Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Timing Chain Noise

andy_c_in_da_house

I have a 3 year old toyota yaris its a 1.0 vvti engine, it has suddenlly developed a noise in the engine, it seems to be timing chain rattle, i have had a mechanic check it for me and he agrees, also i have serached the internet for help and found an article on the honest john website that says it is a known fault on the yaris, i am after some help on how to fix it, i will be doing it myself and would like some advice, does anyone have a manual for one of these, if not does anyone have any hints or tips, i guess it is the tensoiner that has failed as the car has only done 40000 miles. any help gratefully received andy C

Hi Andy,

I'm not too sure about the actual mechanics, although I'm sure it won't be long before an expert (Yves?) turns up

If you look at the topp of this forum there's a link to the workshop. In there are copies of the Workshop Manual for the Yaris Verso there. Maybe someone can tell you if it would be pretty much the same for the "standard" Yaris?

Not sure if that's much help...

Alan

What's the "known fault" though? Just the noise itself or is there a description of the problem causing it?

On the surface it sounds like it could be the tensioner or it could just be that that motor design happens to have a noisy t-chain. Many do. One of the reasons timing belts are used on many cars (besides saving money in manufacture) is because they are quieter.

Can you try to describe the sound as precisely as possible? Is it a fine, fast 'clinking' or is is an intermittent chattering?

The guides for the chain can wear down (not at 40k though,usually 80k+ :blink: ) or the tensioner is faulty(dunno how though) :thumbsup:

And another thing. Is it all the time or just when you start it? It could be something worse like the chain is not getting any oil ! :thumbsup:

And another thing. Is it all the time or just when you start it? It could be something worse like the chain is not getting any oil ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help so far, i am told that it is timing chain noise, although the noise goes away above 3000 rpm ( roughly) then the engine is quiet, when the revs drop again the noise returns, it is a chain noise, sounds like a mettalic jangling noise, a mechanic has listened to it and comfirmed timing chain noise, as far as the known fault, they are refering to the chain tensoiner i beleive.

Thanks for all the help so far, i am told that it is timing chain noise, although the noise goes away above 3000 rpm ( roughly) then the engine is quiet, when the revs drop again the noise returns, it is a chain noise, sounds like a mettalic jangling noise, a mechanic has listened to it and comfirmed timing chain noise, as far as the known fault, they are refering to the chain tensoiner i beleive.

Hi,

A mate at work had the timing chain and tensioner replaced at the local Toyota garage on his Yaris.

The total bill was £400.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1

Hi,

A mate at work had the timing chain and tensioner replaced at the local Toyota garage on his Yaris.

The total bill was £400.

Yours, Mike.

Have had the rocker cover off tonight, it looks as if the chain is loose on the sprockets, but it certainly looks as though its getting enough oil, so dont think there is a starvation problem, also it looks like a hell of a job, can see how the toyota garage would charge £400 for the job. will have to see what other replies i get on this post before the weekend, then will have to make a decision on doing the job myself, or getttin a local toyota dealer to do it, has anyone on here got a good toyota dealer to reccomend, i am in cambridgeshire, 20 mins from cambridge

• 1 year later...
Hi,

The total bill was £400.

Yours, Mike.

Have had the rocker cover off tonight, it looks as if the chain is loose on the sprockets, but it certainly looks as though its getting enough oil, so dont think there is a starvation problem, also it looks like a hell of a job, can see how the toyota garage would charge £400 for the job. will have to see what other replies i get on this post before the weekend, then will have to make a decision on doing the job myself, or getttin a local toyota dealer to do it, has anyone on here got a good toyota dealer to reccomend, i am in cambridgeshire, 20 mins from cambridge

Newbie here asking a related question.

If you have a noisy timing chain is it because the servicing schedules have been missed....wrong type of oil used or neglect from a previous owner (if applicable)?

I ask because I'm torn between a Yaris and a Micra. The Yaris would be my prefered choice being a Toyota fan.

Cheers

Steve

DUde!! make sure it's not the alternator belt, mine does a stupid squeek sometimes too, altough it seems metallic sound, it's the alternator belt!! I also thought it was the the chain, took it to the garage, the mechanic gave a spin with it, also thought it might be the chain, but afterall it's the belt! Just thigthen it and it goes off :) Cumps!

