Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Backlash?

Tawse57

No but only have a little RAV :)

Did think about it when I went to London on bank hols but never had any hassle ...

Is a worry though - not only is it the usual supermarket nutters (door and trolley bashing) that you have to look out for but now there may be the odd eco warrier around too :ph34r:

they wouldn't dare round here as this is farmer country and chelsea tractors are everywhere.

My personal opinion on them people is they need to get a life and get out more as most of them are people who are not happy with there sad little lives and want something to moan about.

Have any of you had any 4x4 backlash from the anti 4x4 brigade?

If they like I'll go back to my old Mitsubishi Gallant; it took up more space on the road and (being 12 years old) gave out a lot more of the smelly stuff the eco brigate don't like. :D

jonbr - this is well put - and exactly the kind of reasoned case they are ignoring when they have a pop at 4x4's ...

I've owned both a Landcruiser and a Hilux 4x4 and used them both for what they were designed to do.

That said, I have no problem with people who are against using large fuel guzzling 4x4's as daily transport to work and around the city and never leave the pavement. That's just stupidity. They belong in the countryside doing what they do best, not obstructing everyones view on the motorway and taking up more parking area than they deserve, fouling the air and wasting resources just so the owner can massage his/her ego and intimidate others in more sensible cars.

And this is coming from a former, and proably future 4x4 owner.

But I do my city driving in this

<--------------------------------

jonbr - this is well put - and exactly the kind of reasoned case they are ignoring when they have a pop at 4x4's ...

:thumbsup: I have noticed over the many years of owning and driving 4x4's ,that due to the nature of 4x4's, High centre of gravity and not very good turning circles, etc, etc, etc, That many 4x4 drivers are far more safety conscious and courteous than other road users :thumbsup:

True but we still get the odd such an incredibly beautiful persont round here - only last week I was driving down our road and was faced with a bigger 4x4 on my side (going round a parked car even though I had right of way) - obviously on the assumption I would give way - which I obviously did !!

Annoyed me that he did it - even more so that it was a big 4x4 bullying their way along at speed in a residential area - me having a (little) 4x4 - can easily see how drivers of normal cars can be angered ...

You are right though - you do become aware of the size and drive with more care.

True but we still get the odd such an incredibly beautiful persont round here - only last week I was driving down our road and was faced with a bigger 4x4 on my side (going round a parked car even though I had right of way) - obviously on the assumption I would give way - which I obviously did !!

I had the same thing happen to me the other day, but it was by a lady in a small saloon car! I have also found, since getting my XT4 last year, that more people cut me up and try to race in front of me from traffic lights. They seem to think that because I drive a 4x4 I'm slower thean they are and that gives them to right do what ever they want and blow what I might be doing :censor:

Oh, forgot to say (on topic) that there are many Mercs and Jaguars that take up more road space and have much bigger engines (more emitions) than RAV's but you dont see the green brigate getting up in arms about those. And what about all the fumes from lorries, etc. oh forgot - the greens like those because they deliver their vegitarian organic food :D

hmmmm.

This is nothing worse or better about 4x4 in cities. It is all aload of nonsense by the 'Jealous' brigade who used to hate people with mobile phones as it proved they were well off. Even worse, yuppies were young. How dare you be doing well and young !! No wonder this countries' manufacturing is going down the plughole as we discourage achievement!

London is full of VANs, Buses, cabs and coaches. There is plenty of room on London's roads for these vehicles and 4x4s are much smaller. My last 4x4 was a nissan xtrail with a 2 litre engine and low fuel consumption. My new car is a Land Cruiser with a 3 litre diesel and lower fuel consumption then my xtrail. It has better fuel consumption then most BMW, Mercedes and Jaguars and other luxury saloons. It can carry 8 people at higher efficiency then alot of people carriers like the Chrysler Voyager. It has a smaller road footprint then many estate cars and big cars like the mercedes SL.

People who rail against 4x4s are 'IQ challenged' and it upsets me that this type of person, who can't cope with empirical evidence, are allowed to vote!

OK, I'm going to look at this logically and see how many of the reasons I used to get rid of my old Mitsubishi and get my XT4 are eco friendly :D

1) My XT4 uses less fuel :)

2) My XT4 gives out less emissions :)

3) My XT4 is safer for pedestrians if I hit one :)

4) My XT4 is safer for me and my family in an accident :)

5) A larger portion of my XT4 can be recycled when I've finished with it :)

6) Being a larger car, I don't drive my XT4 as hard, thus saving extra fuel :)

7) Being a larger car, I don't drive my XT4 as hard, thus giving out less emissions :)

8) Being a larger car, I don't drive my XT4 as hard, thus reducing the number of times I have to get new tyres :)

OK, so thats 8 :) and no :( and that's with out really thinking about it.

