Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question For Yaris Diesel Owners

dieselman

:) I have a 04 T3 yaris diesel just over a year, it has 5,000 miles on the clock.

I use millers diesel Power Plus and esso fuel, can you tell me if the engine will be 'bedded' in now?

Thank-you

5,000 miles on any engine and it's past it's initial break-in period, if that's what you're asking.

Not sure what you mean by 'bedded in'

Your engine still has some miles to go before it will reach maximum fuel economy and smoothness, but it is safe to drive it aggressively now.

Hope that helps. :)

Yeah I should think it would be "bedded-in" fine by now! Although I bought mine used so I really wouldn't know TBH lol :D

AlanBradley may be able to help you on this one... :)

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for a few days.

Its funny you should ask this, because I was driving my parents' Yaris over the weekend. It has only covered about 2,000km and I found it noticibly tighter than my much newer 8,500mile one.

The book says 1,000km or 620miles as a "run in" period but I've noticed that they are still very "tight" until about 5-6,000miles as the engine really gets settled.

What I'm trying to say is that the engine is "bedded in" and you can treat it harder (holding the revs, etc.) without worry, but the engine will continue to loosen up for a while yet.

I hope that helps,

A

I use millers diesel Power Plus

dieselman.

WHY?

Unless any one else can come up with a really good reason..

With the modern oils and fuels, I dont think we really need this.

When changing your engine oil, use a good brand and a high quality oil.

Something like . Comma Eurodeisel. This is a Semi synthetic oil, more than good enough for the engine.

Most pour in additives are already in the engine oil, so you dont really need any more.

Just change the oil regually.

Comma Oils had a help line a while ago. Dont know if its still in opperation.

You can always e.mail them, and they will put your mind at rest.

Millers diesel plus contains combustion improvers, detergent and lubricity additive.

given that most fuels for cost reasons only have a keep clean dose of additive a bit extra certainly would not hurt.

On the original question your diesel engine will continue to loosen up over the next

10k miles or so.

Mines coming up on 3000 miles now, and has loosened noticeably over the last 1000 miles. Fuel consumtion continues to improve, first tankful (from 0 miles) a poor 45 mpg, last tankful an fairly impressive 58mpg (I always go brim to brim, so it's pretty, accurate), and am hopeful of breaking the 60mpg barrier next time! Mind you, with the weather warmimg up, the A/C is now on quite a bit, so that will no doubt knock the MPG back a bit.

So, what do others get in the way of diesel MPG, and any guesses as to how much A/C takes off? My guess is that if used constantly, the A/C would knock up to 10% off the overall figure. I'm working on 5% with intermittent use, so 58MPG is actually just over 60 if you take that into account.

I've covered 9000 miles in 6 months in my d-4d. I can't say I've noticed any difference over the time I've had it. I just took great care for the first 1000 miles. Fuel economy has remained constant too (55-70mpg according to journey type).

The main factor affecting performance seems to be engine temperature. When it's cold it seems to be all torque and not that much power but it's great once it's warmed up.

Just make sure your footwell mat is not obstructing the accelerator pedal, as I found out!

No aircon in mine so Ican't comment on that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links