Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6 Vvti

INNUENDO

I am seriously considering buying a Toyota Corolla,but having done a little research,and reading this thread,I am quite concerned(to the point of paranoia) about the over use of oil.Is there a way to tell whether the car I intend to buy is one that is affected by this fault.Many thanks, D.Oh,by the way,if I ring Toyota,is there a department that will answer any questions truthfully and fully.

Got the oil consumption test yesterday, was chattin to the toyota dealer and he said that toyota were talking cars out of warranty on a case by case basis, so im just going to to run it for the 1k and send in the report...

Im determined to take toyota all the way with this..so watch this space!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. This will be my first post, just joined up! Please forgive any stupidity with my post, i confess to having pretty much zero knowledge of the mechanical side of cars, but after searching about problems with Corolla VVTi oil consumption I came across this thread. Here goes............

On 6th Jan this year I bought a 1.6 VVTi Corolla (2002 model, not the very latest one, mine has the honeycomb grill), from a Toyota dealer. After doing about 1000 miles in a month the oil level got down to the minimum marker on the dipstick so I took it back to my dealer, they checked it over & said no leaks & to keep an eye on level as they said it isnt abnormal for them to use alot of oil. 421 miles later my oil level is under halfway, i calculated 4/7 of the 1.5 litre amount (from min to max on dipstick) had been used...so thats nearly 0.9 of a litre for 421 miles! Checked the owners book & it said that the max tolerance was 600 miles for a litre.

Two things have come out of this that I hope you chaps who seem very knowledgable could help me with:

1 - Ive found out that the oil the car has been serviced with since new (by Toyota dealer) is Castrol Magnatec 10/40....the handbook clearly recommends 5/30, no mention of 10/40.

2 - Obviously my car is using more oil that the tolerance level stated by Toyota.

Its booked to go in Tuesday, but i'd like to be pre-armed with as much proper info as possible should they possibly try fobbing me off (not saying they would but just in case as they will know I know little!). What made me think they are a bit panicky is that while i was talking to the service guy, I noticed a chap who looked high up in that department (tie etc..) listening. As soon as I said about the 10/40 being put in my car when it should be 5/30, & that i'd spoken to Castrol who said this wasnt right & I should get something in writing from Toyota saying that they have serviced the car each time with this, he came over & asked me to go through it with him so he could speak to whoever at Toyota about the oil grade & consumption.

Sorry about the length of this post, and I would really appreciate any advice or comments that anyone here may have as im getting a bit worried about my car!

Thanks in advance.

Well sounds a bit wierd to me - I've got a 2001 old style Corolla with the VVTi engine in, and the original handbook for the car lists 15w40 as an acceptable oil to use in the engines. It does recommend 5w30, but only for good starting in (very) cold temperatures and marginally better fuel economy - it shows a diagram titled "Recommended viscosity" which shows the temperature range for 5w30, 10w30, 15w40 and even 20w50 - even 15w40 is 'recommended' down to -12 degrees C. In this country, you rarely need the extra protection that 5w gives you (which goes right down to arctic conditions of something like -40), but 5w is more expensive than 10w oil, so garages tend to use that.

The whole XXwXX rating system for oil is a bit of a red herring anyway, because it really is only intended to give you an indication of the correct oil to use in a particular climate and a vague idea of the operating temperature viscosity. I would be shocked and horified if any modern engine rated to run on 5w30 would go into meltdown when run on 10w40 oil - unless of course the oil quality was totally rubbish :)

From what I understand of the issues with the VVTi engines, a thinner 5w30 oil would actually burn faster than a more viscous 10w40, especially in the cold weather.

One other thing which is not really relevant but the post made me think of it - I've never understood why people bother putting Magnatec into modern engines - isn't the whole point that it contains magnetic particles to make it cling to the upper parts of the engine? If so, I see no use whatsoever in a modern all aluminium engine like the VVTi's - no iron means no magnetism surely?! Maybe I'm just missing the point... :)

They're not made ENTIRELY of aluminium :)

Most of the wearing faces are still iron/steel.

Example being piston rings, bore liners, cams, cranks, chains, valves etc are all still made of ferous materials

It's just the structural stuff that holds it all together (i.e. the block and head) that are aluminium

Thanks both for the replies. Like I said i know little about the mechanical side of cars, so concerning the oil grade I thought what was in the handbook would be what should be used, but I had a feeling that there must be other options cos a dealer shouldn't go using something that wasn't OK. Just made me wonder after reading it. I'll see what response I get after my cars been in Tuesday, particularly on the heavy oil consumption, i'm sure i'll have some more questions!

If you want to get an official answer on the oil grade question, there is a contact number for Toyota UK head office - might be worth it just to clear that up. I don't have the number, but I've read posts on this site with the details on - maybe someone will repost here fyi.

If you want to get an official answer on the oil grade question, there is a contact number for Toyota UK head office - might be worth it just to clear that up. I don't have the number, but I've read posts on this site with the details on - maybe someone will repost here fyi.

Took car in today. The chap said he'd spoken to Toyota & oil supplier about the grade used & its OK, had a feeling it would be cos it'd be a HUGE mistake on their part if they're putting unsuitable oil in cars. I may still check with Toyota if i can find that number just to be sure, thanks for the tip.

What's happening is Toyota have given me an ''Engine oil consumption check sheet'', stamped & with job number.....basically they have topped it up to max (which i've had to check & sign along with the foreman), written down the mileage, & I have to drive it until the oil level hits minimum & then take it back.

It sais on the bottom of the sheet that the form is to be ''returned in plastic wallet in box with old short engine.'' Guess that means i'ts all gunna be sorted thankfully! I presume it'd have to be shown to be over tolerance on this occasion for consumption before they will take it apart still to send anything away, but i know it will be over from the last 2 occasions.

