Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Thinking Of Celica

welshMGman

Hi,

Just joined because I am in somewhat of a Quandry!

I drive an MG ZR. Unfortunately, as you are aware, things have gone bad for MGR, and it is unlikely that new MG saloons will be produced in the near future.

Later this year/early next year; I will be thinking of replacing the MG. But, with what? I had thought of a Celica (amongst many others), so have joined up to find out some more about them. Forgive my ignorance about them, but I have some questions:

What are they like as an everyday car? Are they usable enough for the mudane task of driving to and from work?

Also, what colour leather interior can you have with them? The Toyota website is not very helpful about this. MG offered what was called the 'Monogram' programme; whereby you could spec a car in a huge range of interior and exterior colours (if you had enough money - chromactive paint at 2,000 pounds!). Does Toyota have something similar to 'custom build' a Celica?

Thanks,

Jason

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Are you looking at a NEW (generation 7) Celica?

If so then you have a few options: a 140 model or a T-sport (190bhp). I think they might still be doing the red or blue versions which are basicallly colour coded 140's with matching interiors etc.........

Best bet for options is go to your local Toyota Centre and get the sales person to let you drive all the Cars and give you the low down.

They are fantastic as an everday car - comfortable, reliable, fairly good fuel ecom, nippy, handle well and are covered with a comprehensive warrenty from Toyota of course.

hmmmm

go for a generation 5

i currently have a skyline that is not as nice as the celica for everday use.

( can u lot tell i miss the baby? )

YOU SHOULD STILL GO AND TEST DRIVE ONE AT LEAST TO FEEL IT. AND WITH A T-SPORT TRY OUT THE "LIFT" AT THE HIGH REVS :thumbsup:

Hi - welcome to TOC!

Definately drive both. Dealers will fob you off saying that the 140bhp is just the same as the 190bhp but without the Lift capability but that's pretty much rubbish. It's best to drive both as the 190bhp also has more useable torque in the midrange than the 140. You can feel this when driving and makes it more of a useable everyday car (I certainly think so anyway, but I am biased!! :) )

You can also see this on the power graphs in the Celica manuals.

I've had mine for 5 months now and love it to bits. Have done lots of long journeys and it's quite comfortable for 4 hours non-stop on the motorway. Aswell as consistently returning 33mpg (combined) - not bad from a 0-60 in 7secs car!! :D

Repeating myself and others.........go test-drive both 140 & 190/T-Sport and make your decision based on that. Either way, I guarantee you'll be smitten with one of them. Go for it! :thumbsup:

Sure - you'll never forget the MG ZR, but Gen 7 (can't speak about other Gen's) are far more comfortable with a supple ride for long journey's but with a stiffness that allows you immense grip in corners. It doesn't corner as flat as the ZR but has oodles more grip and doesn't understeer like the ZR does. Plus they're stunning looking cars...........a real sportscar rather than a hot hatch (which is why I traded in my Fiesta Zetec-S for one!) B)

I must admit; it took me a while to get to like the looks of the Celica; but, since I have seen a few (of the current model) on the road; I have been taken with the looks.

Jason

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links