And before they ask, less injury in an accident is good for the environment cos you don't need so much treatment on the NHS to put you back together saving electriciy, bandages, drugs, drub wrapping etc, etc, etc..... :P

So, just let them try and give me some backlash and I'll gladley shut them up. And before any one asks, yes I do recycle most of my house hold rubbish - even though my local council provides hardly any services for doing so - but thats for another forum :D

and another thing:

"The protest follows increasing division in the scientific community regarding climate change. Professor David Bellamy has been particularly outspoken in his refusal to accept the arguments for man made climate change, citing it as a natural occurrence. In a keynote speech to the scientific community in January this year he stated: “Global warming is a largely natural phenomenon. The world is wasting stupendous amounts of money on trying to fix something that can’t be fixed.”

We are talking about people with extremely low IQ here!

hmmmm.

This is nothing worse or better about 4x4 in cities. It is all aload of nonsense by the 'Jealous' brigade who used to hate people with mobile phones as it proved they were well off. Even worse, yuppies were young. How dare you be doing well and young !! No wonder this countries' manufacturing is going down the plughole as we discourage achievement!

London is full of VANs, Buses, cabs and coaches. There is plenty of room on London's roads for these vehicles and 4x4s are much smaller. My last 4x4 was a nissan xtrail with a 2 litre engine and low fuel consumption. My new car is a Land Cruiser with a 3 litre diesel and lower fuel consumption then my xtrail. It has better fuel consumption then most BMW, Mercedes and Jaguars and other luxury saloons. It can carry 8 people at higher efficiency then alot of people carriers like the Chrysler Voyager. It has a smaller road footprint then many estate cars and big cars like the mercedes SL.

People who rail against 4x4s are 'IQ challenged' and it upsets me that this type of person, who can't cope with empirical evidence, are allowed to vote!

A larger 4x4 is not sensible city and in town transportation and it most certainly pollutes more, takes up more room and definitely obstructs the view of other drivers and puts them at more risk because you selfishly choose to drive a vehicle that weighs 2-3 times as much as an average car. You aren't on safari in Kenya, you're driving to work. Forget the 'IQ' challenged nonsense, people who feel they must drive a large 4x4 in the city/town are insecure and challeneged in a different part of their anatomy.

Vans, buses, cabs and coaches all serve a purpose that could not otherwise be filled by a socially responsible commuter car. I'm sure your Land Cruiser can carry 8. When was the last time it was seen with anything more than you and a breifcase in it though? :rolleyes:

I had the same thing happen to me the other day, but it was by a lady in a small saloon car! I have also found, since getting my XT4 last year, that more people cut me up and try to race in front of me from traffic lights. They seem to think that because I drive a 4x4 I'm slower thean they are and that gives them to right do what ever they want and blow what I might be doing :censor:

Oh, forgot to say (on topic) that there are many Mercs and Jaguars that take up more road space and have much bigger engines (more emitions) than RAV's but you dont see the green brigate getting up in arms about those. And what about all the fumes from lorries, etc. oh forgot - the greens like those because they deliver their vegitarian organic food :D

I don't think a RAV4 could possibly make anyone angry.

I don't even consider that a 4x4 anymore than a Subaru is. It's essentially a small car and has really none of the negative impact of the larger SUV's.

Scionic said:

A larger 4x4 is not sensible city and in town transportation and it most certainly pollutes more, takes up more room and definitely obstructs the view of other drivers and puts them at more risk because you selfishly choose to drive a vehicle that weighs 2-3 times as much as an average car. You aren't on safari in Kenya, you're driving to work. Forget the 'IQ' challenged nonsense, people who feel they must drive a large 4x4 in the city/town are insecure and challeneged in a different part of their anatomy.

Vans, buses, cabs and coaches all serve a purpose that could not otherwise be filled by a socially responsible commuter car. I'm sure your Land Cruiser can carry 8. When was the last time it was seen with anything more than you and a breifcase in it though? :rolleyes:

I say:

Hi Scionic,

A US poster. I though you guys all drove 6 litre vehicles.

A few things you might like to note:

1. The Landcruiser sold in the US is different from the one sold in the UK (which isn't available in the US). In the US the car sold as the Landcruiser is called the Landcruiser Amazon in the UK. I don't have this car.

2. The car I have is a 3litre diesel. It has better fuel consumption then the 2 litre I used to drive. It also has better fuel consumption then most of the Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars (and others) on the road, namely 38mpg@50 and 30mpg in town.

3. The car is always full of stuff. I have a family !!!

4. I rarely drive in London except on the occasional weekend when we go for walks down the river

5. I take the train in to work every day in london. Neither myself or my wife ever drives into work. FYI London is the biggest city in Europe and the biggest in the world by populace outside China. It also has a massive surface area. Put it this way, London is split into 20-30 boroughs. A borough like Camden is bugger then Manahattan.

6. The LC takes much less room then most estates, and all the vans, cabs and buses that London is full off. Saying you can't see over it is quick a stupid red herring.

7. I don't have a briefcase, I take an Addidas rucksack into work. We don't wear suits where I work.

8. I never mix s*x and anything else, except holidays. People that do normally have issues.

So basically you are talking a load of £$"£!. Although I am sure you are a jolly nice person if I met you socially.

rgds

c.

Fair enough.

You have what they call the Land Cruiser "Prado" in some countries then?

Thank you for the civil response, I stand corrected (somewhat)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links