Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Corolla = Ctr?

vanillaice

Hi,

Just wondering which of the current Rolla's would be closest match to a Honda Civic Type - R. Mate has just bought one and I'm not happy.

Envy is a terrible thing :thumbsup:

ICE

Corolla T Sport is nearest rival but Civic type R is deamed a superior Hot Hatch (some say at present Civic Type R is the best hot hatch, even better than Focus RS).

Also some people are saying that CTR is actually the car that Toyota, not Honda should have made as is the 'Modern Day' Corolla GTi..... if you can work that statement out ;)

Corolla T Sport is nearest rival but Civic type R is deamed a superior Hot Hatch (some say at present Civic Type R is the best hot hatch, even better than Focus RS).

CTR has better performance but the CTS is a better all-rounder (and has more creature comforts) - depends what you mean by "superior" I suppose.

Also some people are saying that CTR is actually the car that Toyota, not Honda should have made as is the 'Modern Day' Corolla GTi..... if you can work that statement out ;)

Yep, I guess that will all change when the 225 CTS comes out (me want one!! :drool: )

I watched Fifth Gear on Channel 5 on Monday,and Tiff Needell did a lap in a Civic Type R and Clio 182. The Type R did the fastest lap,Tiff described the car as having the best brakes,handling and gearbox he has seen in a hot hatch. The handling is great as it went around one corner with no problems whereas the Clio 182 was out of shape.

Toyota are supposed to be releasing a 225 bhp version of t sport with compressor,later this year, I know the car is be released in Germany but not sure if it is coming to UK and if it does there might be limited numbers.

Not even in the same class IMO.

If you want a close match to a Civic Type R, you'll have to buy a Corolla T sport and modify the crap out of it and it still won't be a CTR.

Just get a CTR. It's the better car. :yes:

Just get a CTR. It's the better car. :yes:

Like I said - depends what you mean by "better". I looked at the CTR before I bought my CTS.

The performance and handling on the CTR is definitely better but the costs, comfort, and overall package is better on the CTS ... well, it suited my needs better anyway (that's why I bought one!). IMO the performance on the CTS isn't bad and the car doesn't look like a boy racer or rice mobile.

The CTR seems to have a bit of a bad reputation where I live (possibly due to a minority of CTR owners who treat the roads like a racetrack). I just thought if I bought a CTR everyone would think I was going through some mid-life crisis or something!!

Fmrl Posted Today, 09:51 AM

The CTR seems to have a bit of a bad reputation where I live (possibly due to a minority of CTR owners who treat the roads like a racetrack). I just thought if I bought a CTR everyone would think I was going through some mid-life crisis or something!!

Yes thats a good point :yes: . Starting to get the same reputation as Subaru Imprezzas

Having done a direct comparison between my cts and several ctr's, the cts is no match for the ctr standard, the ctr is simply a much more focused machine out of the box, spend some money like i did on coilovers and wheels and tyres and you will be faster, considerably faster on the corners, but at a cost, the car will be compromised in terms of comfort, and an equally sorted ctr would level the playing field again.

This post has come up in different forms many many time over the years, but like said above it comes to down to facts, figures, the size of your wallet, and you personal preference of build quality.

That said, Civics hold there value well, have scope for quite easy engine mods (supercharger conversion kits)! and are quicker as standard than any currently available, current model range corolla (in a straightline drag)

corsol Posted Today, 09:35 AM

I like new OPEL ASTRA II GTC ............

:yes: Was mentioned at a car club meet last night apparantly latest version of perfomance Astra is believed to be quite something

Who cares what reputation they have? you buy something because you like it, not because others dont.

Who cares what reputation they have? you buy something because you like it, not because others dont.

Because you'll attract the wrong sort of attention. For example, my mate bought a Scooby RB special a couple of years ago - he got sick of all the saxo/nova/xr2 types always trying to race him. etc. so he ended up having to sell it after only a few months.

Fully agree with FMRL. Bought the CTS because its a fast, low profile car. Would have bought the CTR if I wanted something to scream out "I am a fast car".

P.S. Having driven both of them, I do believe that how fast you go depends more on the driver than the car....

...And another point... The Corolla T Sports that are offered for sale on dealer Forecourts seem to be in better condition than a Civic Type R (Type R's all seem to have 'kerbed' alloys, scuffed fron bumpers and general condition gives impression as if the previous owner never cleaned 'em properely) of the same age and millage. Well in Telford area where I live it seems that way.