Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.6 Vvti

INNUENDO

Vibrations of Intake manifold is also known problem.......they(Toyota service) replaced mine for free.........

Did you hear manifold vibrations after replacement?

no

Further to my previous posts, which in brief were:

2002 1.6 VVTi Corolla - since bought in January used 1.5litres of oil in first 1000 or so miles, next 450 to 500 miles used nearly a full max to min dipstick of oil. Toyota agreed problem & was given oil consumption sheet (with notes on the bottom saying that this checksheet was to be returned with old short engine).

Well 835 miles later & my car has used max to min on dipstick (1.5litres) plus 300ml I had to add to drive it on Sunday. Took it back in on Monday & spoke to their aftersales manager....whats now been written on the checksheet is that he said it took 1.2 litres to top it up to max from min (disputing this anyway as its meant to be 1.5 litres, & i was never asked to witness this either or sign anything, unlike when they topped it up before testing), plus my 300ml, they're saying is 1.5 litres in total (i say 1.8!). Regardless of that dispute, even at 1.5 litres it makes the consumption 556 miles for 1 litre of oil, above their max tolerance stated in the handbook.

The comments i received from the aftersales manager were basically that this is about right for this engine, as its whats in the handbook?! I made my point that whats in the handbook is a tolerance for maximum consumption, not a suggested consumption, & that this is not an un-known problem. After a lengthy chat it was left that he would contact Toyota, & i had to call Customer Relations to get a case reference.

My phone call back to Customer Relations today to see whats going on has turned into them saying that, as they have spoken to my aftersales guy who has told them its consuming 1litre per 600 miles (which he sais is right) that they aren't prepared to do anything?! To be honest im shocked, & told the person on the phone what i thought (shouldnt be near 600 to start with etc...) & he was about to give me a number for the Motor something ombudsman....I then pointed out that even so the report in writing I have sais 556 miles per litre, not 600, & i've now been told that they will need to speak to other technical people at Toyota.

Whats obviously happened is they're trying to fob me off, particularly the aftersales guy who i went to see at the garage, & I get the feeling the telephone based Customer Relations people are going by his recommendation.

Obviosly im not going to accept this decision, but wondered if anyone hera had any comments or advice that may help me. Sorry again about the length of the post but just trying to give all the info!

Biccy, that's sad position You are now.

I have to pay my 900E + intake mainfold because I was stupid when

I was buying the car, and not ask for the service book.

I cannot find the guy who sold me the car, and now I have to pay for my stupidity.

I'm concern about some other thing, and that is:

Why didn't Toyota made a General Recall of Dec.01/Feb.02 new VVTI engines?

The thing is i've bought from a main dealer, & have got 3 years extended warranty so i cant believe whats happened today, & that they've even tried to say my car is OK when i have it in writing that the consumption is over their own tolerance. Fuming is the word :censor: Just wondering how far im gunna have to take this to get done what should be done, which is engine repair of replacement of short-engine. & whats more annoying is this is what i thought was gunna be done once they had the new figures!

I'm concern about some other thing, and that is:

Why didn't Toyota made a General Recall of Dec.01/Feb.02 new VVTI engines?

They could made recall....but the mentioned "problem" is not "life threatening" problem.................so...........there is no need for a recall....

Probably they will fix the problem free of charge ..........of course U need Service book with all "stamps"...

• 1 month later...

Got the oil consumption test yesterday, was chattin to the toyota dealer and he said that toyota were talking cars out of warranty on a case by case basis, so im just going to to run it for the 1k and send in the report...

Im determined to take toyota all the way with this..so watch this space!!

Just an update, I ran the car for 1K and it burned 1litre of oil, so the report has been sent and I should have word back in a week! Lets see what kinda story they try to fob me off with..

:D :D Well finally after months of battling with Toyota they have finally agreed to do the necessary work to the car to resolve the oil consumption issue!! I'll will be leaving it with my local dealer next week!

