Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa Engine Management Warning Light, Urgent.

I have new style toyota previa, done 80,000 miles. About half a year ago the little engine warning light came on, we took it to our dealer who said there was nothing wrong and turned it off. It has come back on and been turned off many times with no problem found. Now we have come to sell the car and really need light off, the main dealer said they had new software in to update the EMS but i would like to know what is causing this problem, any help would b greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My year 2000 CDX is doing this as well ! Did the dealer charge you to check it? I have found disconnecting the Battery for 30mins turns the light off - but I never know when its going to come back on again! I have read it can come on for reasons as stupid as the fuel filler cap not being done up tight enough? That isnt the problem with mine..

Good luck - please post back if solve it as it very annoying on an expensive car!

no the dealer did no charge me to check it and turns it off for free but is just an annoyance, i am taking it in tomorrow to see if they can upgrade it. If not i will try tour Battery solution.

Thanks again.

i have the same trouble with our 2000 cdx.

a freind of mine has access to a universal manament diagnostic tool.

seems that the problem with ours is 1 of the 4 lamda sensors in the downpipe around the cats.

why they put 4 sensors on there when most cars get away with 1 is beyond me........

it turns itself of after driving a few hundred miles around town, but comes back on if you have a long haul on the motorway.

has made no difference to the economy so will just leave it for now.

j

We had this problem on our '02 Previa (40k miles), Lambda sensors were the problem for us too. A friendly service assistant that I know from another dealership told me that this is a common fault on this engine.

A failed sensor can result in poor fuel economy, elevated CO and HC emissions, poor idle, and hesitation during acceleration.

I was fortunate in that I got two sensors replaced under warranty.

any ideas how much those lamda sensor are at all?

spose i should think about fixing it at some stage.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just noticed this post.

We are having problems with Lambda sensors on our Previa 2.4CDX (2001). I recently had to have the Pre-Cat sensor replaced at a cost of nearly £200.

Last week the engine warning light came on again and Toyota diagnosed a Post-Cat sensor failure on the same side. This one came in at £149.

I decided to give one of the universal sensors that you can buy off the internet a go ......£30!

However, engine light still comes on a few minutes after startup. This was a risk the supplier said might happen but at £30 I thought I had to give it a go.

Has anyone else tried a universal sensor with any success? If not I will be off to MRT again......pretty poor in my book as the car has only done 35k

Matt

My engine management light has been on since I bought the car 5 years ago. I was also told about a software update that cured the problem but it didn't work for me. I've always use Toyota dealers for service but they just seem to ignore it. I had a problem with the engine missing just as I pulled away. (un-nerving on roundabouts) and sometimes struggled to start when hot. On Wednesday I booked it into a diagnostics center and they replaced all 4 lambda sensors (£700). Its running sweet now and feels alot more powerful.

On the way home guess what little light popped on?

Oh well, black insulation tape it is then..

i think its pretyy much safe to say that toyota know they have a problem with these then.

i really dont understand the need for 4 lamda sensors.

most stuff copes with 1 and if its real flash, 2 to check the cats working.

real pants in my book.

• 2 months later...

<_< I have a Previa GLS 2.4 from October 02. I can't remember exactly the first time the Engine Warning light came on but it was around 80,000 miles and (I believe!) before the warranty expired in July 2004. I made 2-3 separate trips to my Toyota dealer and on each occasion they checked it and reset it and said they couldn't find the problem. Unfortunately I do not have a record of those checks (neither do they!). When it happened again (definitely outside warranty!) in December 2004 they said it would need new sensors and converter and it would cost £1300!! I elected not to have it done and the light has come on a few times since and after a while it goes off and returns a few days later. I can also confirm as per previous posts that disconnecting Battery turns it off for a while.

Seems to be no definite solution - may or may not be sensors - I'm tempted to go for the black sticky tape but can't help thinking there must be something more to it?

Apart from this major irritation I have had no problems at all with the car since I have had it - in fact it is the best car I've ever had.

This is a new and strange one for me! i didnt know there was what seems to be a common fault on the previas. The only time my CEL came on is when one of the coil packs when faulty. It was only recently i discovered i had 4 sensors, when i got hold of the ECU wiring info for the 2000 onwards petrol engine.

