Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Seen Any 1970's Celica's Lately?

SeekingCelicaRA28

Was just wondering, after a long hiatus from the forum, if anyone has seen any 1970 Celica's for sale/in need of a bit of TLC?

With a bit of time and money soon to be had on my hands, i've decided to renew my quest to own and care for one of these beauties! So, any sightings?

Matt

Was just  wondering, after a long hiatus from the forum, if anyone has seen any 1970 Celica's for sale/in need of a bit of TLC?

With a bit of time and money soon to be had on my hands, i've decided to renew my quest to own and care for one of these beauties! So, any sightings?

Matt

I have an RA28 and a TA22 Shell which I am currently building up, neither have homes to go to when they're finished....

Let me know if you're interested.

Certainly am! Particularly the RA28. Love those mustang-esque looks.

Recently finished helping my mate restore his mkII Golf and would love to own one of these motors. Have just fallen in love with their exterior stylings!

You got any pictures of either of the cars? If not, what kinda state they in at present?

Certainly am! Particularly the RA28. Love those mustang-esque looks.

Recently finished helping my mate restore his mkII Golf and would love to own one of these motors. Have just fallen in love with their exterior stylings!

You got any pictures of either of the cars? If not, what kinda state they in at present?

Both cars have been stripped and welded throughout, both have new sills (gen Toyota) and new rear arches, the 22 has a new rear panel. Good interiors have been sourced and the RA28 has a 18R-G and P51 box ready to go in, whilst the 22 is waiting for a 2T-B rebuild. Replacement panels are being prepared now, and both shells need preparing and painting.

Both are rolling, but I will be stripping and rebuilding both front and rear suspensions before letting them go.

On the downside - the 22 has a webasto roof which needs restoring, but I havn't made up my mind to do that or to put in a new roof.

If you wanted different engines, particular colour or even a choice of interiors in the case of the 22 it can be done!

I will post .jpgs but I have a busy weekend coming - Castle Coombe etc, so please be patient.

I to would like to see some pictures of these lovely machines :thumbsup:

Sounds Great! being able to choose colour wold be awesome. Don't have too many requirements in the way of engine, etc... Would love a reasonable engine that i could tune up later though. Wat's the 18R-G like in that respect?

Apart from that, and a way of putting a flip out multimedia screen in the dash (need it to be able to show demos of my band), anything goes really. But what kind of interior's goin in the 28?

Sounds Great! being able to choose colour wold be awesome. Don't have too many requirements in the way of engine, etc... Would love a reasonable engine that i could tune up later though. Wat's the 18R-G like in that respect?

Apart from that, and a way of putting a flip out multimedia screen in the dash (need it to be able to show demos of my band), anything goes really. But what kind of interior's goin in the 28?

Well, the 18R-G has limited possibilities compared to a more modern unit, but you can start by changing the cams and using Webers instead of the standard Mikini-Solex (the advantage is that a greater range of jets are available for the Weber). After that its valves, pistons, timing gear etc - its all basic engineering, bolting bits on - (No ECUs here....)

A good 18R-G should be good for up to 200BHP before they become high-maintenance. If you want more power than that you would be better off investing in a different engine.

I've never put a screen in a 28, but I'd welcome the challenge - the dash is a true mid 70s slab of plastic wood and well, plastic, but there are possibilites with the glove box or centre console!

Both cars are that b#o#dy awful insipid yellow at present - the plan is to respray both in a strong chrome yellow, but of course it can be anything you want. anything now

Well i'm sure 200BHP would suffice for the time being! :thumbsup: Nah, sounds good, not TOO complicated to upgrade over time.

But yellow? Not too fond of yellow personally. Would love it to look like this baby - www.totalrpm.com/car/688

WRC Mica Blue is the colour for me! Really is the picture that made me want a RA28...mmmmmm........

And as for the screen, if the interior is anything like in the one above, i'm sure it can be done! I hope! Lookin forward to seein the pics!

Matt

Out of curiosity, what alternative engines are there to the 18rg? Been lookin bout and they seem pretty damn good, but was just wonderin..... ;)

And how did ur weekend at castle coombe go? Anything unusual to be seen?

Just a quick question....

Does the 18rg engine run on unleaded petrol or dooes it require conversion?

Been getting confused info looking around the subject.

