Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Light Headache

alex e

The passenger side light of my Toyota Carina E has gone and I have tried without success to change the bulb. Feeling dejected took it to my "mechanic" dad-in-law who couldn't figure it out either - frustrating, but at least made me feel less inadequate! Can anyone shed any light on the matter.

Alex

• 9 months later...

Alex, although a long time ago, wonder how you managed to resolve as I have same issue. Have Haynes manual which says remove connector, and twist back of light to access, but does not twist. How did you achieve this in the end pls?

Regards,

Stephen.

The passenger side light of my Toyota Carina E has gone and I have tried without success to change the bulb. Feeling dejected took it to my "mechanic" dad-in-law who couldn't figure it out either - frustrating, but at least made me feel less inadequate! Can anyone shed any light on the matter.

Alex

Are you replacing the side light on the driver's side or passenger side?

Drivers side

HAYNES guidance is incorrect - (Page 12.5) point 12. The coolant expansion tank is 'clipped' onto its mounting bracket. A sharp upward tug will remove it.

Passenger side.

Best to remove the Battery.

I presume you are refering to point 13? - "Twist the sidelight bulbholder...."

The sidelight bulbholder is the item being held in photo 5.13. A 1/4 anti-clockwise twist is required. The illustration shows that the headlight connector has already been removed (this will give better access to the sidelight wiring).

It will twist. The only thing keeping it in place is the rubber 'O' ring as shown on the photo.

Thanks Gazza.

It is the passenger side, so not coolant tank issue, but your comment on the battery removal helps a lot because I cannot get my hand in the space or even see very much. I will give it a go tomorrow, and thank for you your help. See the photo indicates both connectors removed, does the one of the LHS (5.13) pull out like the one on the right, as I tried to remove earlier and not playing the game.

Stephen.

Are you replacing the side light on the driver's side or passenger side?

Drivers side

HAYNES guidance is incorrect - (Page 12.5) point 12. The coolant expansion tank is 'clipped' onto its mounting bracket. A sharp upward tug will remove it.

Passenger side.

Best to remove the battery.

I presume you are refering to point 13? - "Twist the sidelight bulbholder...."

The sidelight bulbholder is the item being held in photo 5.13. A 1/4 anti-clockwise twist is required. The illustration shows that the headlight connector has already been removed (this will give better access to the sidelight wiring).

It will twist. The only thing keeping it in place is the rubber 'O' ring as shown on the photo.

Stephen

Removing the Battery really is the only option!!

Re 5.13

The connector missing from the grey disc is for the headlights. (if you need to get in there you need to twist the plastic surround anti-clockwise until it comes off. Then pull the rubber boot off giving access to the wire cage holding the light fitment in place.)

The white tube-like item being held is the side-light bulb holder. This is removed from the hole which is at 8 o'clock on the grey disc. You need to twist is about 1/4 turn anti-clockwise to free it from its seating.

Gazza

gazza,

Much appreciated. Will do tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again,

Stephen.

Stephen

Removing the battery really is the only option!!

Re 5.13

The connector missing from the grey disc is for the headlights. (if you need to get in there you need to twist the plastic surround anti-clockwise until it comes off. Then pull the rubber boot off giving access to the wire cage holding the light fitment in place.)

The white tube-like item being held is the side-light bulb holder. This is removed from the hole which is at 8 o'clock on the grey disc. You need to twist is about 1/4 turn anti-clockwise to free it from its seating.

Gazza

Job done this weekend. Thanks for advice. Just managed to get my hand in there by removing Battery bracket, and pushing Battery back a bit, but very tight. If terminals not so corroded, would have removed Battery, but as part exchanging soon, thought best to leave alone. Lights should be right though.

Stephen.

gazza,

Much appreciated. Will do tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again,

Stephen.

Stephen

Removing the battery really is the only option!!

Re 5.13

Gazza

If you're talking about the side indicator next to the headlight there's another trick ;)

Just remove the unit itself, it's held in place with one screw (on top of the headlight can't miss), than just pull forward (one plastic plug still holding it, just pull) if never removed you might pull harder.

This way you have super access to everything and you can see what you're doing :D