Im just wondering if mileage has anything to do with this, and the life span of the sensors.........

the light was on when we got ours ( had £80 off lol)

i think it had 40k or so on it.

i just think that we should all rip the crappy things off, give a middle digit to the tree hunging green people and revel in ore new found 10 - 15 bhp.

just my thoughts on it. lol

I Seem to have the same problem as above that has just started on my Previa.

after 100-200 miles on the motorway the engine light comes on

Fault code is LC1 and LC2 Bank 1 Bank 2 Cat efficiency below threshold

twice it has happended. Car has done 40,500 miles and is a Dec 2000 CDX - not had it go off yet without Dealer resetting - so can it be turned off by Battery removeal or will it go off on its own ?

Dealer claims that the CAT and SENSORS need changing cost of £650 + £90 labour

Claims Sensors are not possible to remove without damaging manifold as "welded" in (not sure about that personally) - this is waht they do under warranty and it fixes it they calim...

I read above that EC firmwar / Sensors or CAT could be problem has anyone had the same faults and found a Permanent fix ? temptred to try changing both Sensors firest but if they cost £150 a piece.......expensve experiement for a llight. I also have no difference in MPG or drivability -emissions test shows no difference between this year and last year on gases out the back os do not beleive anything is wrong with the CAT - i am slightly courious if i got a bad tank of fuel from supermarket (which i noramlly do not use...)

Light on again seems to now come on every few hundred miles - first time codes wre bank 1 & 2, second time bank 2 and third time bank 1.

Spoke at length with Dealer they do not have enough specific info to find the fault so they would update ECU firmware, change Sensors and Cat @£1300 - normally this has been on Cars under warranty.

Dealer can investigate and try to pin down the exact problem but it is apparently very time consuming and i would have to pay the labour for it (not exactly cheap with no guarantee of finding exactly the problem)

Deal said as i was unhappy to pay for the repairs needed (no kidding) they would contact customer relations, this morning i also did the same.

Discussion was upon the lines of from my point of view there must be a design or manufacturing weakness as 40K miles should really be viewed as a premature failure of components especially as my Previa does not appear to be an isolated case. I can accept Toyota should not pay 100% of bill as Car is 4.5 years old but the parts are arguably not fit for the purpose they were designed for as they have failed early and unless i fix it i cannot sell the car Privately or to a Dealer for a reasonable figure....i await to see now if they will pay for the parts....

Has anyone else tried Toyota's goodwill on this fault? any Success ? My only experience has been with Volvo who were always very good and fair with this type of problem normally picking up at least 1/2 the bill....

I hate things not being 100% with the Car i bought a Toyota as the family mobile to just work I hate giving dealers money to fix things.

We have just had ours mot'ed and the bloke that owns the garage was telling me that he also had the same issues with his landcruiser.

His words were " I see you have the usuall toyota issue with the engine management light then"

Just about sums it up i think.

Hope you have some luck getting it all sorted out.

It is becoming ever obvious that this is a large scale problem, maybe across a few models in the toyota range.

Do any of you think that we should try and get something national going on? e.g. watchdog, top gear or something along those lines.

Toyota seem to pride themselves on reliability, but it appears that this is not always the case!

Let us all know how you get on with customer relations.

cheers

jason

I spoke to the service manager at my local dealers about it, he doesnt think theres a big problem, he did say however that hes only ever done a couple, and that perhaps with us being on the forum and more concentrated, it could just be that it seems like a big issue. Obviously i dont agree with that, but am keeping an eye on things.

I have however just purchased and received this diagnostic tool, and will be keeping a close eye on things.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=7994065908

I have new style toyota previa, done 80,000 miles. About half a year ago the little engine warning light came on, we took it to our dealer who said there was nothing wrong and turned it off. It has come back on and been turned off many times with no problem found. Now we have come to sell the car and really need light off, the main dealer said they had new software in to update the EMS but i would like to know what is causing this problem, any help would b greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have the Lucida and presume that a lot of things are the same. When I first got mine as an import, the oil pressure warning light came on after first picking it up. Eventually it went out but comes back on during bad weather and also when I change the oil and filter. Again, it eventually goes out and stays out til next time. I was told that it could be a faulty connection or crud in the sender switch underneath the car. I have never got round to cleaning the switch yet cos it isn't lit at the moment!

Regards

Freece1t

any news yet nap???

Awaiting phone call with Toyota's response.

Dealer has been extremely helpful and took this up on my behalf. They have been filling in various forms and faxing information back and fowards. Hopeful that Toyota MAY pay for some (i hope all!!) of the parts......this would still leave me with the labour...

as soon as i get news will post.

nathan

Toyotas response:

No they will not contribute to any repair work as the car is outside of warranty.

Anybody want to buy a December 2004 Previa CDX ? And no even though i think the car is fantastic (apart form the acient slow changing autobox -really needs a modern 5 speed auto) i wont be changing it for another toyota i will go back to Volvos at least they have a reasonable response to dealing with this type of problem.

sorry to here that nap.

I think we could realy do with finding out how wide spread this problem is.

maybe toyota would be a little more understanding if it became a major headache for them?

I see this thread has had over 400 reads.

Is there anyone else that would like to let us know of similar probs..

• 4 weeks later...

Don' know if i will keep the Car or not, light is back to going on and off, can stay of for 1500 miles at a time and then appears to come on for @300 miles and goes off again.

My main gripe is actually with the Dealer, i feel im getting the run around. I spoke to Toyota who as i think previously posted somewhere claimed that an ECU update fixes this.

Dealer says it does not

Dealer says it is not one clear thing that causes this the only way they know how to resolve is to change the lot apparently the Sensors "weld" themselves in so they cannot remove them without damaging the cat hence why it has to be changed...

gut instinct is they do not have a clue.

I have asked them to quote to do diagnostics to try to identify the exact fault and im told they can't because the fault codes are only general.

Took it to an MOT station exhaust gas readings are the same with light on or off

i have over the years tried several different Toyota dealers in the area and all fall far short of inspiring any sort of confidence in their abilities i guess they only reason they get away with it is the general good reliability of the brand.

Going to look at an 807 this W/E (amazed to find myself doing that however the dealer is very good...i know the Car has niggles but i have actually had more niggles than i had expected from a Toyota with the Previa, early on had troubles with sliding doors and the boot all fixed easily though guess i had better renew my RAC membership...

FINALY I BELIEVE AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT IS HAPPENING

I CANNOT VERIFY THIS AND IT IS NOT OFFICAL IN ANY WAY.

After ringing round several dealers i finally found a workshop manager who told me the following:

"what is happening is that the Catalyst is disintegrating and this mucks up the post cat sensors causing them to mis read and can damage them.

The old Sensors are difficult to remove as the thread is very coubik and it corrodes etc.

The cure is a new CAT, firmware update and new Sensors."

i was encouraged as mine as with low mileage version and full dealer service call Toyota Customer relations again (Tel: 01737 367600). so round two of my trying to get a contribution to the repair cost.....will keep you all posted...

Can anyone speculate on if this is the actual cause?

• 2 weeks later...

<_< I have recently had a problem with the engine warning light on my 3 1/2 year old previa.

My toyota dealer advised me that the catlytic convertor had to be replaced even though the mileage was only 44,000 miles.

I spoke to Toyota UK and complained that even though my car was out of warranty this was not normal wear and tear and they should pay for the replacement.

After they spoke to my dealer I was offered a 1/3 discount of the normal price. I have been told that the new catlaytic converter is an upgrade and should be much better. However they would not contribute to the replacement of any defective sensors and at the time they replaced 1 sensor and since the repair another sensor has failed and I have booked the car in for a further sensor to be replaced at £120. . It seems to me that Toyota know there are faulty catalytic converters about.

FINALY I BELIEVE AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT IS HAPPENING

I CANNOT VERIFY THIS AND IT IS NOT OFFICAL IN ANY WAY.

After ringing round several dealers i finally found a workshop manager who told me the following:

"what is happening is that the Catalyst is disintegrating and this mucks up the post cat sensors causing them to mis read and can damage them.

The old Sensors are difficult to remove as the thread is very coubik and it corrodes etc.

The cure is a new CAT, firmware update and new Sensors."

i was encouraged as mine as with low mileage version and full dealer service call Toyota Customer relations again (Tel: 01737 367600). so round two of my trying to get a contribution to the repair cost.....will keep you all posted...

Can anyone speculate on if this is the actual cause?