OK

Apologies for the long silence - spending 6 hours in a 22GT going to and from Castle Coombe last weekend left me with a trapped nerve in my back - I could stand up and lie down, but sitting in front of a computer has not been a possibility, until now. And it was the car journey, not, as some have suggested, leaping from the wardrobes / mantlepiece / fireplace in a moment of unbridled passion. That was last Christmas.

Anyhow, alternative engines. I am currently preparing a TA22 to receive a 4-AGZE - fits right in, no problems. I also have an upcoming project to fit a Rover Vitesse V8 into an unsuspecting TA23. The engine currently lives in a TA22, but it's a very tight fit. The extra room in a 23 (or 28) will make it a much more practical proposition. There are other engines - 3T-GTE, 1G-EU etc which will fit, but finding them is another matter. M series engines from MA60/MA70 Supras can be made to fit which much fiddling around (radiators in the boot and so on), and even the twin turbo unit from the JZA80s can be made to fit, but only if you want to rebuild the front of the car. The only problem with the latter is that it is pretty much uncharted waters, and you may just end up paying a lot of money for something that might be a dog to drive - it may be more satisfying to just buy a JZA80.

The 18R-G will run on unleaded, as will all early Celica engines except the SOHC 18R, which lacks the necessary hardened valve seats.

As for Castle Coombe, the only unusual things there where Chris, Me, Chris's 22GT and a rather fine white TA23 which was 4 cars ahead in the queue to get in. Despite the queues, the hale, not meeting anyone else from the TOC, the police and spending 2 hours in the wrong car park, it was a great day. There was some very interesting stuff happening on the track - Manic Starlet, 240Zs etc, and lots of interesting stuff to look at on the stands and in the car parks, once you got past 4 million Subarus.

As soon as we parked up in the right place, lots of people, including Banzai magazine, took a shine to the 22 and took lots of pictures, asking us penetrating questions like 'Wotisit then?' No one under 25 believed it was a Celica (there was nearly a fight at one point, because as we all know, Celicas are front wheel drive....) and called us 'Yo, Retro Duuuuuudes!' which we got used to in the end. Many thanks to Steve for the Stand Pass.

Finally, I have taken pictures of the 28 and various other projects that are under way, and as soon as I can figure out how to post them somewhere, I will!

Ooh, tough luck with the back, sounds painful – ya need some comfier seats, lad!! (see, we believe you......!?)

Hmmm, interesting bout the engines, some different alternatives, particularly the 4AGZE. And the V8 sounds like a beast but I get the impression that my insurance costs good rise slightly with a motor like that! I’m only young!! Hehe! Been reading into the 18rg’s though, and they sound decent, especially some of the tunings people have carried out. Prob be the one for me.

Well I’m looking forward to the pics and further updates, what kinda timescale are your main projects running on at the mo? Must be a bit hard to work on them with your back that sore!

Well, the 18R-G is probably best as its the easiest & probably cheapest way to bring a smile to your face....good choice!

This was supposed to be a hobby I started to off-set the stresses of my day job. Every car I have completed brings more phone calls and emails and at this point, working evenings and weekends, I have enough work booked to keep me occupied until November/December. After that, assuming no more work is booked in, (fat chance) I have a yard with another 18 elderly Celicas (and a Levin) of my own to work on. Bored I am not.

Still working on getting pictures posted somewhere...this site doesn't make it easy...

Well, the 18R-G is probably best as its the easiest & probably cheapest way to bring a smile to your face....good choice!

This was supposed to be a hobby I started to off-set the stresses of my day job.  Every car I have completed brings more phone calls and emails and at this point, working evenings and weekends, I have enough work booked to keep me occupied until November/December.  After that, assuming no more work is booked in, (fat chance) I have a yard with another 18 elderly Celicas  (and a Levin) of my own to work on.  Bored I am not.

Still working on getting pictures posted somewhere...this site doesn't make it easy...

Busy Man. Dya make much money out of it or is it very much a hobby, ie you dont care bout the dosh?

and if it's any easier, you could send the pics to my email: demonvincent@lycos.co.uk

bit off topic but

Theres a MK1 golf Shell on eBay with no engine

:thumbsup:

Bout the golf, cheers very much. passed on the notice to another VW nut i know.

He's thinking of putting a Vauxhall 2.4 GSi engine out of an Astra into to it. Apperently he just had it lying around!!! Always said that lad had too much time on his hands if he's takin on challenges like that.....

But back to toyotas.... Was just wondering if anyone knew what spec alternator the 1970's celica's had???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there mate.

Just wonderin if there was any updates/pics bout the celicas?