Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Powerband Is Gone

Gundy

Hi there,i'm new on this forum and have just bought a 1996 celica gt.I've had the car for six months now,everything was going fine until a month ago when the engine seemed stop puting out the power at 5500rpm.Before it used to pin you to the seat when it reached this point,but now it seems to just be flat when it gets there!!!!

I'm hoping someone out there can give me some advice.I bought a k&n induction kit but that didn't help,its probably something simple but i have no clue about mechanics!!!!

Please someone HELP!!!!??????

not a mechanic myself so forgive me if i'm wrong here, but 5500 rpm is when the second cam kicks in so maybe you've got a problem in that area!?!

What 2nd cam.? This is not a v-tec engine!!

Most probably it is your variable induction system which is not working properly. Check for cracks in vacum pipes especially near the variable induction expansion tank.

yeah,its not a v-tec but is still a twin cam engine so it has the same effect!!!yes?!?!?!?

the variable induction system has now been replaced by a k&n induction kit!!!there is no expansion tank!!

the 3s-ge engine is twin cam BUT it is still running off one cam belt so they are always both running together. Unless you have an ss-3 with vvti but i doubt that seeing as they are more rare than rocking horse ****.

:lol:

You shouldnt really experience a kick, the engine will be reaching the maximum horse power after this mark so thats probably what your getting.

That's not exact. You are right in saying you experience a kick because there is one.

Th system is called AICS, Acoustic Induction Control System present in your throttle body.

Basically the length of the inlet manifold varies with rpm long on low revs to enhance torque, short on high revs to give more top end power. The kick is when the butterflies of the long manifold close up. It has nothing to do with your filter. This system is situated in your inlet manifold.

Look at any 6 gen brochure there is the explanation or search on google

Are you sure that the st202 has aics?

:huh:

Because to my knowledge this is a feature of variable valve timing engines.

I have never heard of this in a non vvti engine, i had a st202 (1998) and never experienced a 'kick' as you put it.

It spins up quickly which puts you in your seat sort of but this is all i noticed.

hold on do you mean Air Induction Control System (also known as Variable Induction System), because i can understand that. Acuostics are usually contained by the resonator

;)

I hate engines..... :lol:

this is turning into quite a topic :lol:

so if its not the induction kit then what could be wrong with this (AICS) thing?!?!?

i definately got a surge of power at this rpm before because when i was driving it home from the garage where i'd just bought it,i nearly ditched it overtaking a lorry on an s-bend :lol: !!wasn't expecting it in the slightest,i tell you!!!

(gt4_wrc) i will try and get a photo of my engine bay to you asap!!!you said you plugged the vacuum pipe?!?!on the k&n kit the intake pipe which came with the kit,had facilities for the two small pipes which were connected to the existing induction system!!if that helps you any!!

thanx guys for your interest :D we'll get it sussed yet!!

With the induction kit in the only other pipe that needs connecting is the chunky short black one underneather the big induction pipe. The smaller pipe towards the back of the bay just need blocking off.

i changed the induction pipe back to the original and left the cone on,it seems to be working the way it should,still isn't as lifey as it was before but theres an improvment!i'll try blocking the small pipe and use the k&n induction pipe!!

cheers for the help everyone :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links