Well after a few months all is resolved :)

After alot of arguing & conversations with my local dealer, my short-engine was replaced last week, & the difference from a driving point of view is noticeable. The hold up was with the dealership & not Toyota, once the dealer gave in to what I was requesting (after a few visits & a threat to complain!) they sent a 'Prior Authorisation' to Toyota, who sorted things out quickly from there.

It took a bit of time & effort but was worth it in the end.

Thanks to those on this thread....I know very little about cars but finding this topic & reading through it all is what gave me the info to be able to get my problem fixed.

so we have another new block

under warranty well done

but would you buy another toyota

toyota are number one for sales but we all feel they ae not number one on customer service

they make enough profit and if anybody else has problems with high oil consumption ask mr t about the green issue with oil this oil being burnt

they advertise toyota aiming for zero emmissions ????

bad advert

Hmm reading all the info about oil loss has prompted me to keep an eye on my consumption.

Since my last service I have clocked up 900 miles and the dipstick has probably lost about 5mm from the max mark - most of my driving is local (live very near my office now) and very rarely on motorway. Should I be concerned about the loss as I cannot remember the oil moving at all before it went for this service and I used to check it about every 3-4 weeks...sure I would have noticed it dropping tho?.

I know my consumption is no where near some of the horror stories here but I am a little concerned that the car will run out of its 5 year engine warranty before it manifests into something major - is it worth approaching the dealer? I had 3 SAABs before moving to this 2002 Corolla and each one was sold on with substantial mileage yet none lost any oil at all, I went for Toyota because pretty much everyone in my family has one and I felt it was a more cost effective solution than the bigger hungrier SAAB! Trouble is I'm now so close to my office and spend the majority of my time based there I'm doing zero mileage (300 a month), so it will take yonks to do the oil consumption test! This is a car we want to keep though so I want to approach any problems before its too late - any thoughts on this from other users?

Cheers all :thumbsup:

give mr t your engine block num they will look it up

mr t knows which batch of engine blocks have the high oil con prob

roly i would be concerned and 900 miles and about 0.6 litre is not good

but try getting toyota to change the block

!Removed! luck always refer to this site and a letter to toyota japan helps ie bad build goes against what mr t in japan wants

Got my Corolla back from the dealer today, they decided to replace the whole block so hopefully no more oil consumption problems..I have to say the dealer really pushed Toyota all the way to get this work done for me as my car was no longer under warranty..so hats off to them..as for Corolla Ireland customer service....well if awards were available for fobbing off customers they would be doing their acceptance speech right now!! :angry:

The moral of the story...stick to your guns and perservere..and dont accept no for an answer!

Safe driving my friends!!! :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

Hi there

I know that this is an old thread but as I have just bought a new '56-plate' 1.6 Corolla Colour Collection. I thought I may add my comments. I own a Mazda Rx-8 which has a reputation as an oil burner. Well, in my 2 years of owning it, it uses 1 litre of oil for every 1500 miles. And as a Rx-8 owner I am well used to checking the oil consumption. Given other member's experiences, I am both alarmed and curious about this engine's oil consumption. I'll post my findings soon as I am currently at 340 miles. If it is worse than an Rx-8's then that is just silly.

I should also add that I previously had a Suzuki Liana (1.6) and it nearly burned all the oil away after 3000 miles, but it settled down after that.

Cheers

Dave

Got my Corolla back from the dealer today, they decided to replace the whole block so hopefully no more oil consumption problems..I have to say the dealer really pushed Toyota all the way to get this work done for me as my car was no longer under warranty..so hats off to them..as for Corolla Ireland customer service....well if awards were available for fobbing off customers they would be doing their acceptance speech right now!! :angry:

The moral of the story...stick to your guns and perservere..and dont accept no for an answer!

And how is it now afther 6 moths of driving with a new BLOCK ??

Wow this is a real shame. I used to have a 95 plate corolla GLi and all that went wrong was one indicator light blew and the car Battery died. None of this oil burning issue. I was going to purchase a 2002 1.6 VVTI T-spirit with 36k on the clock but after reading this thread I have changed my mind. Thats a real shame and I am very surprised that this is a known issue for such a "reliable" car. Disappointed now :crybaby:

• 4 months later...