Yeh - what it sounds like they do is check your oil level vs the number of miles you do inbetween fillups, and if the oil consumption is more than something like 1 litre per 600 miles they will replace the short block of the engine, which Toyota will pay the dealer for doing so long as they have tested the oil consumption and recorded it on the bit of paper you have (hence the return the sheet in a box with the old short block note you read). Sounds like you should be sorted, so long as the oil consumption is as stupidly high as it sounds :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the oil consumption test yesterday, was chattin to the toyota dealer and he said that toyota were talking cars out of warranty on a case by case basis, so im just going to to run it for the 1k and send in the report...

Im determined to take toyota all the way with this..so watch this space!!

Just an update, I ran the car for 1K and it burned 1litre of oil, so the report has been sent and I should have word back in a week! Lets see what kinda story they try to fob me off with..

Are we stil talking about the E11 ( 2000-2002) or the E12 (2002-untill now )

Ok than, you become a complete new underblock for youre Rolla , that solved the oil problem :yes:

Didn't relise that the corolla also sufferd from oil problems, I have a celica 1.8VVti and have known a number of these to use all of there oil, probably about 10 or so have failed the last year, but Toyota have not been interested and say its not a known issue. For that reason I have extended my warranty.

From what I understand the problem was caused when Toyota started to produce alluminum engines for the first time and got it wrong. However it took them two year to sort.

The celica has a habbit of the piston rings going oval and thats thats.

I think that Toyota Netherlands have put there hands upto to the problem and are replacing engines when they fail.

I must go out and check my misses corolla in the morning.

It's almost as bad a owning a RX8...lol

And the moral of the story is ...

..."If you want a dependable Toyota Corolla ... ... don't buy one built after 2000?"

:!Removed!:

To measure oil consumption is it 1litre from the min point to the max point on the dipstick?

Also what is the cause of excess oil burn? I read in the thread it was something to do with a dodgy part but would high revving and lots of gear changes burn oil quicker?

its crazy to read whats happening to some of you guys with your toyotas, my 4age engine in my corolla gt is 18 years old and has covered 100k, the 30k of which is by me, so much of those miles are very hard driving up to the red line of 7700 rpm. even done a few track days, and its never burnt any oil before 3000 miles let alone 1000, and even then its only 1 or 2 mm on the dip stick, why have things changed so much ??

I own the 2002 new shape Corolla (1.6VVti - 54.000km, bought it when it was 49.500km) and I have terrible OIL consumption problem. I did the service on the same day I bought it a year ago.. and I have that car last 4500 kms.

I thought there is no need to check on oil until next service, but yesterday my oil lamp was flashed for about a 1 second, when I was driving downhill and suddenly press the brake.

When I measured the oil, there wasn't ANY! Not even dip.

I pour the 1L of "Castrol RS" in it, and again there wasn't any signs of oil on the dipstick!

I'm going to the service tommorow and will let You know what it was.

bad bad move, you should always check your oil between services! lets hope you havent taken to much life off of it

Update:

After checking the official Toyota report and my engine number, my service man relaized

it is from the first UK series and it is defective one. Worst thing is I dont have the guarantie no more,

and I will have to pay it myself.

They will open the engine and will do bore measurements (according to official Toyota recomendetion)...

I left the service yesterday with 2 possibilities:

1) If the bore is OK, they will replace pistons, piston rings and rods = 900 euros (incl. hands)

2) If the bore is not OK, they will change the whole block :eek: = 2500 euros (w/o hands)

I "see" it will be the option #2 :crybaby:

I'm waiting the Call from service. :wacko:

Maybe than this is something for you check it out :yes:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Motor-Toyota-Corolla-E1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck and let us now

It's not that bad after all... :blink:

They contacted me today and said that bore is OK, and the piston rings was like this:

first one from the up is OK

middle one wasnt that OK

and lowest one is totally sinked (pressed) into the piston and it didnt bring the oil down, on its way down.

They will replace pistons, rings and piston rods, as well as soome washers (, rubber things between metal parts, I dont speak english that good to translate...). Also, they will replace Air Intake Pipes (Air Intake Bruch?), since

it distribute some anoying vibrations around 2k rpm, it's been broken a little somewhere and that

plastic cannot be repaired.

Tnx for the info G6, but i would never buy second hand engine... again. :lol:

Maybe than this is something for you check it out :yes:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Motor-Toyota-Corolla-E1...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck and let us now

It's not that bad after all... :blink:

They contacted me today and said that bore is OK, and the piston rings was like this:

first one from the up is OK

middle one wasnt that OK

and lowest one is totally sinked (pressed) into the piston and it didnt bring the oil down, on its way down.

They will replace pistons, rings and piston rods, as well as soome washers (, rubber things between metal parts, I dont speak english that good to translate...). Also, they will replace Air Intake Pipes (Air Intake Bruch?), since

it distribute some anoying vibrations around 2k rpm, it's been broken a little somewhere and that

plastic cannot be repaired.

Tnx for the info G6, but i would never buy second hand engine... again. :lol:

Vibrations of Intake manifold is also known problem.......they(Toyota service) replaced mine for free.........

Vibrations of Intake manifold is also known problem.......they(Toyota service) replaced mine for free.........

Did you hear manifold vibrations after replacement?

my corolla suffered from heavy oil consumption after 30k service. toyota replaced bottom block october last year after doing oil measurements. my car was also out of warranty but i never paid a penny to have it replaced. all they asked for was service history book and confirmed that it had been serviced on time and by toyota. i have now done 2000 miles since the block was replaced and the oil is still on the full mark on the dipstick :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links