Steve,

I've got both a yaris and a micra.

i'd say get the yaris :thumbsup: if your looking at the new shape micra

nissan are having a few problems with it, mainly electrical.

kimi xx

Some Yaris timing chains have been known to be faulty. In fact I think they maybe modified chain guides avalible for them. Changing the chain and tensioners is quite a job for the DIY mechanic. And the VVTi actuator is sooo easy to bust if not fitted back with care. Seen a few respected spannamen do the job to have the engine light come on shortly after - caused by a damaged VVTi actuator. Be careful... :o

• 9 months later...

I am a new T-reg 1.0 GLS owner. I've had the motor for 3 weeks now and the valve/chain rattling is not easing, as the guy at the main stealers said it might.

Is this gonna cause long term damage if I continue to drive?

How much should it cost me to repair?

Can it be done DIY? and if so, how long?

In anticipation!!

Worked on a few yaris at work that were the timing chains have stretched or the tensioner not working.

Not too sure on prices as for replacement but its pretty straight forward if you've done a few.

I would say it is do'able DIY (well i could do it but, i guess working on them everyday makes it easier)

To acces requires... removing - airbox,cam cover,aux belt,undertray, engine mount, crank pulley (usually v tight) timing cover etc etc

Refitting the chain is quite easy, its all done with gold coloured links on the chain and dots on the sprockets.

Mart

is the car just out of warranty does it have a full service record ring Toyota GB you may get something towards repair bill if you take it to a Toyota dealer

• 5 months later...

Still making a racket, and seems to be getting noisier.

Am I doing any long term damage?

Should I be saving my christmas pennies for the inevitable repair?

Still making a racket, and seems to be getting noisier.

Am I doing any long term damage?

Should I be saving my christmas pennies for the inevitable repair?

If it was the main dealer who sold you the car, get 'em to fix it!

They are legally obliged to sell a vehicle that is 'of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose intended' a faulty chain is not 'of merchantable quality' nor could it be 'fit for the purpose intended' as you intend to drive it, not have it break down after a few miles, due to chain snapping.

If you got it privately, you still have some rights but they are much harder to proove/enforce. If the seller knew about the fault and you actually ASKED if there was any faults, they are liable as this is fraud. If you did not ask, they had no legal obligation to tell you anything!

The onus is on the buyer to ask, same as you ask if it has been in a crash etc. If a seller lies, you can sue them.

Most people forget to ask or they just pay for any repairs themselves. think of it like this, if you KNEW it had a fault, would you A) walk away... B) ask them to rectify it before you buy... or C) knock off some of the asking price, to pay to fix it.

Hope you get sorted,

Gar.

This is just a thought but check your water pump ive heard a lot about the bearings in them going and this makes a noise, eventually the pump will fail too if the bearings arent replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 3 year old toyota yaris its a 1.0 vvti engine, it has suddenlly developed a noise in the engine, it seems to be timing chain rattle, i have had a mechanic check it for me and he agrees, also i have serached the internet for help and found an article on the honest john website that says it is a known fault on the yaris, i am after some help on how to fix it, i will be doing it myself and would like some advice, does anyone have a manual for one of these, if not does anyone have any hints or tips, i guess it is the tensoiner that has failed as the car has only done 40000 miles. any help gratefully received andy C

hi!

i dont think thats the timing chain... i mentioned my yaris having a squeeking noise from around the cambelt/ timing belt region and the dealer told me it was a timing chain.

they said that the belt tensioners are known for going though...

if it's the same then it's a really annoying intermitant squeeking noise which disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed

write back

A Grainger

My 60,000 mile X-reg 2000 1.0 Yaris has had a "rattle" from the timing chain at idle and low revs for a while.

My mechanic cousin reckoned i was just a gunged up oil feed to the belt tensioner.

He told me to use one of those "flushing oils" to flush out all the built up gunge in the oil pipeways at the next oil change.

I did that and then used a good fully-synthetic 10-30 oil as a replacement and the noise has totally gone.

I too thought I'd be replacing timing chain tensioners and /or the chain itself and it wass just a partially blocked oilway - and before you ask, I've had the car from new and its always been serviced to schedule with good oil.

He reckons thjat over six years and 60,000 miles you always get a build up of oil deposits that can partially block some of the narrowest oilways.

The noise was worst when the oil was cold & think and got quieter when it was warm and thin - which was when it could get through the oilway better.

Also, it was worse when I used a 10/40 oil instead of a 10/30. As both are fine for UK temperatures, I'll be using a fully synthetic 10/30 again next time....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links