Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt - Corolla 1.6

ralph

A quick query - I have recently bought a 1.6 Corolla. Its coming up to its 5th birthday and has done just 37,000 miles.

I've booked it in for its 36,000 mile service at my local Toyota dealer. The dealer has suggested a timing belt change (based on age, rather than the 60,000 mile interval).

Since the car is likely to only do about 6-8,000 miles a year I'm very tempted to leave the timing belt change for next year. [i've been quoted about £150, which on top of the £260 necessary service and £40 MOT would make a rather large bill!]

I'd appreciate any guidance on whether the timing belt change based on a 5 year interval is really recommended.

Hello ralph,

This is hugely debatable issue so I won't say yes or no.

Basically the timing belt will deteriorate whenever the engine is running. So, to give you an extreme example, if the person kept the engine running without going anywhere for few years, the mileage will be zero, but the timing belt is still wearing out.

Therefore, cars that do low mileage typically sits in the traffic for much longer than say the car which is on the motorway at constant speed so the life of the timing belt for cars that do low mileage will be much shorter in terms of mileage. The life of timing belt differs depending on how you drive and the climate so I would say, the dealer is doing the right thing in advising you the change at 5 years.

I will let you make your own conclusion whether to replace it or not. :yes:

• 8 months later...

: : hi..Ralph..to be on the safe side CHANGE THE BELT

WITH THE AMOUNT OF MILEAGE ON YOUR CAR ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME!!IF IT DOSE SNAP YOU WILL HAVE A BIG

PROBLEM,YOU WILL BE LOOKING AT A ENGINE REBUILD :ffs: SO FOR THE SAKE OF £150

why dont you change the belt yourself! its not that hard

just make sure that the engine is a T.D.C :eek: that top dead center..remove the time case cover make sure that

the timeing marks a in line releace the tensioner and remove the belt and replace with the new belt,

when you refit the tensinoer make sure that on the longest side of the belt the is about three qt of ins play

relplace the cover job done,price of belt about £25 B)

nice to see that there is another name sake :D

cheers,From

Ralph :thumbsup:

So what if an engine is not run for 5 years. literally. Would a belt change still be in order?

I would DEFINATELY change the belt in those circumstances. A timing belt fixed in one position all that time is more likely to suffer a failure in my opinion.

Best to fork out a few quid rather than pay for a top-end rebuild :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links