be very nice.

Not that the T-Sport isn't fast or anything, but something that would make scooby (subaru) drivers roll up their windows and turn down their stereos would be much more fun.

Toyota really should get their finger out and give us something that breaks the 200Bhp mark, something that really deserves the term 'sports car'.

We're not asking for a new Supra (which would be nice), but a step back towards the GT4 breed would be very nice.

Not that the T-Sport isn't fast or anything, but something that would make scooby (subaru) drivers roll up their windows and turn down their stereos would be much more fun.

seconded :thumbsup: