Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

90 Camry Sunroof Problems

CamryBlue

Hi,

Just picked up a 1990 Camry DX with 123k miles on for my girlfriend, long-time owner of another '90 Camry which is dying of transmission problems and body rust with 220k miles.

Anyway, the DX has a power sunroof. Here's the weird part -- the motor runs when the switch is pressed, but the sunroof won't retract. I'm guessing it's a cable problem or a gear problem, but I'm in the dark when it comes to sunroof systems. The roof acts like it WANTS to move, but won't go maybe more than 1/16" of an inch, it just sort of jerks when the motor first kicks in, but won't move

The Haynes manual doesn't even MENTION sunroofs, and I haven't been able to find a copy of the factory shop manual yet.

Anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

Regards,

Derek

P.S. When I get this fixed, I have a power seatbelt problem I'd love to ask you about! :)

;) camryblue...re your sunroof prob,

Try retracting the roof fully with the switch,then manually shove it back with your hands (It may take a bit of prising if it hasn't moved for a while).When you've got it fully opened and the motor thinks its open, then close it with the switch. If it works then grease all the visible rollers and cams. If it doesn't then grease them anyway and operate it by hand:remembering to engage the motor/switch beforehand.

This sounds straightforward to me but then again i've done it before.........any problems just ask. :bookworm:

Tao,

Thanks for the advice! I did what you mentioned last night, I retracted the switch the whole way, then pulled the top open, and was able to close it with the switch afterwards. I did this twice with no problems. It was starting to drizzle, though, and so I didn't grease anything yet. Is white lithium grease acceptable for this application?

Regards,

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

White lithium grease ?? thought thats what bipolar peeps took.

I guess any grease will do.

regards.....Tao

• 2 weeks later...

I greased the sunroof but it is still operating problematically. I've been using it opening and closing it by hand, though, which works. Any info on how to replace the cables on this baby?

Regards,

Derek

:( sorry cant help with that one, i learnt to live with opening it manually

but we dont get many sunny days here so it was no hardship.

the real......... :bye:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links