Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lotus Elise

Midnightsupra

Hi peeps,

Looking for peoples thoughts on the Elise especially people that have owned/driven one.

I took one for a spin this morning, you'd never have guessed there is no power steering or servo assisted brakes but it was great.

I know the usual things:

Leaks all the time as roof doesnt meet properly

Have to be a contortonist to get in and out with the roof on.

Don't like high mileage.

Is there anything else and what are your thoughts?

An elise should not have abs or power steering!!! like the Mk1 Mr2, they detract from the drive! The hardcore elise fans were grumpy that the new model had carpets and aircon, as a "proper" elise is not about comfort!!! When lookign at a K series car... CHECK THE HEADGASKET....

They are quite cool little cars, very nippy... if you are looking at them may I also suggest that you give a VX-220 a whirl too... same thing, but sharper styling and a turbo :D shame they didn;t use the holden branding, the Badge would put me off (don't start Scionic......)

Elises look awesome in metalic grey with anthracite wheels :D some of the brighter colours look a bit camp in my opinion...

They are quite cool little cars, very nippy... if you are looking at them may I also suggest that you give a VX-220 a whirl too... same thing, but sharper styling and a  turbo :D shame they didn;t use the holden branding, the badge would put me off (don't start Scionic......)

My other half wanted a VX-220 because in many respects its better than the new Elise but its also the same too.....

It was the Vauxhall Badge that put him off - he loved the car, just not the Badge, which is a shame as its basically an Lotus in Vauxhall clothing!

I'm not an Elise owner, never have been and probably never will be but they are seriously nice - true sports cars dont have the "mod cons" of PAS and stuff, but they dont lack anything because of it! Great cars! :thumbsup:

My mate has an exige and thats the best car I have ever been in!! I have nearly died twice in it driving in the rain but I still think its class :lol:

Never driven one, but been driven in one.... my god they're fantastic. It had the Lotus stage 2 sports exhaust, race-ready suspension tuning (the guy had just come from a track day few days before) and it was awesome. A 100% proper sports car. ubik on the floor, the front snorting the white lines off the road, the exhaust was just superb and you felt everything what was going on.

This was a 111R by the way, and the Toyota engine was brilliant... the noise and power as the revs flew up was truly brilliant.

Im 6ft 3" and would be classed as a porker, but i still fit! Granted, not very well but i didn't care! One of the best car experiences iv ever had... and i wasn't driving! And we weren't going that fast! Just brilliant!

i've driven a few of them,

good looking car but i had backache and headache when i got out.

Great car for week-end fun but i wouldnt fancy living with one.

Well i've taken the plunge and just agreed to exchange the M3 for one.

Take delivery next week so i'm sat here practising getting my legs behind my ears so I can get in with the roof on lol

pizzaboy on this site has just bought an Elise mate, I think he likes it alot! :thumbsup:

M3 for an Elise though? I dunno! :wacko:

An elise should not have abs or power steering!!! like the Mk1 Mr2, they detract from the drive! The hardcore elise fans were grumpy that the new model had carpets and aircon, as a "proper" elise is not about comfort!!! When lookign at a K series car... CHECK THE HEADGASKET....

They are quite cool little cars, very nippy... if you are looking at them may I also suggest that you give a VX-220 a whirl too... same thing, but sharper styling and a  turbo :D shame they didn;t use the holden branding, the badge would put me off (don't start Scionic......)

I know! Can't you imagine if you were seen in a Vauxhall?

I mean....what would the neighbors think?

:lol::rolleyes:

Kidding aside though. I love the Elise. At least I love the way it looks, it's size and the philosophy behind it. But I've never been fortunate enough to drive one. They've only just started importing them to the U.S. last year. Ours has a Lotus tuned Toyota 2ZZ-GE, in part to help it pass emissions here. Not sure if that is the case in the UK or not.

I hope to drive, or at least get a ride in one someday. They look the business for sure >:D

I have trouble fitting in my friend's NB Miata, so I'm sure I'll have a bit of issue with the Elise when the time comes :arrgg-matey:

Great BRITISH car :thumbsup:

Isn't Lotus owned by Proton? :P ;)

Just having some fun. Great Brit car through and through :thumbsup: :arrgg-matey:

Just having some fun.  Great Brit car through and through  :thumbsup:  :arrgg-matey:

I beleive you're right about that.

I don't know if there are any independant British car companies left. :(

Just having some fun.  Great Brit car through and through  :thumbsup:   :arrgg-matey:

I beleive you're right about that.

I don't know if there are any independant British car companies left. :(

TVR is still independant, its just owned by a russian..

Then theres still Morgan, Noble and Ultima...

As for the elise, a great car, very impactical for everyday use, and any sort of distance will be uncomfortable..

I like The elise... but if I got one it'd only ever be for track use....

-and for that level of impracticality why not get a caterham :D

Are Arial British too? and Radical? not really "proper" cars though, still cool :thumbsup:

i think elises are great for certain things, ive driven one (sisters bloke) and its ace but not built for people like me (6'2") especially when you get out (i did a kinda crawl/fall) great cars for track or weekend blasting but a bit loud and uncomfortable on th M way for any kind of distance.

like The elise... but if I got one it'd only ever be for track use....

-and for that level of impracticality why not get a caterham

i agree and for elise money you can get a full on bike engined seat of you pants scare the missus to death cateram :thumbsup:

I would have one but they are a bit small for my liking, I hear they dont even have a stereo as standard!

.....And nor should they :D

I agree with most of the above

took one out for a test drive for a laugh with no real intention of buying one as they are small, small engine, no electric roof (lazy i know!), no elec windows etc but it does have a stereo.

but........................

god, its fast and so much much fun, the last time i had a grin on my face like that was when i took delivery of the supra and that only lasted a couple of days until i realised that within a matter of seconds i was breaking the speed limit and overtaking small aircraft! lol

i know it leaks and i like my creature comforts, but you get so much feedback and it is so light it accelerates so fast up to 90-100mph that you never really get to go above above that here unless on a track plus 48mpg!!!! whats 2.5 times what i've had out of the supe and m3. And the roof comes off lol

oh by the way, did I mention the grin factor :D

I've driven a few Elise on track days. The Toyota engined one is very smooth but thrash me silly engine wise. I'd go for the k-series just for the sound :D

I wouldn't like one as an everyday car though, a real nightmare to get in and out.

Joe

I know even the combined round town figure is 39mpg - this will save me so much money...................

as long as i can get my !Removed! legs around my ears to get in the thing! :lol::lol: :P

Nice one mate! Great car eh!! If you want a great forum go to www.mloc.co.uk its the bigggest elise forum "midlands lotus owners club". :)

cheers for the heads up mate

not taking delivery till wed/thurs so got itchy feet at the moment.

have you got one on the way as well?

also, looking to replace the 2nd car later on in year as a family car for the missus and will def stay toyota, what the best on the market up to 2/3k that will take weekly shopping, eventually kids etc

been in one and there great real sporty car, went round the 'ring in one, be nice to drive one someday,

and as for other cars a corolla sounds rite

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links