Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aargh Head Gasket Please Help

robobobo

Hi Everyone :D

I am travelling new zealand in A Hiace 86 2l Diesel with my girlfriend Philippa. Yesterday i had overheating problems and deamed it to be due to a lack of coolant in the system, however the reservoir said the system was full. I drained the radiator and the reservoir is still full so i guess there is a blockage in the system, i also blew air at pressure into the reservoir with the radiator cap off and nothing would budge.

This was just the start of my problems..........

Due to the severe overheating my head gasket is cracked/cracking :crybaby: and the van began spewing out white smoke like merlin. I have blocked the leak with some sealant and it seams to have done the trick :huh: . Fingers crossed, but if the worst happens can anyone tell me how big a job it is for me to change the head gasket(is it harder on a diesal) which i can pick up pretty cheap here at 30 dollers (14 quid). I am pretty handy with a spanner but have not dealt with a head gasket before.

We are currently living in the van but should have a flat and driveway for a bit to make things easier. Thanks for your time and any much appreciated advice you can offer.

Robin + Phil

I did a HG on a Hiace quite a few years ago and it is not what i would class a easy job, and if you are a novice to removing cylinder heads i would leave well alone and get a mechanic to do it.

Best of Luck :thumbsup:

It might not be a case of just replacing the gasket though

If it's got as hot as you say there is a good chance that the cylinder head will be distorted, if that's the case it will blow again unless you get the head checked out :(

If you do manage to strip it down then you will need the Torque settings and head bolt sequence.

Here you go :thumbsup:

gallery_1627_28_1115659606.jpg

Get a mechanic, safer than DIY if it all goes wrong and your life depends on it.

You might need to skim (machine down) where the HG sits (head more likely) if it's warped -- with luck it's not necessary, but a pro can find that out for you. Edge of a steel ruler and torch for desperados. Torque wrench also handy -- in fact, unless things have changed you might need to re-torque a while down the road to keep things tight. No big deal.

If you want to take the risk it's easy enough to open up, place new gasket and retighten. If no warp, chances are it works. BUT, my experience from the past tells me that a quick DIY HG on a potentially warped block won't get you further than 5,000 miles before you have to do it again. And again.

In conclusion, you could probably do a cheap quick fix yourself to get going, but I'm not sure how far it would carry you. Better safe than sorry or enough to tide you by?

On the other hand, and as you say, the HG itself is cheap, and if you have the time and the manual and it's a sunny day, why not? It's an experience. Just keep a close eye on things afterwards. Do you feel rich or lucky?

If you do manage to strip it down then you will need the Torque settings and head bolt sequence.

Here you go :thumbsup:

gallery_1627_28_1115659606.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links