And how is it now afther 6 moths of driving with a new BLOCK ??

Hi G6-R

Its been almost a year and so far the oil level has hardly moved....a resounding success I think! :thumbsup:

You could try to drive the car till its consuming 1l every 1000miles and let the car in Maintance by the dealer so when its consuming a liter oil they have to change the underblock under warenty , because its a nown problem by these engines

G6-R is Right , this is known problem,......

They must inspect the engine(I think -> cylinder bore geometry...), ....and there are few solutions(sometimes just new piston rings(new material->more flexible,....).

Hurry up, this is your(car) last year under warranty(or maybe not???? :( )

This a known and common problem across the range. If the car consumes more than

one liter per 1000 miles they will have to fix it, the fix being to replace the block.

I am not telling you to do it but it has been know to happen that more than 1 liter is consumed between checks

I didn't know there was a problem with this model, as i have the same model.

I did wonder why i got a bottle of oil on my last service, but never thought about it, and so stuffed the bottle in the garage.

My car is due for it's next service, so i'll wonder if the same thing comes up again...

Will keep you posted....

That is a sales gimmick. They sell it to you at their price and it just racks up the total on the invoice. Helps them to make their monthly figures (especially when they have to keep replacing blocks under warranty)

I moaned about this on my wife's 'rolla and they said if I didn't use it they would refund. I got back the cost of the oil plus the interest on the overcharged amount when it went in for the next service.

• 7 months later...

I know this is a well documented topic,but is there a dependable build date after which problems with engine blocks and cracked cylinder heads causing excessive oil consumption were totally overcome in the production of new Corollas.

I am considering buying a 2004 1.6VVTi auto and would appreciate info on this or any other known problems to we aware of.

Desmond

• 2 years later...

So abit of a rewind...

On the Redex....

Is it still working?

My car is bang on 1k per 1litre. 2001 FULL Toyota history i.e. 10 stamps and 1 owner from new with every extra including paint treatment.

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

I am not from UK, but my Corolla 1.6 3ZZ-FE ZZE-121L is been made in UK.

For now my car is not affected (yet?) by problem of exagerate oil consumation.

Car (2003) has 50000 Km and have an excellent consumation of oil: only 300ml every 10000 Km.

I not read enterely this topic, (also because English is not my mother language), and I not understood yet if:

1) I am simply lucky to not have the problem.

2) I will must simply wait next years to see the problem.

3) I can now feel comfortable in the near future, because it is' sure that I'll have no problem.

You may get the problem at some point but you also may never get it. There are 2002, 2003, 2004 corollas running without any problem and have passed the 100.000km.

The problem was faulty pistons. The 1st generation pistons had only a few oil distribution holes (only 4) and so the oil could not be distributed adequately with result to burn an amount of it after certain kilometers.

In the newer corollas, TOYOTA has replaced the faulty pistons with new ones that have 8 oil distribution holes, and that solved the problem.

This problem was the same for 1.4 (4zzfe), 1.6 (3zzfe) and 1.8 (1zzfe) vvti engines.

At least in Greece where I am from, TOYOTA extends the 6 years warranty by one more year for the specific problem and replaces the engine block (which might have suffered damage) and the pistons/piston rings with the new ones, however, only if you can prove that you have the problem. And this is done by going to TOYOTA to measure your oil level for 2-3 times between 1.000 kilometer intervals, and if they see that the oil level is dropping significanlty, then they proceed to order the new block.

So, if at some time you ever get an oil burning problem (I hope you never do) you have the following options (according to my opinion).

1) If the car is within warranty, you visit the local dealer and see if they will undertake to replace the block and pistons.

2) If the car is out of warranty, then you must go to a mechanic to check your engine block liners (to see that they have not become oval-shaped from the oilburning) and in case they are in good condition, you just replace your pistons/piston rings with the new-improved ones. If the problem is small, then you can just keep the car as it is but be a little more careful when changing oil (check the oil level more regularly or use a more thick oil etc).

3) If your liners are damaged... and the problem deteriorates, then you should look for a new engine.